The Student Room Group

Nottingham Uni Nursing 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by LindseyH30
Yeah I think all nurses are in either St. Peter's court or rayliegh park because its self catered and closest to the QMC and city centre :smile:. Is it Madison court and Sillitoe court at Rayleigh that all nurses go for? Not sure what court to pick?

I am in Madison court.
Reply 41
Original post by Lukestar
Oh that's interesting to hear , I've gone to St Peters court because of the en-suite there and I didn't see the point in catered meals when you miss them 99% of the time whilst undertaking a medical degree such as the fields of nursing. I'm going to be doing the BSc in adult nursing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I don't see the point in going on catered. Also I think because of the set term times for other courses it's the same for the catered accommodation, and because we'll be there for longer than the standard uni terms they said that if you're in catered doing nursing you have to move in the summer when we'll still be there, whereas the uncatered you can stay there. I really wanted an en-suit as well :frown:, but I guess I'll have to suck it up and get over it ha!
Hi everyone,

Sorry to jump in here, but I have an interview on the 7th May and was wondering if any of you successful candidates had any advice? I'm feeling a little light on the caring experience and wondering how to put 'nursing theory' into my presentation. :s-smilie:

Anything anyone can offer in the way of guidance would be very much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by onetwotwelve
Hi everyone,

Sorry to jump in here, but I have an interview on the 7th May and was wondering if any of you successful candidates had any advice? I'm feeling a little light on the caring experience and wondering how to put 'nursing theory' into my presentation. :s-smilie:

Anything anyone can offer in the way of guidance would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Hiya

I had my interview 19th April for the GEN (which I assume you mean :smile:) and was offered a place (though have now switched to the BSc).

I had very little caring experience, only volunteering as a first aider with St John Ambulance but I emphasized this as much as I could and applied it to nursing. In relation to the presentation, the description is a bit ambiguous. They don't want nursing theory, they want you to apply theory and knowledge from your previous degree/studies to nursing. So for example from my psychology degree I brought in individual differences, personality theories etc.

My presentation went like this:

Introduction > previous degree > theories and their application to nursing > research > work experience > personal qualities/traits etc > end > references

Don't worry about it too much though, it's very informal. Just make sure you've covered all of the criteria and have relevant stuff in your presentation. Nottingham uni are very interested in transferable skills so just use anything from your previous study/experience and apply it to nursing.

Hope that helps :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Hiya

I had my interview 19th April for the GEN (which I assume you mean :smile:) and was offered a place (though have now switched to the BSc).

I had very little caring experience, only volunteering as a first aider with St John Ambulance but I emphasized this as much as I could and applied it to nursing. In relation to the presentation, the description is a bit ambiguous. They don't want nursing theory, they want you to apply theory and knowledge from your previous degree/studies to nursing. So for example from my psychology degree I brought in individual differences, personality theories etc.

My presentation went like this:

Introduction > previous degree > theories and their application to nursing > research > work experience > personal qualities/traits etc > end > references

Don't worry about it too much though, it's very informal. Just make sure you've covered all of the criteria and have relevant stuff in your presentation. Nottingham uni are very interested in transferable skills so just use anything from your previous study/experience and apply it to nursing.

Hope that helps :smile:

Good luck!

Thanks SO much, that's exceptionally reassuring. Hopefully it's all acceptable and ready, just got to get to the flipping place now :s-smilie: Never negotiated Derby before, this should be interesting...
Original post by onetwotwelve
Thanks SO much, that's exceptionally reassuring. Hopefully it's all acceptable and ready, just got to get to the flipping place now :s-smilie: Never negotiated Derby before, this should be interesting...

No worries :smile:

Are you driving or using public transport? If you're driving I can't advise as I don't drive but the bus goes from the bus station called the The Mickleover and takes about 15 minutes.

Just make sure you go to the right hospital, don't go to the Royal Infirmary like I almost did :biggrin: Royal Derby Hospital you need.

Aaand when you get to the hospital you will probably arrive at the front. You kinda have to walk towards the central entrance to the hospital, then turn right, follow it round, turn left when you can, follow the path right past a&e where the ambulances are, then turn left up this slope, turn left and follow it round - then there are a few entrances to choose from.
These directions will make more sense when you're there but hope that helps. Lol.

Good luck for your interview! :smile:

edit: if you are driving then there's a car park quite near to the building, a bit further from where the ambulances are stationed
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
When applying for accommodation at Raleigh Park do you choose the undergraduate or medical student option? I was wondering if by medical they were including all medical related courses?
Reply 47
Original post by Lucy058
When applying for accommodation at Raleigh Park do you choose the undergraduate or medical student option? I was wondering if by medical they were including all medical related courses?

If I remember rightly you pick that one so then you have a choice between the standard bed and the three quarter bed :smile:. I chose that one and I'm doing adult nursing so yeah
Reply 48
Original post by LindseyH30
If I remember rightly you pick that one so then you have a choice between the standard bed and the three quarter bed :smile:. I chose that one and I'm doing adult nursing so yeah

Thank you! I'll do that now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Hi, I'm hopefully doing the Adult Masters with the BSc as my reserve. Has anyone applied for student finance as when I contacted them they said that Nottingham would get in contact with me, with 2 weeks of today?
Does anyone know how many weeks the adult nursing degree is per year? Can't seem to find it on the website!
Xx
Reply 51
Does anyone know how many weeks the adult nursing degree is per year? Can't seem to find it on the website!
Xx

Maybe around 44 but I may be wrong, ring the admissions department for nursing and they should be able to clarify :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by nicknames
Hi, I'm hopefully doing the Adult Masters with the BSc as my reserve. Has anyone applied for student finance as when I contacted them they said that Nottingham would get in contact with me, with 2 weeks of today?

Don't want to be rude but you need to do your student finance yourself ! ASAP! Otherwise issues can arise. Go onto google and search NHS BOSS application and that's your NHS bursary one and then google student finance England and create an account and apply for your student finance too! Sorry if this info is a little of but I'm not good at explaining sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Don't want to be rude but you need to do your student finance yourself ! ASAP! Otherwise issues can arise. Go onto google and search NHS BOSS application and that's your NHS bursary one and then google student finance England and create an account and apply for your student finance too! Sorry if this info is a little of but I'm not good at explaining sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kl, I've got to that :smile: . I was wondering if anyone has received any info on CRB etc. after their original letter as it said offers were conditional on it in the confirmation of place letter?
Reply 54
Can anyone tell me the benefits of the master of nursing science course over any other course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by laydeem1
Can anyone tell me the benefits of the master of nursing science course over any other course

Posted from TSR Mobile

With a masters it's a bonus on CV when applying to places you want to work, also to progress past a certain level in nursing, think to become a sister/charge nurse you need a masters. You can get masters after your BSc but do it now and then it's done. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last night I made the very difficult decision of choosing between Manchester and Nottingham and firmed Nottingham! :smile:
Anyone else going who already has a degree? (Notts campus)
Reply 57
Last night I made the very difficult decision of choosing between Manchester and Nottingham and firmed Nottingham! :smile:
Anyone else going who already has a degree? (Notts campus)

Good on you so long as your happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good on you so long as your happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I think so! Lol. Are you going to the Notts campus?
Reply 59
Hmm, I think so! Lol. Are you going to the Notts campus?

Yup you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending