The Student Room Group

Words you overuse, mispronounce or say, when it's not actually a word

With such a diverse set of students comes a fantastic spread of variations in what you say, so post here any differences you've noticed with others. Is it just what people from your area say, or is it you?

For example, around here it's normal to say "like" alot and I would also add "sir" to alot of sentence endings.

Mispronounce? For example, I say apparently strangely because I pronounce "parent" not parrant.

Also recently I discovered that irregardless isn't a word, oh well.

Let's hear your worst and best.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I just joined the student room and do not know much about the site. Can you please help me out? thank you!!!
Reply 2
Original post by ElisabethBondzie
I just joined the student room and do not know much about the site. Can you please help me out? thank you!!!

This isn't the best place to reply asking for help but pm me if you need.

Onto the post
I overuse "like", not sure what i mispronounce but there is probably some words and i say "stupidest" a lot...
Agree with the "like" bit, I often put it at the end of sentences, as in "He's pretty funny like." Doesn't make sense at all.

A lot of times folk where I'm from drop the "ng" sound from the end of words to just "n" (ex. singin' runnin').

When I was a lot younger, being a wee nerd and wanting to sound all clever, I used to like to use words like "disconcert." But since I'd only heard it previously in a book, I would pronounce it like "dis concert." (Dis concert b pure mad m8).

And then, depending on whom you'd speak to, I pronounce words like scone and the letter "h" incorrectly (scohn and haitch) but that's probably just regional.

And not me in particular, but I'm always taking the piss out this Irish lad I work with, for the way he pronounces "th" (three as "tree," throw as "trow," etc.)
Original post by ElisabethBondzie

Don't worry - any of us will help out if you just want to send any of us a private message with anything you're having trouble with.

This is a "thread" where someone posts a question and everyone has a go at answering, this is the Chat section, so it's all a bit of banter.

For example, is there anything strange that you say alot or mispronounce?
I overuse words like "tbh" "tbf" "fair enoughs" and I don't think "enoughs" is a real word? I also say freaking a fair bit (As well as saying a fair bit, a fair bit) :biggrin:
Reply 6
I often (like many others) randomly drop 'right' in the middle of a conversation.

"So I was talking to this girl, right..."
Original post by Clementiney921
Agree with the "like" bit, I often put it at the end of sentences, as in "He's pretty funny like." Doesn't make sense at all.

A lot of times folk where I'm from drop the "ng" sound from the end of words to just "n" (ex. singin' runnin').

When I was a lot younger, being a wee nerd and wanting to sound all clever, I used to like to use words like "disconcert." But since I'd only heard it previously in a book, I would pronounce it like "dis concert." (Dis concert b pure mad m8).

And then, depending on whom you'd speak to, I pronounce words like scone and the letter "h" incorrectly (scohn and haitch) but that's probably just regional.

And not me in particular, but I'm always taking the piss out this Irish lad I work with, for the way he pronounces "th" (three as "tree," throw as "trow," etc.)

I can beat your nerd story :biggrin: when I was in p1 (that me being 6 years old) (also add that my dad was a nurse) I wanted to go home because I wasn't feeling well. I went up to my teacher and said I was feeling "nauseous" Winnnnn

The "th" for Irish is such a stereotype, which is why I hope we ditch it for ever "dirty tree and a turd" = horrible.

I say "haitch" not "aitch," but put a before it not an. So it's a historic event, not an historic event. This is incorrect
Original post by de_monies
I overuse words like "tbh" "tbf" "fair enoughs" and I don't think "enoughs" is a real word? I also say freaking a fair bit (As well as saying a fair bit, a fair bit) :biggrin:

Freaking as in an alternative to a similar sounding swear word?

That was freaking sore, for instance?
Reply 9

Haha, I do all those constantly. I also like to replace "fair enough" with "hairy muff" and other variations.
Original post by Guitarded
I often (like many others) randomly drop 'right' in the middle of a conversation.

"So I was talking to this girl, right..."

I have a habit of copying the accents and dialects of people I'm talking to...if anyone knows a Derry accent they'll know how bad that is!
My sister says 'worser' instead of worse alllllll the time :s-smilie:
Reply 12
I tend to answer questions a lot by saying 'awrite guvnah' So I've overused that phrase...

I always pronounce Avatar as ay-vuh-tah. And the dreaded waw-ah for water, which I try to avoid saying.

Hmm, I can't think of much else.
Reply 13

Same here! Also have a habit of adding 'mate' or 'man' to the end of a message depending on who I am talking to, people must get sick of me :colondollar:
Original post by That Bearded Man
Freaking as in an alternative to a similar sounding swear word?

That was freaking sore, for instance?

I guess, but I've never really ever sworn, apart from saying BS and **** (rhymes with sit, cos it's gonna get starred out)

Original post by Guitarded
Haha, I do all those constantly. I also like to replace "fair enough" with "hairy muff" and other variations.

Lool I don't do that. Some people I know say "fair play" a lot

Original post by FullStop2
Same here! Also have a habit of adding 'mate' or 'man' to the end of a message depending on who I am talking to, people must get sick of me :colondollar:

Lool I say "man" to certain people. Mate I never say though
Reply 15
I also can't pronounce Worcester, as in Worcester favour crisps :redface:
Hmmm... Can't think of any... Although mistakes I always make:

"*We* should have went..."
"By Purpose"
"On Accident"
Reply 17
I had a housemate who was literally angered by the way I say remember. I accidentally say renember instead. Not really a big deal, but it infuriated her. Then again, she always got annoyed and corrected our Southern pronounciation to Nortnern asses so...it was hard to live with her at times.

I used to know a guy who couldn't say dominos, but I can't remember (renember :tongue:) how he said it. I think it was donimos. He could say Dominic, I tested him once.
Reply 18
I think I say "Oh dear" a bit too much.
My friend came out with 'nextomorrow' the other day, meaning the day after tomorrow, completely unaware that it wasn't a word.

It's a good one though. Might adopt it myself xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest