The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bello08
For anybody stuck on Gold:

Look up the Arrhenius plot.

All you need is the data given, the reaction itself is irrelevant.

What is the value of "A" in the formula? :confused:
Original post by ChemistryQuiz
What is the value of "A" in the formula? :confused:

Got it!!! But Rg is baffling!!
Original post by BibbyDuck
Just finished, Rg was easier than I thought it would be, started looking at all sorts until I realised what to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some clue???
Original post by g.k.galloway
Who is the person in the background of silver? is it relevant?
I've figured out the general formula and have found some isomers but no right answer

It's Kekule. The C's in the middle of the structure don't overlap...So there is no C-C bond there..
Each time I key in an answer, all I get is:

You haven't quite fully combusted

For Silver, I've written it all out and tried every type of ether I can think of, but none of it seems to be right.
Is there any specific way it's meant to be written, or can anyone help at all?
Original post by EvilRaptorMudkip
For Silver, I've written it all out and tried every type of ether I can think of, but none of it seems to be right.
Is there any specific way it's meant to be written, or can anyone help at all?

It's not that difficult. Find the longest carbon chain. Find the carbon chain length on "the other side" of the oxygen. This gives you a name that will look like methoxyethane.
Original post by ChemistryQuiz
Each time I key in an answer, all I get is:

You haven't quite fully combusted

Then you're looking at the incomplete combustion of sulphur. Try for the complete combustion. I assume you know the pattern.
I haven't figured out the pattern for Rg yet. I can't see it. I don't know, guys.
Reply 1569
Can someone hint me what the pattern is for Rg
Reply 1570
Is it how much energy is produced per atom or something? :confused:
Original post by Scattereddreams
I haven't figured out the pattern for Rg yet. I can't see it. I don't know, guys.

Original post by Vinkal
Can someone hint me what the pattern is for Rg

Note that as you progress towards larger atoms further down the table, the percentages drop. What else do you know that follows a similar trend (although not necessarily decreasing..) as you go down elements.
Reply 1572
Original post by Oromis263
Note that as you progress towards larger atoms further down the table, the percentages drop. What else do you know that follows a similar trend (although not necessarily decreasing..) as you go down elements.

Thanks, Finally Completed it
In spite of breaking my head behind the Rg level question for a bit more than a day now, I still don't get it!!!!!! Can somebody please please please help me!!! :frown::frown::mad::unimpressed:
Reply 1574
Help on copper please?
Original post by gridda55
Help on copper please?

What do you think the picture in the background signifies? Try and understand that. Am sure you'll get it. Good luck!! :smile:
stumped on gold, simply dont know the equation :s-smilie:

EDIT found the equation but cant get it right, keep getting error on calc :confused:
help anyone please????? what T and k values should i be using???
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey everybody!!!

So, I heard about this challenge just a week ago (a friend told me) & so I thought I should give it a try. Well, the problem is that I 'somehow' managed to complete the first four levels (though am still wondering how :colondollar:) but yeah, I did it!! Now Rg is something I don't understand. It is too... complicated (and confusing) :s-smilie: Guys, could please just give me the answer cause I want to know about this!!!! I know, I won't make to the Honours Board cause this is the first month am trying and stuff & am okay with that. But I just want the answer!! Can I expect someone to give me the answer? :colondollar: And congratulations to everyone who completed the Rg :congrats:

Uh-Oh! Best of luck for the exams!!
(edited 10 years ago)
The Rg level answer???? Pleeeeeaaaassssseeee.......... :frown:
Reply 1579
Original post by MistyDream
The Rg level answer???? Pleeeeeaaaassssseeee.......... :frown:

I can't remember the answer , but think about the combustion of those elements.....that should help....

Quick Reply

Latest