The Student Room Group

100% Reward?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladymarshmallow
My essay was around the same length as yours (2700-2800), although I somehow only wrote 12 pages in the exam. I did mine on changing American attitudes towards immigrants during the 1920s, which was actually very interesting to research. Of course, my grade will depend on the marker, but my teacher claimed it could get a 28-29 with a fair marker. On the other hand, some markers can be notoriously strict.. :frown:
I got 99 in German, although there's obviously a huge element of luck involved. Personally, I feel that 95 in History is remarkable given the highly subjective nature of the subject. With languages, at this stage it's more about pure linguistic aptitude as opposed to literary analysis so it's less subjective. I got 86 in History, which I was pretty pleased with, and am feeling pretty confident about the exam. (It's the opposite for modern studies)
Am I being too presumptuous in asking this, but may I be allowed to read your extended essay (through PM/email)? I realise I sound so nosy, but I just find History so interesting. :colondollar:

I only got 76% in my French prelim. I find languages pretty difficult personally. Probably because i have not made the effort to learn the grammar in depth. My reading is pretty good but my listening is what fails me. Sometimes I will get 16 or 17 in a listening and at other times I get a poor 10 or even less. It just depends on what topic the paper is on for me.

You must be pretty sharp and talented to get 99% in German. It must be so easy for you then! I envy you. Swap brains with me for my french exam please. One less exam to stress about right? :smile:

Wow, 28-29 is almost full marks so I wouldn't worry if I were you. You may even get a higher mark! And about my EE- I don't want to take the risk that it may leak on to other places and therefore ruin my chances of getting an A in history. I would love to show it to you but SQA restrictions say no sorry!
Original post by TheFOMaster
That really wasn't fair if you were marked harshly, but look on the bright side! You were too good for them :wink: You have a really strong chance of getting 100% in the final, which considering its an essay subject, is even more impressive!

I'm still considering History as my third subject at uni :tongue: you don't need any background and I loved SG, just never got the chance to take it on to Higher :smile: I have no idea where Biology went wrong... In Higher I was always pulling up 80+%, but now the only reason I can get a B is because my multiple choice is ok (I got the top multiple choice mark in the prelim, but the worst extended response :tongue:)

Be confident. You'll do better if you don't worry :smile:

I would love to study History at uni but I wouldn't know what to do afterwards and I am set on reading law :biggrin:. If you want to do history then I suggest you go for it, it is an amazing discipline. There is so much to learn and it is very interesting.

Ugh I hate the multiple choice part of biology. I always doubt myself when I see to many ticks in one row. I am like: "the next five answers cannot all be a C...might just change one to an A" XD.

And for extended responses, just memorize the SQA marking scheme for them. Works for me because they are very picky about which pieces of info you put into your essay.

I am trying not to worry. I am trying to adopt the "growth mindset" after being given a pep talk today at school.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
I'll be going for the 100% in Maths - dropped 2 marks in the prelim through stupid things (I just wrote something down wrong for one of them, i r jeneeus) but I can't even imagine what it would take to get 100% in one of the more subjective subjects.
Original post by Bubblyminty
I would love to study History at uni but I wouldn't know what to do afterwards and I am set on reading law :biggrin:. If you want to do history then I suggest you go for it, it is an amazing discipline. There is so much to learn and it is very interesting.

Ugh I hate the multiple choice part of biology. I always doubt myself when I see to many ticks in one row. I am like: "the next five answers cannot all be a C...might just change one to an A" XD.

And for extended responses, just memorize the SQA marking scheme for them. Works for me because they are very picky about which pieces of info you put into your essay.

I am trying not to worry. I am trying to adopt the "growth mindset" after being given a pep talk today at school.

I don't know, its a toss up between Chemistry, Physics and History as my third subject... And I suck at essays :tongue:

I don't like memorising marking schemes, although I will probably do it for Biology this year. Theres just soo much to learn..

Never change your answer because of the number of other answers that are the same letter! Elementary mistake! Trust your gut :smile:

Original post by Simarilli
I'll be going for the 100% in Maths - dropped 2 marks in the prelim through stupid things (I just wrote something down wrong for one of them, i r jeneeus) but I can't even imagine what it would take to get 100% in one of the more subjective subjects.

I'm going for 100% in Maths now too. I really doubt I'm gonna get it since I'm not amazeballs like you guys but, I'm gonna try! I should have only lost 2 marks in my second prelim (one for not multiplying out a bracket fully - derp - and one for not reading the question - derpsquared) but I lost every mark in the last question - even though I got the right answer - just because my line on a fraction extended slightly over the x. :mad:

If someone can get 100% in English they deserve so much more than £100.
I only got 76% in my French prelim. I find languages pretty difficult personally. Probably because i have not made the effort to learn the grammar in depth. My reading is pretty good but my listening is what fails me. Sometimes I will get 16 or 17 in a listening and at other times I get a poor 10 or even less. It just depends on what topic the paper is on for me.

You must be pretty sharp and talented to get 99% in German. It must be so easy for you then! I envy you. Swap brains with me for my french exam please. One less exam to stress about right? :smile:

Wow, 28-29 is almost full marks so I wouldn't worry if I were you. You may even get a higher mark! And about my EE- I don't want to take the risk that it may leak on to other places and therefore ruin my chances of getting an A in history. I would love to show it to you but SQA restrictions say no sorry!

That's alright! :colondollar: I wouldn't feel comfortable at all knowing that I could potentially jeopardise your chances of an A. I apologise for my thoughtlessness. 76% in French is still a very solid, very good mark. If only I had got that in English...alas. :wink:
Don't worry about French - the DR is usually fairly predictable, so just make sure you're very comfortable with that. As for the discursive, it is less so but we can probably write off last year's topic. I think it's pretty normal to find listening the hardest part of the course, to be fair. I think it's because you have to be in the right mindset for it, and feeling sharp. Believe me, there are times when the words just seem to go in one ear and out the other because I'm too tired to concentrate. In the run up to the exam, as well as of course going over grammatical points and the like, I would recommend just immersing yourself in French by watching films, listening to music. Anything, really, which will get you tuned in and then you'll totally boss the exam. :wink:
Original post by TheFOMaster
I don't know, its a toss up between Chemistry, Physics and History as my third subject... And I suck at essays :tongue:

I don't like memorising marking schemes, although I will probably do it for Biology this year. Theres just soo much to learn..

Never change your answer because of the number of other answers that are the same letter! Elementary mistake! Trust your gut :smile:

I'm going for 100% in Maths now too. I really doubt I'm gonna get it since I'm not amazeballs like you guys but, I'm gonna try! I should have only lost 2 marks in my second prelim (one for not multiplying out a bracket fully - derp - and one for not reading the question - derpsquared) but I lost every mark in the last question - even though I got the right answer - just because my line on a fraction extended slightly over the x. :mad:

If someone can get 100% in English they deserve so much more than £100.

Anyone who gets 100% in Higher English deserves a pat on the back... :P
On a serious note, such a score in English is bloody insane and anyone, IMO, who gets over 90% is to be commended.
Anyone who gets 100% in Higher English deserves a pat on the back... :P
On a serious note, such a score in English is bloody insane and anyone, IMO, who gets over 90% is to be commended.

This girl in the year above me claimed to have achieved 92% in her Higher English exam last year. I think she must have meant 82% because she is not the brightest spark to be honest...

I would be screaming with joy if I got 82% in Higher English.
That's alright! :colondollar: I wouldn't feel comfortable at all knowing that I could potentially jeopardise your chances of an A. I apologise for my thoughtlessness. 76% in French is still a very solid, very good mark. If only I had got that in English...alas. :wink:
Don't worry about French - the DR is usually fairly predictable, so just make sure you're very comfortable with that. As for the discursive, it is less so but we can probably write off last year's topic. I think it's pretty normal to find listening the hardest part of the course, to be fair. I think it's because you have to be in the right mindset for it, and feeling sharp. Believe me, there are times when the words just seem to go in one ear and out the other because I'm too tired to concentrate. In the run up to the exam, as well as of course going over grammatical points and the like, I would recommend just immersing yourself in French by watching films, listening to music. Anything, really, which will get you tuned in and then you'll totally boss the exam. :wink:

The French exam is not until the 29th so we have plenty of time, I doubt that you will need it for the languages because you naturally excel at them! The writing for french is a memory game for me. I think that is the wrong approach since I have about 20 mini essays to remember. I should start getting to grips with my material. I would love to watch films etc but I have planned 7 hours of studying for myself on exam leave so there is no time for that!

I take it that you will be studying something related to this at uni right?
Original post by GreigM
Is it true that If you get 100% in an exam then you get an extra reward from the SQA as well as an A? Some of my friends are saying the £50 gets rewarded to every candidate that scores 100%.

Can someone tell me if this is true of false please?

The answer is b) False.
Original post by mysqa
The answer is b) False.

So how much do they get? XD
The French exam is not until the 29th so we have plenty of time, I doubt that you will need it for the languages because you naturally excel at them! The writing for french is a memory game for me. I think that is the wrong approach since I have about 20 mini essays to remember. I should start getting to grips with my material. I would love to watch films etc but I have planned 7 hours of studying for myself on exam leave so there is no time for that!

I take it that you will be studying something related to this at uni right?

I'm feeling quite laid back about French at the moment since it's so late in the exam season. Ideally, I would like to study either languages (German and Russian in particular) at uni, although I am still vaguely considering History. :biggrin:
And you?
I'm feeling quite laid back about French at the moment since it's so late in the exam season. Ideally, I would like to study either languages (German and Russian in particular) at uni, although I am still vaguely considering History. :biggrin:
And you?

Wow that sounds pretty interesting- especially the Russian. Can you speak any of that language or is it just something new you want to venture in?

I am definitely doing law...if I get my 5 A's this year of course :P.
Wow that sounds pretty interesting- especially the Russian. Can you speak any of that language or is it just something new you want to venture in?

I am definitely doing law...if I get my 5 A's this year of course :P.

Well, my knowledge is fairly rudimentary. I am familiar with the alphabet, can read it (although not understand), and know about the grammar (six cases, verbal aspect, etc). Seeing as I actually spent 5 years of my live in an ex-Soviet country, Azerbaijan, between the ages of 8 and 13 I suppose that really sparked my interest in it. :biggrin:
I do hope you get your 5 As this year, you deserve it so much. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest