The Student Room Group

"Music in the past was sooo much better than it is now"

Scroll to see replies

I'm generally open minded and all but i have to side with the view that music is in a bit of a rut at the moment.

The whole digital revolution has meant that typical 'album' artists have lost huge numbers of sales to torrents.
Record companies rather than funding a risky album venture are inclined to promote pop singles. They get a good run on radio 1 and sell enough on itunes to turn a profit. Cycle continues.

Why thats bad? Because albums are just better. They give a broader view of an artist and allow you to understand what their music is about. Instead the industry now insists songs should be less than 4 minutes and need to be catchy enough so that people listening on the radio will get out of the car after work and go buy it on itunes. And it's as if a formula exists to achieve that. I can't be the only one who thinks pop music has sounded almost identical for the past 4-5 years.

Original post by Gary Barlow
I'm generally open minded and all but i have to side with the view that music is in a bit of a rut at the moment.

The whole digital revolution has meant that typical 'album' artists have lost huge numbers of sales to torrents.
Record companies rather than funding a risky album venture are inclined to promote pop singles. They get a good run on radio 1 and sell enough on itunes to turn a profit. Cycle continues.

Why thats bad? Because albums are just better. They give a broader view of an artist and allow you to understand what their music is about. Instead the industry now insists songs should be less than 4 minutes and need to be catchy enough so that people listening on the radio will get out of the car after work and go buy it on itunes. And it's as if a formula exists to achieve that. I can't be the only one who thinks pop music has sounded almost identical for the past 4-5 years.

I agree. You and I are a dying breed of young admirers of studio albums. Personally I enjoy collecting albums by artists I like, and listening to them late at night in the dark. Listening to a good album is just as satisfying as reading a good book or watching a good film. It's a forgotten pleasure.

For me music has kinda sucked since 2000, because albums have generally sucked since then. The millennium bug arguably lies in the music scene. We've had the odd decent band producing catchy singles (e.g. Coldplay), but compared to the best of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, the 00s never had any truly amazing albums that I can think of at the top of my head.

The 2000s wasn't a great or even intersting decade for music in my opinion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by JamesTheCool
I agree. You and I are a dying breed of young admirers of studio albums. Personally I enjoy collecting albums by artists I like, and listening to them late at night in the dark. Listening to a good album is just as satisfying as reading a good book or watching a good film. It's a forgotten pleasure.

For me music has kinda sucked since 2000, because albums have generally sucked since then. The millennium bug arguably lies in the music scene. We've had the odd decent band producing catchy singles (e.g. Coldplay), but compared to the best of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, the 00s never had any truly amazing albums that I can think of at the top of my head.

The 2000s wasn't a great or even intersting decade for music in my opinion.

Unbelievable!

I think you might be looking in the wrong place for music if you can't find a good LP post 2000, as there have definitely been plenty. Pointing out Coldplay as having the odd interesting single makes me want to stand strong by my point on this one. Look deeper!
Original post by Rezzo
Unbelievable!

I think you might be looking in the wrong place for music if you can't find a good LP post 2000, as there have definitely been plenty. Pointing out Coldplay as having the odd interesting single makes me want to stand strong by my point on this one. Look deeper!

I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but I can't think of that many truely great ones. If you disagree then please, name some for me! (except for Radiohead ones, and I don't think Coldplay's albums are honestly that good. Fine songs, but albums? Nah. Too derivative of The Bends and OK Computer.)

Please give me a list, because I probably am looking in the wrong place!

EDIT: I'm not a fan of metal or rap.
(edited 10 years ago)
People have been making music for thousands of years. They didn't suddenly lose that ability in the last couple of decades and to suggest as such is just ridiculous.

There is plenty of good music around today and if you haven't heard it then you haven't actually looked.
I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but I can't think of that many truely great ones. If you disagree then please, name some for me! (except for Radiohead ones, and I don't think Coldplay's albums are honestly that good. Fine songs, but albums? Nah. Too derivative of The Bends and OK Computer.)

Of the top of my head (and trying to avoid going into niche genres, where my real favorite albums are) I'd say the majority of the material Porcupine Tree, the Mars Volta and Diablo Swing Orchestra have put out in the last ten years is spectacular. All very much album-orientated bands.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by KaileghDragon
Of the top of my head (and trying to avoid going into niche genres, where my real favorite albums are) I'd say the majority of the material Porcupine Tree, the Mars Volta and Diablo Swing Orchestra have put out in the last ten years is spectacular. All very much album-orientated bands.

Seconding Porcupine Tree, consistently excellent albums time after time. Good example.
Original post by Rezzo
Unbelievable!

Yeah this. There have been several this year alone.

p.s. Nice avatar, Captain Beefheart is :cool:
Reply 68

The Mars Volta (as has already been said), Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and The Flaming Lips are worth checking out, and even "poppier" groups like Arcade Fire and the Black Keys release quite consistent albums.

Original post by Wilfred Little
Yeah this. There have been several this year alone.

p.s. Nice avatar, Captain Beefheart is :cool:

Don't get me started!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest