The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Feefifofum
I feel like I don't really know Clara's character yet. She's been in 5 episodes (as the most recent incarnation) and I feel like she's still a little out of reach, not quite a fully drawn character, though I can't quite put my finger on why...

It wouldn't surprise me if this is intentional. The doctor doesn't quite know who she is, so we don't quite know who she is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=jf75nmKeiB0 <- Interesting stuff in there from about 6.45ish onwards about the Doctor's name (no spoilers - it's from DW Confidential about the Library episodes where River Song first appears). Really interesting when RTD and SM both talk about the enigma of the name - RTD likes the fact that it's an enigma and thinks it has to stay a mystery for the sake of the show, while SM thinks it's fun to suggest that there's a dangerous secret that the name is hiding.

Original post by Aula
It wouldn't surprise me if this is intentional. The doctor doesn't quite know who she is, so we don't quite know who she is.

You might be right, but it still sits a little oddly to have a character that's been on screen for so long that can't be second-guessed. I know we aren't supposed to know who Clara is yet but it would help if her character was consistent enough that we could start to predict her reactions to things. She feels a little bland so far, like she *could* be exciting, but she's still a bit generically quirky...
Original post by Yoghurt
Ok, so there is a fairly major potential spoiler/rumour about the 50th anniversary that has come about from a 'reliable' source on GallifreyBase. I've put a link in the spoiler. If true, it could be a pretty major plot point.. Having said that, I don't think it's true, but if done right would be pretty damn cool.

Spoiler

Although I can already think of several plot holes that would make it near impossible to pull off.

Spoiler

So says the person who was doing exactly the same thing 2 episodes ago. Very childish to go round negging everyone who posted Rose hints when you did exactly the same yourself.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2304512&page=23&p=42215021#post42215021

Well in my defence, that was quite an obvious one, and people agreed with me. And I haven't negged anyone for posting Rose hints.
I feel like I don't really know Clara's character yet. She's been in 5 episodes (as the most recent incarnation) and I feel like she's still a little out of reach, not quite a fully drawn character, though I can't quite put my finger on why...

I agree to an extent and I think it's because she's not very well written all the time.

It's all one line 'banter' with the Doctor, which doesn't add anything to her character at all. Some of the time, when they are one-lining back at each other, I think he's talking to Amy. She's really not distinguished herself from Amy yet in my head - she's 'quirky' too.

Whereas the strength of the Tennant companions is Rose, Martha (when they decided to write her a little differently) and Donna were all quite different.

Clara is just a rehash of the same thing at the moment.
Reply 765
Speculation relating to someone confirmed to be in the 50th anniversary special:
(I don't think this has been pointed out before...)

In the prequel to the bells of st john you see

stating what is seen

So it's seems as though it's at least being made to look like:

now comes the speculation

Original post by Aula
Speculation relating to someone confirmed to be in the 50th anniversary special:
(I don't think this has been pointed out before...)

In the prequel to the bells of st john you see

stating what is seen

So it's seems as though it's at least being made to look like:

now comes the speculation

(edited 10 years ago)
That episode was dreadful.

Well the whole series has been poor (as usual since Moffat took over), but that episode in particular was extremely poor. I hate the Doctor's "alien friends", the "humour" was non existent, the plot was poor and Victorian england is just extremely overused and boring.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
That episode was dreadful.

Well the whole series has been poor (as usual since Moffat took over), but that episode in particular was extremely poor. I hate the Doctor's "alien friends", the "humour" was non existent, the plot was poor and Victorian england is just extremely overused and boring.

I liked it... Strax always makes me chuckle

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread doesn't get nearly as many posts as it used to!

Anyway, I love Strax, I want him as my best friend!
Reply 770
that was....awful.
Original post by Miracle Day
This thread doesn't get nearly as many posts as it used to!

Anyway, I love Strax, I want him as my best friend!

Strax is funny :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, Thomas Thomas is "TomTom" apparently.. :facepalm:
Reply 773
I didnt think that the episode was that bad. I actually liked it :L
The episode wasn't that great. However, if I'm comparing them to Tennant's era, noone could ever come close as i actually love him.
I'm going to start by listing first the things that I liked about that episode, so I don't end up having a mental breakdown before I can actually post this. Strax is funny. That guy who kept fainting was kinda funny I guess. I liked the end when Clara is back home.

Now, everything that was wrong with it *deep breath* : It seemed really repetitive, and the plot was just awful. I couldn't connect with the blind girl or feel any sympathy for her for some reason. He's relying on other people to save him way too much recently. It was resolved really badly I actually felt bored while she was shooting at them. The dialogue seemed really childish and repetitive "You're being really evil and I'm going to stop you!" kind of thing. This is quite possibly on a par with Rings of Akhaten for worst episodes of this series.

I'm really quite disappointed because the last episode was actually quite good, and now we've reverted back to stupid plot and annoying dialogue. The 50th anniversary episode had better be 1000 times better than this series, or I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
Hated it.

It was like two episodes jammed into one. Either that or i'm more tired then I think I am!

Didn't like that the explination for how they got there shown in a super quick montage; I felt it seriously set the whole pacing of the episode in a really horrible way.

The ending was super cheesy. I like the idea of the kids going on an adventure with the Doctor and Clara but oh my... the photo "from school". (cry) Really stuck on at the end, really out of place kinda thing in the typical Moffat style.

I also think that "sweetville" could have been set up as a concept far better then it did. Building the idea that people go in but don't come out a lot more, creating more mystery around it rather than diving straight into unpicking it. It's sort of why I feel that it was like two episodes jammed into one - it all just went so quickly!

Very dissapointed, particularly after last weeks which was a good un!
I really loved this episode, I honestly don't know why everyone is hating on Moffat, I think these story lines are good, it's a kids show and it has emotion and drama and morals and fun. What more are you guys expecting. This series hasn't been as good as 5 or 6 but it certainly isn't bad, I'm not bored by it at all, I like rings of aktar the only one I wasn't overly keen on was the Russian submarine thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a decent episode. Picked itself up after the Doctor lost his crimson make up.

As to next weeks episode, I already have a prediction:

Spoiler

Reply 779
Pretty good episode i thought although some of the acting was a little flat and the Clara thing should have had more focus.

It may not match the Tennant era but i'd say this series has beaten the last.

Quick Reply

Latest