The Student Room Group

over the counter depression pills???

Ive self diagnosed myself with depression and done my research on ways to treat yourself naturally but have only come across st johns... are there any effective pills that anyone knows of that I can purchase to help with constant low moods, depression etc..
and has anyone that takes/taken st johns wort found it effective?
thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Ive self diagnosed myself with depression and done my research on ways to treat yourself naturally but have only come across st johns... are there any effective pills that anyone knows of that I can purchase to help with constant low moods, depression etc..
and has anyone that takes/taken st johns wort found it effective?
thanks

You can't self diagnose yourself with depression, you have to go to GP, because there are other medical conditions that can make you feel low, and you need to check that you haven't got any of these instead.
Reply 2
Original post by draghm
You can't self diagnose yourself with depression, you have to go to GP, because there are other medical conditions that can make you feel low, and you need to check that you haven't got any of these instead.

Only you really, really can self diagnose yourself with it.

I knew I had it long before I went to see any doctors, same goes for many people I know. Doctors aren't magic psychic geniuses, the questionnaires they use to give their oh-so-informed diagnosis of depression are no different to those that are readily available online.
Reply 3
Original post by concubine
Only you really, really can self diagnose yourself with it.

I knew I had it long before I went to see any doctors, same goes for many people I know. Doctors aren't magic psychic geniuses, the questionnaires they use to give their oh-so-informed diagnosis of depression are no different to those that are readily available online.

The problem is that there are other medical conditions that can make you feel like this that are not depression, so if you self diagnose and you are wrong you may have a problem.
I agree with others about going to the Doctors to get a proper diagnosis. You don't have to take any prescriptions they give you or anything.

As for things other than St Johns Wort, look into 5HTP. Note you can't take them both together as it can cause Serotonin Syndrome which can be very dangerous
Reply 5
5HTP pills are pretty good. Helped me when I was taking them, and you get crazy vivid dreams. If it's severe you should really speak to someone, though!
Reply 6
Most doctors are really not that well informed about mental health at all, from experience. The only advantage you would get from going to a doctor over self-diagnosis is that you may have a deficiency of some sort, which I really would get checked if i were you, incase it is a simple vitamin deficiency (however unlikely).

Other than that they may refer you for CBT or prescribe anti-depressants (which i'd avoid if you are only mildly depressed). But unless you see a psychiatrist (for which a referral is extremely unlikely until you've tried many different types of anti-depressants and CBT) then I'd say a good way to start is to read material online, which it looks like you've probably already been doing! I've found the internet to be a lot more helpful than any doctor has ever been ... And regular cardio workouts help too with energy levels and mood. Also make sure you are doing the obvious things too - decent sleep, plenty of water and diet.

But all in all, it really doesn't hurt to see a doctor anyway. At worst, you will walk away with no new information... They're not going to force you into anything.
Reply 7
I must suggest to all my friends not to take any medicine without doctor's prescription.Because sometimes it can cause side-effects on your body.
Original post by Millyshyn
5HTP pills are pretty good.

I second this. Also ensure you are getting all the other viatamins you need including Iron and are excersising enough. Do that for a few weeks and if your still feeling low, go to the docs.
Reply 9
Try 5HTP, I've been on different prescribed anti-depressants for years and they were one of the best I ever tried. You can get them at Holland and Barratt.
Reply 10
Original post by edithwashere
Try 5HTP, I've been on different prescribed anti-depressants for years and they were one of the best I ever tried. You can get them at Holland and Barratt.

The problem is that not all depressive illnesses respond to raised levels of serotonin, it depends what the underlying problem is.
Original post by draghm
The problem is that not all depressive illnesses respond to raised levels of serotonin, it depends what the underlying problem is.

Well the best bet is visiting a GP, but since there's bugger all proof in determining why people get depressed and nobody knows what medication will work until they've tried them out through trial and error, GPs can actually be little to no help at all. I wish they could just take a blood sample and do a diagnosis, but obviously mental illness is nowhere near as predictable as physical illness.
Reply 12
I have been to the doctor several times about feeling very depressed. I am currently having on going treatment for a mis-diagnosis I was given 10 years ago. People say this could be causing me to feel like this as well as all the medication I am on. I have been prescribed citalopram which I took for two months. I suddenly stopped taking them & things took a turn for the worst. I have now started taking them again but I still feel the same. I wake up every morning feeling worthless, I don't want to do anything. I don't see my friends, I avoid going out, I just don't feel like myself anymore. I don't feel normal. It's really hard trying to explain to people exactly how I feel but I sit and cry at least twice a day & I don't have a reason as to why. I've looked online for other treatments and have found things like lexapro, Paxil, fluoxetine... All of them have side effects but I am willing to try anything right now.
does anyone have any advice on these?
i am currently intermitting at university due to being to unwell but neither can I work.
Reply 13
rhodiola rosea and 5htp

TRY
rhodiola rosea this stuff is underrated
Original post by Dannii666
I have been to the doctor several times about feeling very depressed. I am currently having on going treatment for a mis-diagnosis I was given 10 years ago. People say this could be causing me to feel like this as well as all the medication I am on. I have been prescribed citalopram which I took for two months. I suddenly stopped taking them & things took a turn for the worst. I have now started taking them again but I still feel the same. I wake up every morning feeling worthless, I don't want to do anything. I don't see my friends, I avoid going out, I just don't feel like myself anymore. I don't feel normal. It's really hard trying to explain to people exactly how I feel but I sit and cry at least twice a day & I don't have a reason as to why. I've looked online for other treatments and have found things like lexapro, Paxil, fluoxetine... All of them have side effects but I am willing to try anything right now.
does anyone have any advice on these?
i am currently intermitting at university due to being to unwell but neither can I work.

How long have you been taking the citalopram for since you restarted it? It'll probably take a few weeks to feel the same as you did before you stopped it.

I haven't taken any of the others you mentioned, but I know from experience it can take a while to find the right meds, so it's worth speaking to your GP about something else if the citalopram still isn't working after a month or so.
Reply 15
Only a few days. I know from when I last started taking them it took a while for them to get into my system. I'm also using bush flower essences, put them under the tongue, I got some St. John's wort capsules yesterday as well. I'm taking amatryptaline too which are used for pain & can be used for depression as I'm having on-going treatment which a lot of people keep telling me that that's what the depression is down too. I've been very ill the past couple of years. I will stick with the citalopram for a while and hope it works.
thanks!
Original post by Dannii666
Only a few days. I know from when I last started taking them it took a while for them to get into my system. I'm also using bush flower essences, put them under the tongue, I got some St. John's wort capsules yesterday as well. I'm taking amatryptaline too which are used for pain & can be used for depression as I'm having on-going treatment which a lot of people keep telling me that that's what the depression is down too. I've been very ill the past couple of years. I will stick with the citalopram for a while and hope it works.
thanks!

Taking St. John's Wort along with amitriptyline and citalopram is a bad idea, you're risking serotonin syndrome which isn't good. Also, does whoever prescribed you citalopram know that you're taking amitriptyline? Normally you wouldn't combine an SSRI and a tricyclic antidepressant. Would likely make more sense to try a higher dose of amitriptyline for antidepressant effect vs. taking two drugs, especially since it's often a more powerful antidepressant than citalopram anyway.
Original post by draghm

I understand but loads of people know they have depression but are too scared to get help due to stigma.

I've suffered from depression since I was young but I didn't get help until I was much older. Even then I haven't been officially diagnosed but it has been acknowledged.

But I do believe that the OP should go to the doctors first. You can't get over the counter anti-depressants. If you don't want to take anti-depressants then you could always try counselling/CBT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
What advice do you recommend, if I have seen a Doctor, who for yeas refused to help and since has been sacked for killing patients due to false diagnosis'? I am left not only even more depressed but completely alone and now have zero trust in so called ''professionals''. I am the 7th person in my family to suffer this way, including the death of my cousin thanks to another Doctor who operated on the wrong lung because he placed the x-ray sheet backwards, even my uncle (a plumber) pointed this out and was extremely rudely spoken back to by the Doctor who clearly did make this mistake, ignored the clear issue and then killed a child due to his incompetence. If I can't trust anyone (especially Doctors), why not die? There is no positive life in this world now. Everything in life pushes me closer to suicide and I hate to leave my family suffering because of this, but no other options, where what why how do I fix this without suicide? The professionals are pushing me closer to suicide instead of helping in any way at all. The worse thing for my depression was to get help from a Doctor.
Original post by fdghg7
What advice do you recommend, if I have seen a Doctor, who for yeas refused to help and since has been sacked for killing patients due to false diagnosis'? I am left not only even more depressed but completely alone and now have zero trust in so called ''professionals''. I am the 7th person in my family to suffer this way, including the death of my cousin thanks to another Doctor who operated on the wrong lung because he placed the x-ray sheet backwards, even my uncle (a plumber) pointed this out and was extremely rudely spoken back to by the Doctor who clearly did make this mistake, ignored the clear issue and then killed a child due to his incompetence. If I can't trust anyone (especially Doctors), why not die? There is no positive life in this world now. Everything in life pushes me closer to suicide and I hate to leave my family suffering because of this, but no other options, where what why how do I fix this without suicide? The professionals are pushing me closer to suicide instead of helping in any way at all. The worse thing for my depression was to get help from a Doctor.

Doctors can be useless to help with depression and other mental illnesses. How about counselling because they can refer you to CAMHS. Let me know how everything goes and pls don't give up!! Youre loved by many even if you don't feel that way because you hit a low point in your life :frown: ... everything will change

Quick Reply

Latest