The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Giant
Hello everyone, I thought I may as well post since I've been lurking around this and the 2013 entry thread for quite sometime now.

Studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and French (and Critical Thinking) now and predicted all As at AS.

I will most likely apply for straight Economics at the top unis but considering Economics and French at universities such as Nottingham. I know LSE and Camb have really good language centres and Warwick do ERASMUS so it's not a massive deal anyway.

:smile:

Same subjects as me :five: :awesome:
Reply 101
Original post by tooambitious
Same subjects as me :five: :awesome:

Awesome! I'm finding the French oral pretty annoying at the moment.

I swear I can do maths past papers until the cows come home, but the second I sit down to work on my oral I'm like :argh:

Well done on getting into Oxford by the way!
Original post by Giant
Awesome! I'm finding the French oral pretty annoying at the moment.

I swear I can do maths past papers until the cows come home, but the second I sit down to work on my oral I'm like :argh:

Well done on getting into Oxford by the way!

Saaaame! I haven't done anything yer
Considering you have such good taste in subjects, I'd be happy to help if you need it :biggrin:

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 103
Is anyone thinking of applying to Newcastle, Sheffield or Liverpool. If you are post your predicted grades
Bobthebuilder:
For some reason i cant quote. "/
Anyways for econ 1, i taught myself the entire content since my teachets are pretty bad. I bought a revision guide, used my school textbook and online websites such as economics online and tutor2u to make my notes, with extra emphasis on evaluation points. I then revised them and just did past papers. Im doing the same for econ2 but this unit will be more difficult. What exam board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiirankapoor
Bobthebuilder:
For some reason i cant quote. "/
Anyways for econ 1, i taught myself the entire content since my teachets are pretty bad. I bought a revision guide, used my school textbook and online websites such as economics online and tutor2u to make my notes, with extra emphasis on evaluation points. I then revised them and just did past papers. Im doing the same for econ2 but this unit will be more difficult. What exam board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What board you with for Econ?

Edexcel, what's wrong with them?
I just prefer ocr, contents pretty much the same though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just prefer ocr, contents pretty much the same though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you don't get the luxury of multiple choice on OCR :tongue:
Reply 110
My predicted as levels are maths-A, Further maths- A, Economics and Business - A, Geography - A, EPQ - A.
Next year I will only do maths, further maths and geography for which i expect A*AA, and I will probably apply to UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Surrey and Southampton
Truee the multiple choice section is a luxury :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alex are you applying for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Alex are you applying for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah or economics and finance
What unis are you considering,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
How are everyone's exams going
Reply 116
Original post by keith111
How are everyone's exams going

Pretty well I'd say, C1 and M1 went really well (75 and 74). I messed up ECON1 a bit, but ECON2 went like a dream. My French oral was a bit annoying because I was really nervous at the start and sounded really crap :/

And yourself?
Hello everyone! Any international applicants? :smile:
Anyone knows how applying to:
Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
works when you are doing A Levels but don't have GCSE/IGCSE? :smile:
Reply 119
Original post by purplemind
Anyone knows how applying to:
Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
works when you are doing A Levels but don't have GCSE/IGCSE? :smile:

I would assume they would look at whatever tests/qualifications you did at 16 instead. They would also probably place more importance on things like the interview (for Cambridge), personal statement, predicted grades and UMS scores (Cambridge and LSE depending on the course). So I wouldn't worry too much, GCSEs are that important in the grand scheme of things even if you do have them.

I'm planning on applying to those three Universities as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending