The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know where I can find the highlight of the goals - I missed the game..
Original post by Isometrix
Job done. Now to win against Utd and Spurs :holmes:

You won't beat Manchester United. 2-1 to the Red Devils.
Amsterdam is a great city for a final, perfect for a monumental piss up afterwards. Benfica will be tough though.
Reply 1683
Original post by Eboracum
Congratulations. People should back Benitez. He's a great manager. He's a better manager than RDM who simply got lucky with two cups. Sad to see Chelsea fans chanting for Jose when RB is the manager. Spoilt brats.

You're chatting nonsense.
I rate benitez for what he has done but what you're chatting is bull****. I'm guessing heynckes got lucky with the CL in 1998 too and isn't a good manager. RDM did a great job, was expected to perform with a transition team with a totally new style of play. It was not going to happen. Same way we were never going to win the league.
You guys need to lay off Rafa. He's underrated, if he leads you to the Europa League and Top 4 that's a decent season. Handled the situation with real dignity. Think the Mourinho chants tonight showed a real lack of respect.
Original post by Musester
Go away you moron.

Tbh everybody but Chelsea fans judge RDM as a very average and fortunate manager. How many job offers has he got since he left?

Original post by jam277
You're chatting nonsense.
I rate benitez for what he has done but what you're chatting is bull****. I'm guessing heynckes got lucky with the CL in 1998 too and isn't a good manager. RDM did a great job, was expected to perform with a transition team with a totally new style of play. It was not going to happen. Same way we were never going to win the league.

Had this out a year ago when you lot were slaughtering me for saying RDM would be sacked before xmas. Judging every one of your CL matches last year, its hard to credit RDM for much. Your defense was excellent but Terry/Cole/Ivanovic were an excellent defensive unit years before he arrived. Drogba scoring from your only attack in the final is not exactly revolutionary either. Maybe you can credit him for recognising that he needed to let Terry/Lampard control things on the pitch rather than trying to interfere himself.

Obviously RDM is held in high esteem because of his history as a player but there's no point making him out to be a great manager when he was just in the right place at the right time, and of course very very lucky.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1686
I'm not too scared of united, don't think we'll lose. Think we'll get a draw considering the way united played vs arsenal I don't think they'll beat us. We rested quite a few key players too or gave them a little run out where they didn't exert themselves too much so we'll be at full strength and good form.

Reckon a 1-1 draw.
Reply 1687
Original post by Zürich
Tbh everybody but Chelsea fans judge RDM as a very average and fortunate manager. How many job offers has he got since he left?

What jobs are there for him to get? He's won the CL so is obviously too big for clubs like reading etc. Where would he seriously get a job? What club has sacked their manager this season that isn't a relegation team. Seriously man I know you might not rate him but at least look with some objectivity. There has been no jobs. At most the QPR job and then they were looking at redknapp for weeks anyway.

I could say that benitez is fortunate that he got a great valencia team and that he was fortunate the owners gave him loads of time at liverpool and he won **** all after his second season.

German clubs promote german managers. Maybe italy but no top club has lost their manager there bar roma. So where would the jobs be? If you could give me a serious place where he could have got a job then I'd believe what you're saying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I'm not too scared of united, don't think we'll lose. Think we'll get a draw considering the way united played vs arsenal I don't think they'll beat us. We rested quite a few key players too or gave them a little run out where they didn't exert themselves too much so we'll be at full strength and good form.

Reckon a 1-1 draw.

A lot of United fans have said they were playing in 2nd gear because: 1) they had no reason to win 2) they were still feeling the effects of the celebrations. Bit of an exaggeration but do you not think they'll perform better?

2-2 tbh.
Original post by jam277

Reckon a 1-1 draw.

Yh draw is a good shout but with the quality of your team no reason you can't go there and win. Hate the illusion that OT is some kind of fortress.
Reply 1690
Original post by Zürich

Show me where anybody said that. You're just another butthurt fan who's jealousy and disdain know's no bounds. Fricking sick of you.

Sorry if that's really harsh but I'm done reading your "opinions".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1691
Original post by TheInvincibles14
You guys need to lay off Rafa. He's underrated, if he leads you to the Europa League and Top 4 that's a decent season. Handled the situation with real dignity. Think the Mourinho chants tonight showed a real lack of respect.

Are we saying he's crap. No we're not. But someone just came here and slagged off RDM for no reason saying he got lucky with 2 cups. Despite thrashing tottenham and winning a cup final vs liverpool and beating barca and bayern while we're at it. Let's not add beating you guys and tottenham away(when both were in great form)
Original post by The Assassin
A lot of United fans have said they were playing in 2nd gear because: 1) they had no reason to win 2) they were still feeling the effects of the celebrations. Bit of an exaggeration but do you not think they'll perform better?

2-2 tbh.

United weren't even trying against Arsenal. Lets hope they don't switch on for us aswell. If United even tried a little bit, they would have over run Arsenal with ease (no disrespect to Arsenal)
Original post by jam277
What jobs are there for him to get? He's won the CL so is obviously too big for clubs like reading etc. Where would he seriously get a job? What club has sacked their manager this season that isn't a relegation team. Seriously man I know you might not rate him but at least look with some objectivity. There has been no jobs. At most the QPR job and then they were looking at redknapp for weeks anyway.

I could say that benitez is fortunate that he got a great valencia team and that he was fortunate the owners gave him loads of time at liverpool and he won **** all after his second season.

German clubs promote german managers. Maybe italy but no top club has lost their manager there bar roma. So where would the jobs be? If you could give me a serious place where he could have got a job then I'd believe what you're saying.

Southampton, QPR, Sunderland?

I would be absolutely amazed if any top 10 club, or even a Premiership club, hired him. He was a terrible manager for West Brom and winning the CL in the manner he did will not impress anyone really. Just before he got the CFC job Birmingham City rejected his CV ffs.

The defensiveness of Chelsea fans over RDM confuses me. Its not an attack on CFC to say your ex-manager was not responsible for your massive success last year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1694
Original post by Eboracum
Congratulations. People should back Benitez. He's a great manager. He's a better manager than RDM who simply got lucky with two cups. Sad to see Chelsea fans chanting for Jose when RB is the manager. Spoilt brats.
Bored of this BS to be honest, no one's saying RDM is the greatest manager in the world, and no one's saying we weren't fortunate, but I don't see how you can put winning the CL by beating Napoli 4-1 to overcome the 3-1 deficit and then going on to beat Benfica, Barcelona and Bayern purely down to luck. Not to mention he beat Spurs 5-1 in the FA cup semi final and Liverpool 2-1 in the final.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1695
Original post by Zürich

Had this out a year ago when you lot were slaughtering me for saying RDM would be sacked before xmas. Judging every one of your CL matches last year, its hard to credit RDM for much. Your defense was excellent but Terry/Cole/Ivanovic were an excellent defensive unit years before he arrived. Drogba scoring from your only attack in the final is not exactly revolutionary either. Maybe you can credit him for recognising that he needed to let Terry/Lampard control things on the pitch rather than trying to interfere himself.

Obviously RDM is held in high esteem because of his history as a player but there's no point making him out to be a great manager when he was just in the right place at the right time, and of course very very lucky.

Do you think RDM deserved a sacking? Considering that united failed to make it out of an easy group last year and lets not even talk about city...
How about the napoli match? The benfica first leg too. Obviously we had a huge slice of luck in the semis and the final but I can just as easily interpret that as taking our chances when under AVB we didn't(e.g. the 3-1 loss and 3-3 vs united)

His man management is part of management is it not? It's clearly a trait he was good at.
How do you all feel about facing Benfica?

A chance for Matic against his old club to show how good he has become too. I can't fault him this season. Benfica have had a cracking season with quite a few of their players looking superb. I would put him right at the top of that list as Benfica's player of the season. Going back 9 or so months you would never have found me saying a good word about him.
Reply 1697
Original post by Zürich

I would be absolutely amazed if any top 10 club, or even a Premiership club, hired him. He was a terrible manager for West Brom and winning the CL in the manner he did will not impress anyone really.

The defensiveness of Chelsea fans over RDM confuses me. Its not an attack on CFC to say your ex-manager was not responsible for your massive success last year.

He got west brom promoted.and had a very good start to the season How was he terrible? He got MK dons to the playoffs in his first season there, How was he terrible?

Please tell me how he was terrible for them? Well he won the trophy with defensive performances. How have united been playing in the CL since 08 when they face a stronger team? Heck they did the exact same thing to barca the year they won it in moscow.

QPR. They were already looking at redknapp.
Sunderland and southampton were possibly choices, maybe he thought he was too big for them or he didn't want to go into management atm. I'm not saying he is the best manager. Just that he should be given credit. Be his man management and letting the players do their thing or him winning trophies with our worst squad since ranieri's time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Musester
Show me where anybody said that. You're just another butthurt fan who's jealousy and disdain know's no bounds. Fricking sick of you.

Sorry if that's really harsh but I'm done reading your "opinions".

I am very jealous that CFC won the CL, every Arsenal fan is. what's that got to do with RDM being a **** manager? I'm just pointing out that he wasnt good enough to manager Chelsea and merely in the right place at the right time.

How the **** is that an attack on Chelsea?

Also the use of quotation marks on opinions is a hilariously ignorant use of the English language.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

I would be absolutely amazed if any top 10 club, or even a Premiership club, hired him. He was a terrible manager for West Brom and winning the CL in the manner he did will not impress anyone really. Just before he got the CFC job Birmingham City rejected his CV ffs.

Too bad he was one of the best managers we have had for many a years - tell me any manager in the world that can go into a dressing room that has had its world turned upside down then get them to win all of their games beating one of the best teams in the world. He may not have been tactically adept, but his presence in the dressing room was something no manager had and very few managers have. He wasn't a manager; he was a leader of men that got everyone together and brought a positive vibe to the club.
You could be the best tactical manager in the world BUT if you can't get your team to play for you then you're nothing.

Latest