The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I agree with the comments about Matt Smith not being able to 'do' the depth of emotion that David Tennant could. I'd sort of forgotten, until I started watching a few episodes, and realised quite how much of that has been lost. There's no real emotional impact now, just constant whimsy. There were always quirks and whimsy, but that was just one aspect of the Doctor, not his sole defining characteristic. I like Matt Smith, but I think we are ready for a new Doctor now, preferably someone with a bigger emotional range.

(And yes as others have said this does come down in part to the writers, but not entirely - there have been scenes with plenty of scope for raw emotion and Matt Smith just doesn't quite manage them in my opinion.)
Reply 801
Original post by Feefifofum
I agree with the comments about Matt Smith not being able to 'do' the depth of emotion that David Tennant could. I'd sort of forgotten, until I started watching a few episodes, and realised quite how much of that has been lost. There's no real emotional impact now, just constant whimsy. There were always quirks and whimsy, but that was just one aspect of the Doctor, not his sole defining characteristic. I like Matt Smith, but I think we are ready for a new Doctor now, preferably someone with a bigger emotional range.

(And yes as others have said this does come down in part to the writers, but not entirely - there have been scenes with plenty of scope for raw emotion and Matt Smith just doesn't quite manage them in my opinion.)

Anger is something he struggles with more than anything. The times he has been angry have been laughable whereas DT came across as very dangerous. He didn't just speak to the enemies he demanded their attention by charisma and power alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StephenNaulls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv3rDSvmumI

I'm guessing River Song will be back for 'The Doctor's Name' judging from the end of this. It's not a spoiler, it's just all of the River Song scenes in the correct order.

By the way, the RS scene from about 12:00 onwards with DT is why I loved him and the writing so much during his time as the Doctor. You genuinely believe he has seen a lifetime of suffering (Time War etc), whereas now I think that the deeper emotional side of the Doctor is pretty much gone.

Anyway, do you think that River Song will be involved in that episode. The last minute of that YouTube clip makes me think she will be!

Thanks for posting that video, River Song's storyline makes a bit more sense to me now, though some things happened in a different order to what I was expecting. Also I found a better quality version here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx5ef9_doctor-who-timeline-of-river-song_shortfilms#.UYYtI2t5mK0

Speculation about River:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StephenNaulls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv3rDSvmumI

I'm guessing River Song will be back for 'The Doctor's Name' judging from the end of this. It's not a spoiler, it's just all of the River Song scenes in the correct order.

By the way, the RS scene from about 12:00 onwards with DT is why I loved him and the writing so much during his time as the Doctor. You genuinely believe he has seen a lifetime of suffering (Time War etc), whereas now I think that the deeper emotional side of the Doctor is pretty much gone.

Anyway, do you think that River Song will be involved in that episode. The last minute of that YouTube clip makes me think she will be!

River Song

Spoiler

Reply 804
Original post by Mess.
Anger is something he struggles with more than anything. The times he has been angry have been laughable whereas DT came across as very dangerous. He didn't just speak to the enemies he demanded their attention by charisma and power alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's the way he was written, Tennant brought a lot of background by talking a lot in science terms and historical terms "but you were there at the fall of the arcadia" ect.. so when Tennant got angry you could believe that he wiped out the Dalek race as shown by his alter-verse copy.

Personally i hope the next Doctor will see the return of Tennant although the next writer is apparently the guy from being Human.
Reply 805

Spoiler

Original post by Rakas21
I think that's the way he was written, Tennant brought a lot of background by talking a lot in science terms and historical terms "but you were there at the fall of the arcadia" ect.. so when Tennant got angry you could believe that he wiped out the Dalek race as shown by his alter-verse copy.

Personally i hope the next Doctor will see the return of Tennant although the next writer is apparently the guy from being Human.

Toby Whithouse? I hope that's true because it'll definitely make for some interesting episodes! He's very good at balancing humour and drama.
Original post by Rakas21

Personally i hope the next Doctor will see the return of Tennant
although the next writer is apparently the guy from being Human.

So DT would be 10 and 12? How do you reckon that would be explained?

Some people really need to let DT go....
Reply 808
Original post by Emmie3303
Toby Whithouse? I hope that's true because it'll definitely make for some interesting episodes! He's very good at balancing humour and drama.

He did 'A Town Called Mercy' which i think was the western one.

Original post by SirMasterKey
So DT would be 10 and 12? How do you reckon that would be explained?

Some people really need to let DT go....

Simple enough, like the Doctor thought that his daughter could not regenerate it turns out that actually his alter-verse copy can but somehow stops or just have him take over as the alter-verse character going back to Rose every-now and then as the others went home from time to time.

Never!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Simple enough, like the Doctor thought that his daughter could not regenerate it turns out that actually his alter-verse copy can but somehow stops or just have him take over as the alter-verse character going back to Rose every-now and then as the others went home from time to time.

Never!

It took me a while to figure out who you were talking about. "alterverse Doctor" is generally called "metacrisis Doctor". :tongue:

If we were to get metacrisis Doctor to come in (meaning the rift would have to be ripped open again, or they'd have to be really desperate and come up with a new mechanism...) then what would happen to the actual Doctor?
Was that the first Doctor Who episode this series that people have actually died in? Probably why I liked it, the ending didn't make the bad guys turn out to be nice, there was no button that made everyone come back to life and there was no speeches about love which have been plaguing this series. Why was Clara so shocked to see a picture of herself in Victorian London though? Obviously this is going to be the first step towards her realising she's lived more than once, but if I saw a picture of myself somewhere I hadn't been my first thought would just be that it must be somewhere I'm going to time travel back to at some point.
Also Jenny is a lot more likeable than Clara, shame she isn't the companion.
Reply 811
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It took me a while to figure out who you were talking about. "alterverse Doctor" is generally called "metacrisis Doctor". :tongue:

If we were to get metacrisis Doctor to come in (meaning the rift would have to be ripped open again, or they'd have to be really desperate and come up with a new mechanism...) then what would happen to the actual Doctor?

I've got it.. The extra lives that River gave the Doctor somehow mean that because the regeneration energy came from an alternate source he can also regenerate into previous forms.

Also decided to watch 'A girl in the fireplace' last night and even if they can't go back to Madame Pompadom they really need the space age clockwork, great enemies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by justanotherposter
Was that the first Doctor Who episode this series that people have actually died in? Probably why I liked it, the ending didn't make the bad guys turn out to be nice, there was no button that made everyone come back to life and there was no speeches about love which have been plaguing this series. Why was Clara so shocked to see a picture of herself in Victorian London though? Obviously this is going to be the first step towards her realising she's lived more than once, but if I saw a picture of myself somewhere I hadn't been my first thought would just be that it must be somewhere I'm going to time travel back to at some point.
Also Jenny is a lot more likeable than Clara, shame she isn't the companion.

There wasn't a picture where she could not have had it done before though. She was wearing those clothes in the episode when in Victorian England.

----
My one gripe with the episode was the sonic screwdriver magically making the Doctor better. Other than that it was quite enjoyable, although not too high a standard.
Original post by SirMasterKey
There wasn't a picture where she could not have had it done before though. She was wearing those clothes in the episode when in Victorian England.

----
My one gripe with the episode was the sonic screwdriver magically making the Doctor better. Other than that it was quite enjoyable, although not too high a standard.

It wasn't the screwdriver, the screwdriver was only used to activate the preservation reversal cell, the same way that Clara was made better.
Original post by rmhumphries
It wasn't the screwdriver, the screwdriver was only used to activate the preservation reversal cell, the same way that Clara was made better.

Oh that's what it was! It just seemed to me like it was a random cupboard he went into :lol:
Original post by Rakas21
He did 'A Town Called Mercy' which i think was the western one.

Never!

Ooh I didn't know he wrote the western one. I can't remember whether I liked it or not. It was definitely different.
Original post by james22

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 817
Original post by ChocolateMelody

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by james22

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Rascacielos

Spoiler