The Student Room Group

Declining 'best' uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
I know this is an UG thread but it's make me feel better about potentially declining LSE for Manchester for my Masters. I'm still deciding though, I'm so torn. :frown:

For what course?

I would guess for postgrads it isn't a hard a choice due to the cost of the courses?

I declined York for UEA. I'm only an undergrad so not fussed about the Russell Group shine.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
My godfather went to Oxford and hated it, he went to a different uni for his Masters and loved it there, I think being happy at your university is very important, it's not stupid rejecting Oxbridge if you think you'd be miserable, maybe someone else got his place who was dying to go. That's a better thing to do if he really didn't want to be there. Besides, Manchester's a good uni.

I never told him Manchester wasn't a good uni, as I said before, if he's happy with his choice then so am I. I called him stupid because he's going to Manchester because there's better clubs there than there would be at Cambridge.
Original post by danielaandrea
I never told him Manchester wasn't a good uni, as I said before, if he's happy with his choice then so am I. I called him stupid because he's going to Manchester because there's better clubs there than there would be at Cambridge.

Oh right, sorry :lol: I thought you meant he thought he was a bit daft for declining Cambridge even though he likes Manchester. :tongue: That's quite funny actually.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
For what course?

I would guess for postgrads it isn't a hard a choice due to the cost of the courses?

True, but I've got significant fee scholarships for both so I would sort of be getting a bargain of sorts whichever I went to.

See sig for courses :smile:
I declined Warwick and Exeter for Royal Holloway. I didn't like the feel of the other universities as much and the psychology department at Holloway is arguably as good as (if not better) than the departments at the other two so there was no real reason for me not to go for Holloway.

Well, aside from 'prestige', whatever that may be. But going to Holloway hasn't stopped me in being successfully admitted to several competitive Master's courses at more 'prestigious' universities so it hasn't been a bad decision at all. In fact, I've had the three best years of my life here.
My Ex declined QUB for Ulster - Coleraine. She liked the Beach :rolleyes:
Um... St Andrews is higher ranked than Glasgow for me, but I declined it just because I thought living in a city would suit me a lot more than a village :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by boredbeth13
I started this thread as I'm considering declining Durham! I also have an offer from Sheffield although my main alternative is York :smile: And my exact reason for questioning Durham is that I'm from a very working class area and am worried the lifestyle won't be for me. I know that York is still quite middle class but it's definitely not anywhere near as traditional as Durham. It's so nice to see someone in the same position as me!

Just as a warning, York also has some really posh people from what friends have told me and you may end up in Catered there as well due to the way the accomodation application system works. I can understand the concerns about Castle but there are lots of ordinary people there too and with the new college allocation system, the Freshers you meet will be a lot more mixed than in previous years :smile:
Declined UCL for Bath. :3
Reply 109
I declined Durham for Sheffield!!!! I also had an offer for York :smile: for me personally no offence to anyone I just didn't think Durham was that great, it sounds good but it wasn't a good as York or Sheffield for my course, so it just wasn't for me :smile: try not to look at prestige too much :smile:
Many people in this thread have declined Durham for either York or Sheffield. Telling.
Reply 111
Declined Warwick for Southampton.

Don't regret it at all.
Reply 112
Original post by The Nerd King
They are both bad universities, it wouldn't really matter which one you went to.

You must be the troll of the day. :rolleyes:
Reply 113
Passed up a place at Durham in favour of Manchester. It was a tough choice, but I'm happy where I'm at :tongue:
I declined Warwick for Uni of Birmingham, although that was more due to living expenses and the fact I can't afford to move away from my family this year. But I think it will get rid of the added pressure of attending a higher rated university. We'll just have to see. :smile:

I am an avid reader of the Guardian and because of this I declined Bristol and disregarded Edinburgh for Heriot-watt :rolleyes:
Reply 116

The tables mean next to nothing. They're good universities and you know it. :wink:
Reply 117

Well that's very short sighted. I declined Warwick for Nottingham. It is entirely dependant upon the subject you wish to study, in my case Nottingham ranks seven places higher than Warwick for Law at number 6. I'm sure you are very intelligent and attend a top ten university so a fully reasoned argument really shouldn't be beyond you. These tables are rather trivial anyway when you consider the contrasts between the rankings of the complete university guide and the guardian. So learn a little humility and don't be a snob, it won't get you anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
No, they seriously are not. The league tables do not mean nothing.

The thing is, they are good though... :/
Reply 119
Yes, well you should have taken other rankings into account. Nottingham and Leicester are certainly no Oxbridge university. They do not even compare to UCL, LSE, KCL or Imperial. :rolleyes:

No-one is comparing them to any of those universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending