The Student Room Group

100% Reward?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mate of mine got 100/100ums in 5 of his 6 maths modules and he never even got anything from the school let alone from the board.

As for the home econ thing I took it at gcse, the subject was so stupid they probably got chefs to mark it tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
This guy at got 99% in his AH maths and got an award from some institute and the SQA. I think it was something like £100.
Original post by yaboy
mate of mine got 100/100ums in 5 of his 6 maths modules and he never even got anything from the school let alone from the board.

As for the home econ thing I took it at gcse, the subject was so stupid they probably got chefs to mark it tbh.

We're discussing Scottish qualifications. :tongue: Our exams aren't modular - it's just one big final exam at the end of the school year.
How is anyone supposed to get 100% in AH Biology or Chemistry, the projects are always marked harshly

Original post by Bubblyminty
This guy at got 99% in his AH maths and got an award from some institute and the SQA. I think it was something like £100.

How annoyed would you be at losing a single mark.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Shengis14
How is anyone supposed to get 100% in AH Biology or Chemistry, the projects are always marked harshly

It's very frustrating...:tongue:

A member on this website got 99% in his AH Maths prelim :tongue:
Original post by Shengis14

The guy got into Cambridge to study mathematics so I guess he wasn't to bothered in the end!
Original post by TheFOMaster
A member on this website got 99% in his AH Maths prelim :tongue:

I feel so stupid compared to these people...my prelim results ranged from 74% in english to 95% in history.

These people who get near full marks must be geniuses. Seriously, they make me feel ashamed of myself :biggrin:.
Trust me, I couldn't get 95 % in a History Prelim.
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Trust me, I couldn't get 95 % in a History Prelim.

I just have a good memory and I worked hard on my essays during the year. I did put a lot of time researching and writing them up. That was it. I am pretty dumb underneath that though compared to all these people that get 100% at advanced higher.
I feel so stupid compared to these people...my prelim results ranged from 74% in english to 95% in history.

These people who get near full marks must be geniuses. Seriously, they make me feel ashamed of myself :biggrin:.

For me this year its 60% -> 89% for Biology and Maths (although, I lost 7% in Maths unfairly, and I will continue to argue this!)

Look at it this way, you got AAAAA. If that was your final you'd be in the top 2.6% of your year group in Scotland. Pretty big accomplishment in my opinion! Also your history result is near enough for me to consider it near top marks, due to the subjectivity of the subject :smile:
Original post by TheFOMaster
For me this year its 60% -> 89% for Biology and Maths (although, I lost 7% in Maths unfairly, and I will continue to argue this!)

Look at it this way, you got AAAAA. If that was your final you'd be in the top 2.6% of your year group in Scotland. Pretty big accomplishment in my opinion! Also your history result is near enough for me to consider it near top marks, due to the subjectivity of the subject :smile:

Well if I add on my extended essay, which my teacher think should get 30/30, then I will get 97%. But he took off a couple of marks on each of my timed essays because he didn't want to award them full marks so that I could have "something" to improve on. It just made me feel even dumber to be honest that my essays weren't good enough. Anyway the whole history department at my school then had a dispute as to whether they marked me too harshly. They went looking for extra marks in other people's papers who got like 40% to try and get them a pass. But they are supposed to mark equally -_-.

I think for history all you need is a good memory and decent essay skills. Oh and lighting fast writing skills.

So I can sympathise with you in your maths. If you should have been given your marks then you should be received them. The examiner will mark fairly so I am sure that you will get your Band 1 A :smile:. Nobody in my school got over 75% for their maths prelim so you have done amazing.

I do biology as well but I only managed to get 81%. I am not great at science but hopefully some more revision will boost this up to at least 85%.

I really want 5 A's this year but as my exams loom closer, I feel less confident :s-smilie:. I am not going to lie. I may have a mental breakdown this week tehe.
Well if I add on my extended essay, which my teacher think should get 30/30, then I will get 97%. But he took off a couple of marks on each of my timed essays because he didn't want to award them full marks so that I could have "something" to improve on. It just made me feel even dumber to be honest that my essays weren't good enough. Anyway the whole history department at my school then had a dispute as to whether they marked me too harshly. They went looking for extra marks in other people's papers who got like 40% to try and get them a pass. But they are supposed to mark equally -_-.

I think for history all you need is a good memory and decent essay skills. Oh and lighting fast writing skills.

So I can sympathise with you in your maths. If you should have been given your marks then you should be received them. The examiner will mark fairly so I am sure that you will get your Band 1 A :smile:. Nobody in my school got over 75% for their maths prelim so you have done amazing.

I do biology as well but I only managed to get 81%. I am not great at science but hopefully some more revision will boost this up to at least 85%.

I really want 5 A's this year but as my exams loom closer, I feel less confident :s-smilie:. I am not going to lie. I may have a mental breakdown this week tehe.

What did you write your EE on? I'm intrigued. :biggrin:
My prelim results ranged from a mediocre 56% in English (f****d up the second essay) to 99%.
I just have a good memory and I worked hard on my essays during the year. I did put a lot of time researching and writing them up. That was it. I am pretty dumb underneath that though compared to all these people that get 100% at advanced higher.

Seriously, the fact that you're predicted 30/30 for your extended essay is pretty damn impressive. Our teacher has only ever had one student in his 12 years of teaching achieve such a mark.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Seriously, the fact that you're predicted 30/30 for your extended essay is pretty damn impressive. Our teacher has only ever had one student in his 12 years of teaching achieve such a mark.

Haha I don't think that I will get 30 in the final exam. I dunno, I just worked hard on it I guess and the topic choice was pretty easy. Maybe 28 at the most?

I did mine of votes for women and structured my essay around a old NAB question. It wasn't particularly lengthy: I would say around 2,700 words when I typed it up and I wrote about 17 sides of paper in the 2 hours. But my writing did become increasingly bigger so that would explain the ridiculous number of pages I used. What did you write the essay on?

What did you manage to get 99% on? Amazing btw!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ladymarshmallow
My prelim results ranged from a mediocre 56% in English (f****d up the second essay) to 99%.

Work on close reading and you will get an A, it is only around 65% to get an A. Sometimes this gets lowered and it was 63% two years ago so I am hopeful hehe.
Work on close reading and you will get an A, it is only around 65% to get an A. Sometimes this gets lowered and it was 63% two years ago so I am hopeful hehe.

Yes, I've been working on it recently. What I find tricky is expressing my answers in coherent English and I am trying to curtail my tendency to waffle. :tongue: Both of my folio pieces are predicted category 2s, which is reassuring as well.
Haha I don't think that I will get 30 in the final exam. I dunno, I just worked hard on it I guess and the topic choice was pretty easy. Maybe 28 at the most?

I did mine of votes for women and structured my essay around a old NAB question. It wasn't particularly lengthy: I would say around 2,700 words when I typed it up and I wrote about 17 sides of paper in the 2 hours. But my writing did become increasingly bigger so that would explain the ridiculous number of pages I used. What did you write the essay on?

What did you manage to get 99% on? Amazing btw!

My essay was around the same length as yours (2700-2800), although I somehow only wrote 12 pages in the exam. I did mine on changing American attitudes towards immigrants during the 1920s, which was actually very interesting to research. Of course, my grade will depend on the marker, but my teacher claimed it could get a 28-29 with a fair marker. On the other hand, some markers can be notoriously strict.. :frown:
I got 99 in German, although there's obviously a huge element of luck involved. Personally, I feel that 95 in History is remarkable given the highly subjective nature of the subject. With languages, at this stage it's more about pure linguistic aptitude as opposed to literary analysis so it's less subjective. I got 86 in History, which I was pretty pleased with, and am feeling pretty confident about the exam. (It's the opposite for modern studies)
Am I being too presumptuous in asking this, but may I be allowed to read your extended essay (through PM/email)? I realise I sound so nosy, but I just find History so interesting. :colondollar:

That really wasn't fair if you were marked harshly, but look on the bright side! You were too good for them :wink: You have a really strong chance of getting 100% in the final, which considering its an essay subject, is even more impressive!

I'm still considering History as my third subject at uni :tongue: you don't need any background and I loved SG, just never got the chance to take it on to Higher :smile: I have no idea where Biology went wrong... In Higher I was always pulling up 80+%, but now the only reason I can get a B is because my multiple choice is ok (I got the top multiple choice mark in the prelim, but the worst extended response :tongue:)

Be confident. You'll do better if you don't worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest