The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Clearly you don't get the difference between spending money from the income you generate or having an external investor injecting huge sums of money.

United generate a huge amount of income, just look at how many commercial partners we have for example. The amount of income United generate is quite a lot larger than anyone else in the league and comparable to Real Madrid. Surely, you should be able to spend income you have generated how ever you want, whether that be wages or trying to increase commercial revenue as long as it is sustainable.

That is the difference imo between United and some of the clubs in the past that have had investors inject huge sums of money in a short period of time which is sustainability.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3241
Original post by Wilfred Little
People like you just don't get it at all, do you?

United generate a massive amount of money, probably triple that of City, off the back of years of success and building up their brand. How is generating your own money then reinvesting it in players 'buying' the league? With success comes money (rightly so).

City bought the title. They had all these billions to spend even though they had achieved absolutely nothing to generate their money.

Just saw you're from London. Probably an Arsenal fan, you sound like one.

Good points made by Andrew Martin in the comment section, check it out. I can't copy past it for some reason.

The whole argument regarding finances in the Premier League is unusual, but effectively goes something like this. Let's pretend the teams are all people.

Man United was a good little soul who went to school and listened hard. He grew up, studied hard and got a good job. From the good job, he got good cash. He built up his finances and got promoted in work until he was the highest paid worker. He bought a beautiful house. He then realised his next door neighbours were Chelsea and Man City. They didn't go through all the work he went through. Instead, they won the lottery.

Now breaking away from that ridiculous (but also fun :smile:) analogy, is it right or fair that they got their money that way? To be honest, I don't care. It happened. There are certainly arguments to be made on either side and strong ones at that.

Ultimately, the point is that when United fans complain about other clubs spending they're not complaining about the big money involved, but rather how the clubs came about that money. Whether that's right or not, feel free to discuss.
Original post by Basiji

I made that exact analogy here nearly a week ago.

I do care though. The idea of sport is physical competition. If trophies just go to the highest bidder, there's not really any competition is there? Not in the true sense of how a football club should be run, anyhow.

People who have no problem with what City do, or can't distinguish between them and United and why City are a piece of ****, well they're either thick or they are letting their hate for United cloud their judgement.

It's not good for the sport.
Couple of sources reporting Ronaldo returning to you guys. Nani's apparently part of the deal (or at least, United want him to be) but RM want Hernandez.

One of the sources was The Sun though and most of the rest I haven't even heard of.
Original post by The Assassin
Couple of sources reporting Ronaldo returning to you guys. Nani's apparently part of the deal (or at least, United want him to be) but RM want Hernandez.

One of the sources was The Sun though and most of the rest I haven't even heard of.

I'd like to see him come back to England, he is probably the best player I've seen live (with Messi also), but I can't see this happening.

Having received over £100m for their training ground naming rights plus I think over £1billion for the shirt sponsorship, plus the new huge TV rights deal, plus the money for winning the PL, plus the new Vietnamese bank deal, plus the Japanese social gaming company money, it sounds like Man. United can do what they want. They've just announced record turnover too. There are rumours of Nike possibly stepping in to finance this as well.

Stranger things have happened, although it wouldn't surprise me if this contract stand-off (runs out in 2015?) was just Ronaldo being Ronaldo and loving the attention and will sign a massive 6 year deal worth 300k a week at the end of it.
I originally thought it might happen. With Barca looking so dominant, Jose looking to leave, Messi generally being considered the better player, and Ronaldo complaining about the lack of support he gets from Madrid, I thought he might be looking at leaving La Liga. Now with Barca looking like they may have lost a bit of that stranglehold on Europe, he might change his mind.
I'd like to see him come back to England, he is probably the best player I've seen live (with Messi also), but I can't see this happening.

Having received over £100m for their training ground naming rights plus I think over £1billion for the shirt sponsorship, plus the new huge TV rights deal, plus the money for winning the PL, plus the new Vietnamese bank deal, plus the Japanese social gaming company money, it sounds like Man. United can do what they want. They've just announced record turnover too. There are rumours of Nike possibly stepping in to finance this as well.

Stranger things have happened, although it wouldn't surprise me if this contract stand-off (runs out in 2015?) was just Ronaldo being Ronaldo and loving the attention and will sign a massive 6 year deal worth 300k a week at the end of it.

Yep, made some good points there. And yes, his contract does end in 2015.

There were also rumours about him going to PSG... which wouldn't be popular among many, I'd assume. :lol:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-alex-ferguson-1869901?

United are monitoring Cristiano Ronaldo’s situation at Real Madrid, while Tottenham’s Gareth Bale and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric are also attracting Ferguson’s attention.

Ferguson said: “Everything is in place for a big signing. I think that the Glazers have been great.

“Whenever I have asked, they have delivered.

“If I ask to go for a certain player, I think they will do that.

“When I spoke about value in the market a while back, I was talking about young, developing players.

By Simon Mullock Comments
Making a marquee: Manchester United get backing for big-name signing.. with Bale, Modric and Ronaldo on list

4 May 2013 22:30
Ferguson wants to bring in a centre-back, midfielder and a *left-back while being assuerd he has funds to spend

Bale force: Spurs winger has cleaned up season's awards
Kent Gavin / Daily Mirror
Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to break the bank to keep Manchester United at the summit of English football.

The Red Devils manager wants to build on *reclaiming the Premier League title by making at least one stellar signing this summer.

Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal that *Ferguson has identified a need to *recruit a centre-back, a midfielder and a *left-back but he has assured *United’s fans that the club’s - American owners will give him their full financial backing if he identifies a big-name signing.

United are monitoring Cristiano Ronaldo’s situation at Real Madrid, while Tottenham’s Gareth Bale and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric are also attracting Ferguson’s attention.

Ferguson said: “Everything is in place for a big signing. I think that the Glazers have been great.

“Whenever I have asked, they have delivered.

“If I ask to go for a certain player, I think they will do that.

“When I spoke about value in the market a while back, I was talking about young, developing players.

Get your Croat: Fergie is a long-term admirer of Modric
AP

“Maybe there has been a wind of change and I could go for a really top player now.

“We have a nucleus of young players here, but we may spend something.

“When it’s a top player, it doesn’t matter what position they play in. I will bring them in if they add to the team.

“Last season we had [Javier] Hernandez, [Danny] Welbeck and [Wayne] Rooney and we still went out and bought Robin van Persie.”

I think this is gonna be the biggest signing we have ever made. Definitely!

When have you ever seen Fergie speak in this sort of way about the summer transfers.

I think he wants the champions league. He wants to build a young team but at same time wants the champions league as soon as possible before he retires.
United's highest points totals in the Premier League

1. 1993/94 - 92pts
2. 1999/00 - 91pts
3. 2008-09 - 90pts
4. 2006/07 - 89pts
5. 2011/12 - 89pts
6. 1994/95 - 88pts
7. 2012/13 - 85pts*
8. 2009/10 - 85pts

If we win our remaining three games this will be United's greatest Premier League season of all time, two wins and a draw would equal our previous best. If City were to slip up again we could even beat our own record for highest winning margin (18 points). It may not be our best squad but 2012/13 has been another vintage Manchester United year!
Reply 3249
I hope we win the CL again

Somebody said maybe fergies out of touch in Europe for instance we couldn't win the cl with the 2008 team which was probably one of our best teams

But I don't agree with,that view we did better this year and that was with a weaker.squad so things are getting better

2011 was our worst year in Europe in my memory

Posted from TSR Mobile
People like you just don't get it at all, do you?

United generate a massive amount of money, probably triple that of City, off the back of years of success and building up their brand. How is generating your own money then reinvesting it in players 'buying' the league? With success comes money (rightly so).

City bought the title. They had all these billions to spend even though they had achieved absolutely nothing to generate their money.

Just saw you're from London. Probably an Arsenal fan, you sound like one.

Was going to agree with you - then I read your last sentence.
Reply 3251
Original post by diggy
I hope we win the CL again

Somebody said maybe fergies out of touch in Europe for instance we couldn't win the cl with the 2008 team which was probably one of our best teams

But I don't agree with,that view we did better this year and that was with a weaker.squad so things are getting better

2011 was our worst year in Europe in my memory

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we got to the Champions league final and lost to, at the time, the greatest club team ever.
Unless if you're also talking about the group stage exit later that year.
Can you guys just let us win please :colondollar:
Reply 3253
Original post by Isometrix
Can you guys just let us win please :colondollar:

Strange starting XI today, but I'm just happy that Scholes is at least on the bench :biggrin:
What do people think of phil jones then?

Seeing him in person he is fantastic, I feel a bit sorry for him at the moment being played out of position so often. But his mental side of the game is insane for a player of his age. Is he an actual united fan? I know he came from Blackburn.
Original post by craglyboy
What do people think of phil jones then?

Seeing him in person he is fantastic, I feel a bit sorry for him at the moment being played out of position so often. But his mental side of the game is insane for a player of his age. Is he an actual united fan? I know he came from Blackburn.

Rather he plays than not plays, even if out of position tbh. Reckon SAF feels the same, sometimes you notice the obvious "Need to play Jones whenever we can so just chuck him in" when othe rplayers make more sense.
Original post by qasidb
But we got to the Champions league final and lost to, at the time, the greatest club team ever.
Unless if you're also talking about the group stage exit later that year.

It's certainly not United's worst year in Europe. Finishing dead last in a very easy group in 2006 was worse. The FL record points setting, double winning team of 93/94 failing to even make it into the group stage was worse. Whimpering out of the tournament to Gothenburg the year after, also worse.

Ferguson's always been a bit tactically naive in Europe, even though we've won it twice and we should all be delighted about that, when you look at the squads United have had since 93 we should be up there with Milan, Real Madrid etc. United normally do the group stage fine, but then when it comes to knockout ties its very hit and miss. Fergie's domestic record is unbelievable and unmatchable by anybody, but in Europe he's often been found out big time.
Reply 3258
Valencia OFF
Kagawa ON

I want to see this for the start of the 2nd half.
Reply 3259
Boring game, long may it continue.

Latest