The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryMWilliams
An A would be great, although I will accept a high B.

Good stuff, I'm already on a high B, but I need an A for uni, haha.
Original post by James A
Good stuff, I'm already on a high B, but I need an A for uni, haha.

Something pharmaceutical related, right?
Something pharmaceutical related, right?

Pharmacy :smile:

Yourself?
Original post by James A
Pharmacy :smile:

Yourself?

Biomed myself. :smile:
Biomed myself. :smile:

This is out of topic, but what does a biomed do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Relaxedexams
This is out of topic, but what does a biomed do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not interested in becomming an NHS Biomedical Scientist (who screen for diseases etc. - http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/healthcare-science/careers-in-healthcare-science/careers-in-life-sciences/biomedical-science/), I'm more interested in post-graduate research and the biomedical degree sets me up perfectly for that with it's combination of biochemistry and human biology.
Reply 126
Original post by geor
Yeah I might do that - it's not really the knowledge though it's the questions? I never really get what they are asking for? :confused:

This is me all over, I know the ins and outs of the syllabus but when it comes to the questions, my mind goes blank cos I never know what they're looking for yet I look at the mark scheme and I knew I could have answered that it's so frustrating! :mad:
Reply 127
guys, I was doing the cgp revision guide and theres this question I came across
What type of substance is formed when a hydrogen halide is passed through water?

I know the answer to this might be pretty simple but I don't know maybe its just all the staying up and stressing out cause of the exams thats messing with my head :P
Original post by Zoeyyy
What type of substance is formed when a hydrogen halide is passed through water?

I know the answer to this might be pretty simple but I don't know maybe its just all the staying up and stressing out cause of the exams thats messing with my head :P

What do you think the answer is..?
Reply 129
What do you think the answer is..?

Acidic solution?
I just get confused about weird stuff at weird times excuse me for that Lol
Original post by Zoeyyy
Acidic solution?

It is a strange question, nothing like that has ever come up in my Unit 2 adventures I dont think, anywhoo the reaction goes:
H2O + HBr ---> H3O+ + Br2.
It is a strange question, nothing like that has ever come up in my Unit 2 adventures I dont think, anywhoo the reaction goes:

Shouldn't Br- be present instead of Br2 as a product??

But yeah,

Original post by Zoeyyy
Acidic solution?

You do get an acidic solution. The hydronium ion makes it acidic.
Original post by Zoeyyy

H3O+

Posted from TSR Mobile

Balance it. H2O + HBr -> H3O+ + Br-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
thanks guys :biggrin:
also, what would you observe when bromine water is mixed with potassium chloride solution?

Yeah 'cause its not an exam style question, just a practice question. And I wanted to make sure I dont have any doubts so Im on the safe side :biggrin:
Original post by Zoeyyy
thanks guys :biggrin:
also, what would you observe when bromine water is mixed with potassium chloride solution?

No reaction. No change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
No reaction. No change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And why is that?
Original post by Zoeyyy
And why is that?

Chlorine is more reactive than bromine therefore bromine cannot displace it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorine is more reactive than bromine therefore bromine cannot displace it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.
I do AQA but them topics are basically what I do:P I hate group 7 and redox! Ughhhh there is SOOO MUCH TO REMEMBER! Like I hate how you have to remember the observations for each halide, so annoying :/ And redox, well need I say anything about that? Half equations will be the cause of my death

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending