The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6CH07/01- May 8th 2013 - AS Chemistry Unit 3B

Scroll to see replies

On any of the unit 3 chem past papers, were there any questions or parts related to theory? If there were can someone please post the topics? I was doing the jan 2011 paper and there was a question on kinetics collision theory.

I thought this ppr only tested practical knowledge...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Relaxedexams
On any of the unit 3 chem past papers, were there any questions or parts related to theory? If there were can someone please post the topics? I was doing the jan 2011 paper and there was a question on kinetics collision theory.

I thought this ppr only tested practical knowledge...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no need to worry. Actually in that question the answer was obvious. More area mean more rate of reaction.

But yeah you are right. They might put in a question from theory. Nothing to do but at least attempt it
Original post by NilFBosh
There is no need to worry. Actually in that question the answer was obvious. More area mean more rate of reaction.

But yeah you are right. They might put in a question from theory. Nothing to do but at least attempt it

Yea, I'm hoping that the paper has a lot of calculations :biggrin: and a titration question. Hopefully, nothing from IR spectra :smile:
Reply 23
Yea, I'm hoping that the paper has a lot of calculations :biggrin: and a titration question. Hopefully, nothing from IR spectra :smile:

IR spectra is easy. A range of peaks like for alcohol and aldehydes will be given. The question might be show that the compound is an alcohol. So in the graph search for the peaks and cross check with the range given for alcohol. Other follow up questions are on organic :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
IR spectra is easy. A range of peaks like for alcohol and aldehydes will be given. The question might be show that the compound is an alcohol. So in the graph search for the peaks and cross check with the range given for alcohol. Other follow up questions are on organic :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot man. That sounds ok :-D
I was expecting drawing the graph and stuff ( don't even know if that is in the spec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Thanks a lot man. That sounds ok :-D
I was expecting drawing the graph and stuff ( don't even know if that is in the spec)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No drawing graphs in IR.
In a seperating funnel where will d more dense solution be and why.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Anujan Murugesu
In a seperating funnel where will d more dense solution be and why.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't see any question abt separating funnels in any pastpaper.

But to answer ur question more dense solution will be on top of the less dense solution (no pun intended)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't see any question abt separating funnels in any pastpaper.

But to answer ur question more dense solution will be on top of the less dense solution (no pun intended)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check the jan 2010 ppr.

More dense at the top? :confused:
I put more dense at bottom which is logical but the mk schme says more dense is at the top...how is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Check the jan 2010 ppr.

More dense at the top? :confused:
I put more dense at bottom which is logical but the mk schme says more dense is at the top...how is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check google. On Wikipedia, in the article abt separating funnel, there was a diagram of oil on top of water. Googled for the respective densities and saw that oil was more dense and made my conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check google. On Wikipedia, in the article abt separating funnel, there was a diagram of oil on top of water. Googled for the respective densities and saw that oil was more dense and made my conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your conclusion is right, what is the logic behind it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite sure...
Just remember more dense on top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your right. I did that question in class today and the only thing related to ir spectra was to copy an already given range :biggrin:

Hope we get something like that.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Which practicals do you guys expect. I think:-

-Test for ions
-Organic (Halogenoalkane reaction)
-Energetics
-Maybe kinetics and ir spectra (they only asked them once)
-Something new like mass spectral analysis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Which practicals do you guys expect. I think:-

-Test for ions
-Organic (Halogenoalkane reaction)
-Energetics
-Maybe kinetics and ir spectra (they only asked them once)
-Something new like mass spectral analysis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

obviously gas/ions tests as first questions and some questions on organics
Others not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

OIL is less dense than water so it floats.
HENCE the less dense substance is on top. and the more dense is below.
in simple words the lighter substance is on the top as the heavier substance sinks.
Original post by thextractor007
OIL is less dense than water so it floats.
HENCE the less dense substance is on top. and the more dense is below.
in simple words the lighter substance is on the top as the heavier substance sinks.

:colondollar: I forgot oil was less dense than water

But check Jan 2010 paper. In the separating funnel question, the more dense liquid is at the top. How is that? :confused:

Is it something to do with the funnel?
Reply 37
I hope kinetics is in this paper, a lot of calculations, and drawing a distillation or reflux apparatus, and graph plotting. Nothing on IR Mass spectra please!
Original post by kevsamuel
I hope kinetics is in this paper, a lot of calculations, and drawing a distillation or reflux apparatus, and graph plotting. Nothing on IR Mass spectra please!

We are on the same boat :biggrin:

One doubt:-

In the separating funnel, the more dense liquid is at the top. Why is that? What is the reasoning behind it? :confused:
:colondollar: I forgot oil was less dense than water

But check Jan 2010 paper. In the separating funnel question, the more dense liquid is at the top. How is that? :confused:

Is it something to do with the funnel?

i guess its because it says its" the aqueous layer" so maybe the alcohol was dissolved in the water- hence making the whole solution of the bottom layer denser

BY THE WAY I CHECKED GOOGLE OIL IS NOTTT MORE DENSE THAN WATER

Quick Reply