The Student Room Group

Premed course after second time medicine rejections?

hey :smile:

I've recently received my last rejection from medical school. Receiving grades AAA, completing tonnes of medical related work experience, completing and still doing 2 years of voluntary work with a charity organisation and having outside interests, I have been rejected for the second time. I even completed a very productive gap year consisting of lots of travelling and more work and work experience! Disheartened, I have been looking at many alternative routes. One that caught my eye was the medipathway premed course.

http://medipathways.com/premed.html

I was wondering if anyone knew much about the course and the statistics of students that got into medical school in the UK after completing it. Or if anyone actually did the course and is now in a UK medical school because of it?

They said that last year 77% of their students got into medical school but those stats include medical schools abroad. I have phoned them to ask how many got into a UK medical school but they said they didn't have the statistics for that. I do not want to apply for the course and study it if my only chance to study medicine is abroad, which I can't afford. (20000 euros a year!)

Would really appreciate some advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[QUOTE=Hello :) [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];41767135]I have phoned them to ask how many got into a UK medical school but they said they didn't have the statistics for that

Sounds like bull****. I would assume the statistics are poor/extremely poor if they aren't willing to divulge them. There is no way they "don't know" how many go on to a UK course.

If you can work out where abouts in your application you've gone wrong, it is definitely worth applying to medicine again. I would say the most common mistakes are applying to the wrong schools, or not expressing yourself and your experiences in the right way, in your PS.

Or, if you do think that an alternative route is the way, then there are much more reputable access courses, transfer options or foundation years than the one you've given.

EDIT: A quick google reveals many reports of the "medipathway" course being a complete scam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Not recommended.

Their record of UK schools admissions must be dismal - probably lower than this of the general pool of applicants, because people who attend there did not get to med schools in the first place.

All the schools abroad they list - you can be admitted to any of them without losing a year and spending £16,000.

Schools in Eastern Europe do not cost 20,000 euro/year, but with 8,000-15,000 euro it is still epensive. The decision of going to med school abroad is a difficult one.

Everyone's situation is different, but your best chance is probably to try again next year. There must be some problem with your application - maybe your UKCAT, PS or your interview skills (you don't say whether you were rejected before or after interview). Applying to wrong school is very common reason for not getting in. If you do your research and analyze what was wrong with your application, there is no reason whatsoever to not to get in next year. You have grades, experience, and , most importantly, you are determined and committed. Good luck.

Edited: You are new on TSR, so you may not realize how helpful it is. You'll find information about schools that are not on their websites, which will help you to determine which schools you should apply to. You will find information about UKCAT, BMAT and interview preparation. PS helper will help you prepare the best PS. You are in the right place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Pigling
Sounds like bull****. I would assume the statistics are poor/extremely poor if they aren't willing to divulge them. There is no way they "don't know" how many go on to a UK course.

If you can work out where abouts in your application you've gone wrong, it is definitely worth applying to medicine again. I would say the most common mistakes are applying to the wrong schools, or not expressing yourself and your experiences in the right way, in your PS.

Or, if you do think that an alternative route is the way, then there are much more reputable access courses, transfer options or foundation years than the one you've given.

EDIT: A quick google reveals many reports of the "medipathway" course being a complete scam.

Sorry, but what you are saying is totally untrue. I called them today and they told me exactly what I wanted to know, (including stats with actual) and were actually genuinely very helpful. I also know of students that have got into UK med schools cos of these guys and have been doing so for about 10 years - so if they were a scam, how come they are not shut down and/or sued to the ground yet(?). It looks like they are growing in popularity and success, so it seems that the opposite of what you are saying is true. If anything they are claiming is false, then I am sure UK universities would be the first to complain. I even Googled then, as you suggested and found nothing, so not sure if you are just someone who is out to get them.(?).
Other access courses you mention are not really suitable for someone with AAA/B because these courses are not a cover-up for not getting in first time round.
I have also called up a number of medical schools and they have told me that access courses are useless for someone who has not got in because they missed the grades at A-levels.
I also asked them about the Medipathways 2-year BSc. course and ALL of them said that they would accept it, as long as I got a 2.1 as a graduate.
The way i see it, if there is someone out there trying to assit and has come up with something unique to get in, then more power to them!

I initially applied for their Pre-Med but I am going to 'upgrade' to their 2-year BSc, as I was going to go for graduate entry anyway, but at least this way i save a year and therefore ca$h..

Hope i haven't missed something but this does look like a great option
Original post by n1kita

The way i see it, if there is someone out there trying to assit and has come up with something unique to get in, then more power to them!

You are assuming that graduates from this course got into medical school because of the course. It may well have been despite it. People do a great deal in two years. We have no way of knowing if, rather than this BSc, their success was based on:

1. A better personal statement produced over a longer time and with better editing than their first.

2. A higher UKCAT score as a result of more preparation.

3. More work experience/volunteering.

You also need to weigh up the value of the BSc itself. What if you complete the BSc and are unsuccessful in your medical application again and want to change career direction? What if during the BSc you find another more exciting career path? Will the skills in this BSc be enough to allow you to pursue a career in science (just an example)? Will it be accepted on MSc programmes? Will it be accepted for graduate training programmes?

Original post by Pigling

I think you would be wise to take heed of Pigling's concerns and investigate thoroughly before making any decisions.
the best way into medicine (other than straight medicine degree) is to do a biology degree eg Anatomy, Immunology etc then do a postgraduate in medicine
Reply 6
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
You are assuming that graduates from this course got into medical school because of the course. It may well have been despite it. People do a great deal in two years. We have no way of knowing if, rather than this BSc, their success was based on:

1. A better personal statement produced over a longer time and with better editing than their first.

2. A higher UKCAT score as a result of more preparation.

3. More work experience/volunteering.

You also need to weigh up the value of the BSc itself. What if you complete the BSc and are unsuccessful in your medical application again and want to change career direction? What if during the BSc you find another more exciting career path? Will the skills in this BSc be enough to allow you to pursue a career in science (just an example)? Will it be accepted on MSc programmes? Will it be accepted for graduate training programmes?

I think you would be wise to take heed of Pigling's concerns and investigate thoroughly before making any decisions.

Thanks for this, but what you are saying is pretty much common knowledge to anyone serious about getting into medical/dental school. ie: good Personal statement, UKCAT, work experience, etc.
Thing is, if someone spent 2-3 years just preparing for this, with no BSc to show for it, I am pretty sure medical/dental schools in UK would shoot you down for not constructively enhancing your application over time. eg: If one applicant has a BSc with a 2.1 and the other doesn't, yet both have a good UKCAT/work experience, etc, its obvious which one will appeal more to them.
And besides, since no-one can guarantee UK medical or dental school entry after a BSc, yet when I contact UK medical/dental schools directly they are telling me that the Medipathways BSc is fine for entry, as long as I get a 2.1, then why should I be listening to totally faceless anonymous strangers on here on a matter as important as this?
I also contacted the University of Buckingham who run this 2-year degree course with them and told me that its all in line with QAA, in terms of quality and content and that the main differences between this degree and others is that:

- only 2-years in length
- designed for medical/dental school entry - so I can apply and leave even after the first year, without being classed as a 'drop-out'.
- Every UK medical and dental school in the country has been informed about it and so far support this course - ie: will not penalise anyone who has done it in 2-years.
- 2 Medical schools i called said that they would actually prefere those that have shown initiative to display ability to take on a greater work-load over 2 years then over 3.
- if at the end of the BSc, I decide I want to do a Masters or move into employment then I would be considered in exactly the same way as any other 3-year BSc graduate.

I am sorry, but really doesn't sound like a 'scam' to me, in fact quite the opposite. Those in doubt, please contact them, UK medical/dental schools or University of Buckingham directly and see for yourselves and let me know if I have missed anything.

Thanks

Niki
Original post by HelpImAHostage!
the best way into medicine (other than straight medicine degree) is to do a biology degree eg Anatomy, Immunology etc then do a postgraduate in medicine

There are no 'postgraduate' pre-registration Medicine Courses in the UK.

As for the '2year ' aspect of the BSc being discussed if it's Buckingham it'll be their 'standard' 45 + week teaching year which covers 1 and a half years work for none clinical courses in a year by doing a third semester over the summer.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by n1kita
Thanks for this, but what you are saying is pretty much common knowledge to anyone serious about getting into medical/dental school.
Niki

The main reason I am averse to this course is the same reason you are keen on it: It is designed to get students into medical school.

If I was a university (which I am not) I would consider older applicants who have an achieved bachelors degree to be a great addition to the profession and to the university. Why? Because of the skills which graduates learn on their previous degrees: An achieved degree in Science shows you are numerate, literate, analytical. An achieved arts degree shows you can be critical, incisive, that you can handle vast volumes of information and review it.

Is there not a risk that a degree in 'how-to-get-into-medical-school studies' would be considered a poor second to a more traditional BSc or BA?

You mentioned that no medical schools have raised concerns about the programme. I would reserve judgement until someone attempts to apply with one.

If you want to get into medical school after a bachelors then do a life science/biomed related BSc. Hundreds of people get in every year this way. It is tried and tested.
(edited 10 years ago)
i might be stupid for saying this:stupid: but can you not apply for Biomedical science then try to transfer?

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bms/prospective_ug/transfers
Reply 10
Original post by n1kita
Sorry, but what you are saying is totally untrue. I called them today and they told me exactly what I wanted to know, (including stats with actual)

So what are these stats? How many medipathway graduates actually get into UK medical courses?

Also don't want to be paranoid but can't help finding it odd that you've created a new account just to rave about Medipathway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Well, chat forums are not something i have used before. However, this course is totally new to me, never heard of anything like it..and I dont know many others that are also so thought this thread is might help but needed to open an account...thats all ! :smile:.....I also have a deadline to make up my mind regarding finance and other offers I hold, so wanna make sure I dont make the wrong decision...

I am not raving about them! lol In fact, I went to their open seminar and grilled them on everything...I just want to make sure the advice given to me is accurate...I also want to meet other students going for this course too...
I know of TSR members who are here to just provoke controversy and steer students into a direction they think is right for them...

I also want to find out if this really is a scam as you have suggested, because I cant find any sign of it anywhere, can you back up what you say?
Reply 12
I also ant to say that if I get a 15k bursary from them, my entire BSc(Hons) will cost me 12k in fees. Yea, thats it! So sorry for getting excited about this, but if this is an opportunity i really want to get to the bottom of it! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by n1kita
Well, chat forums are not something i have used before. However, this course is totally new to me, never heard of anything like it..and I dont know many others that are also so thought this thread is might help but needed to open an account...thats all ! :smile:.....I also have a deadline to make up my mind regarding finance and other offers I hold, so wanna make sure I dont make the wrong decision...

I am not raving about them! lol In fact, I went to their open seminar and grilled them on everything...I just want to make sure the advice given to me is accurate...I also want to meet other students going for this course too...
I know of TSR members who are here to just provoke controversy and steer students into a direction they think is right for them...

I also want to find out if this really is a scam as you have suggested, because I cant find any sign of it anywhere, can you back up what you say?

How many of their graduates get into UK medical schools? I don't dismiss the course entirely, but can think of no good reason for them not to share this information.

If "getting into medical school" just means eventually paying to go to Europe, you may as well save your money and time by paying to go to Europe right now.

I find it extremely suspicious that on their own website they refer to their graduates as going to "medical school" (eg: any medical school), but compare this to statistics of students applying for the second time through UCAS to UK schools. Certainly the phrasing appears deliberately unclear/misleading to me.

<comment removed by moderation team>

I would recommend getting into medicine by your own merits instead of hoping that coughing up £1000s for a private course will magic you in. Call it my opinion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks for that Pigling....however i did quizz them on that too and they clearly stated that 67% got in last year into a UK medical school. They cant just say that without getting into trouble for it...and about the same before that. However, these students did have AAA at level.
Last year they were taking in students with BBC, but now its gone up to AAA for the premed. However for the BSc, its BBB. It does follow that if a students has anything less then AAA then they may as well forget UK medical school, unless the go down the graduate entry to medicine route.

You are right, their Dean is a little controversial, but he is definitely an High flier and therefore open to attack. All that concerns me, however, its getting into med school in the cheapest and quickest way.
What you said before was that the whole of Medipathways is a scam and just 'google it' but now ure saying its not really out there because Medipathways have somehow scrolled the entire internet to remove this. You are also now saying that you dont actually dismiss it entirely...so i hope you can see my predicament here...

Yes, they are asking for students to cough up thousands, but other uni's in the UK are asking me to to cough up even more with no bursary whatsoever.
I just get the feeling that cos they are new, unique and private (and pretty brave) that others who are 'home and dry' are in a good position to take swipes at them. All this means that students like me suffer and create more confusion.

But thanks for your opinion anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by n1kita
Thanks for that Pigling....however i did quizz them on that too and they clearly stated that 67% got in last year into a UK medical school. They cant just say that without getting into trouble for it...and about the same before that. However, these students did have AAA at level.

And how many applicants with AAA at A level who haven't given medipathways £1000s get into UK medical schools? If they have to meet the A level criteria anyway for the statistics to be something medipathways want to share... what's the point in doing medipathways?

Original post by n1kita
Medipathways have somehow scrolled the entire internet to remove this. You are also now saying that you dont actually dismiss it entirely...so i hope you can see my predicament here...

What I'm saying is that there's no/very little 3rd party information on medipathways, and they have a hell of a lot of advertisement virtually everywhere. Medipathways are not a reliable source on whether medipathways is worthwhile.

Original post by n1kita
Yes, they are asking for students to cough up thousands, but other uni's in the UK are asking me to to cough up even more with no bursary whatsoever.

If you get the maximum bursary from medipathways you will still be paying 2/3rds normal tuition through SLC. This for a degree which gets students into medicine who have the necessary grades to get into medicine anyway (from the only statistics they have provided)?

I say the same thing to all med students who meet A-level criteria for medicine already - doing a degree won't help you into medicine.

Original post by n1kita
I just get the feeling that cos they are new, unique and private (and pretty brave) that others who are 'home and dry' are in a good position to take swipes at them. All this means that students like me suffer and create more confusion.

But thanks for your opinion anyway.

What's brave about it? They'll get your money whether you go into medicine in the UK or not.

I'm not trying to take swipes at you or other applicants. Only the impression I get is that what can be done with medipathways can be done without them.

EDIT: Again, I get a dodgy impression from the school and their honesty with students overall. For example, the postgraduate medicine school has been promising to sponsor students for GMC accreditation "in the near future" for years. You can find threads of desperate international students enlisting on this basis, dating back years - and clearly all of them have walked away with a doctorate which will not help them to practice medicine in the UK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Pigling
And how many applicants with AAA at A level who haven't given medipathways £1000s get into UK medical schools? If they have to meet the A level criteria anyway for the statistics to be something medipathways want to share... what's the point in doing medipathways?

Yes, quite a lot I guess, but I am not one of them. I also know loads who have got AAA but still do not get in. What Medipathways are saying is that if I get in after their year 1 then fine, but if I dont then I just have to do one more year and I can re-apply again as a graduate. They are not saying they are the only route, but they are saying they are are a very good and secure route...
However, if I do a standard 3-year BSc, not only is that 1 more year and more expensive, I can only apply AFTER i finish the degree and get a 2.1.
So, on the understanding that I am going to do a BSc and go for graduate entry anyway, this does seem like a more secure option.

What I'm saying is that there's no/very little 3rd party information on medipathways, and they have a hell of a lot of advertisement virtually everywhere. Medipathways are not a reliable source on whether medipathways is worthwhile.

Sure, i know what. But, if you scroll up, you did say they are a scam and that if I Google them there is info confirming they are a complete scam. You even said they sound like Buls**it ....lol
But now it sounds like ure saying just the opposite...(not a dig, just an observation) :smile:

If you get the maximum bursary from medipathways you will still be paying 2/3rds normal tuition through SLC. This for a degree which gets students into medicine who have the necessary grades to get into medicine anyway (from the only statistics they have provided)?

I say the same thing to all med students who meet A-level criteria for medicine already - doing a degree won't help you into medicine.

No. students with BBB have no chance of getting in on A-levels alone. But if you get a 2.1 you will be considered 'again' by UK medical/dental schools. This is what the uni's told me, call them up yourself and confirm if you like. A few said they are not aware, but not a single one said anything negative.
Those with AAA might get in after the first year, but if they dont they just carry onto the 2nd (and final) year.
Surely this is just Medipathways being responsible? They could quite easily take on anyone and then let them down once their fees are paid and year later.

What's brave about it? They'll get your money whether you go into medicine in the UK or not.

I'm not trying to take swipes at you or other applicants. Only the impression I get is that what can be done with medipathways can be done without them.

Brave as in they are trailblazing in their approach to trying to get you into medical school. They will take your money yes, but other uni's will just take more money and more time anyway.
Do you know how to get into UK medical school with AAB, without a degree? If so, please don't post it here for all to see, but send me the formula and we will bottle it and make millions! :smile:

EDIT: Again, I get a dodgy impression from the school and their honesty with students overall. For example, the postgraduate medicine school has been promising to sponsor students for GMC accreditation "in the near future" for years. You can find threads of desperate international students enlisting on this basis, dating back years - and clearly all of them have walked away with a doctorate which will not help them to practice medicine in the UK.

This is their Medical school, which doesn't have anything to do with courses run by Medipathways. Finding stuff on their Dean or the time its taken to launch their medical school is hardly a reason to ditch them and just do something else.

Again, not backing them up cos they will probably end up with a lot of my money soon, but I am just playing devils advocate here. And so far i don't see any alternatives that match up to Medipathways.
Reply 17
Hey, Sorry, i am new here, and wasn't sure how quote below each of your points. I hope you can see my answers to your points above.

thanks x
Reply 18
Original post by n1kita
Sure, i know what. But, if you scroll up, you did say they are a scam and that if I Google them there is info confirming they are a complete scam. You even said they sound like Buls**it ....lol
But now it sounds like ure saying just the opposite...(not a dig, just an observation)

Excuse me but that post was months ago. I found a few testimonials saying to avoid the place and that it was a scam. Also I said "bull****" to they don't know how many go on to a UK medical school (more like they don't want to tell), which is what the OP quoted them as having said. I stand by that sentiment wherever an organisation "doesn't have" important statistics which may decide whether you invest or not.

Original post by n1kita
No. students with BBB have no chance of getting in on A-levels alone. But if you get a 2.1 you will be considered 'again' by UK medical/dental schools. This is what the uni's told me, call them up yourself and confirm if you like. A few said they are not aware, but not a single one said anything negative.

And medipathways have published no statistics on how many of their students with BBB at A-levels secure a position in a medical school in the UK... Why might that be?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by n1kita

This is their Medical school, which doesn't have anything to do with courses run by Medipathways. Finding stuff on their Dean or the time its taken to launch their medical school is hardly a reason to ditch them and just do something else.

Again, not backing them up cos they will probably end up with a lot of my money soon, but I am just playing devils advocate here. And so far i don't see any alternatives that match up to Medipathways.

How does the medical school which runs the courses have nothing to do with them? The knowledge that many have graduated with fairly useless degrees after being led to believe they would gain a qualification enabling them to work in the UK, and a Dean who seems to be all but a crook... It would bother me, I want to point it out to others that is all.

Fair enough if you don't have the grades and need a degree. But even under these circumstances, I would be cautious of a self-professed degree for "getting into medicine" over an alternative. That, however, is more speculative. Remember the OP I was originally addressing is amongst those who already has AAA and stands to gain little from a degree qualification (in terms of getting into medicine).

The transfer option seems to be a very expensive way of getting advice on your standard UCAS application...
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending