The Student Room Group

are capillaries lined with squamous epithelial cells

are capillaries lined with squamous epithelial cells? Doesn't epithelial mean external so it doesn't really make sense to me (if it was lined with epithelial cells)
Capillaries have squamous epithelium lining. Epithilium means *cells that line organs* squamous means flattened
Original post by celina10
are capillaries lined with squamous epithelial cells? Doesn't epithelial mean external so it doesn't really make sense to me (if it was lined with epithelial cells)

Capillaries are made up of epithelial cells themselves with basemement membrane that hold them.
Original post by lilmi5s_elmo
Capillaries have squamous epithelium lining. Epithilium means *cells that line organs* squamous means flattened

But I read somewhere that epithelium means 'external' i.e. exposed to the outside, and aren't epithelial and endothelial opposite types of tissue? I also read somewhere that endothelium means 'internal'. In my book they also refer to the lining of capillaries as the 'endothelium', how can it have both types of tissue (epithelial and endothelial)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Future_Dr
Capillaries are made up of epithelial cells themselves with basemement membrane that hold them.

But the cells are referred to endothelial cells in my book, it says somewhere (with an arrow pointing to it) 'pore between endothelial cells'.
Reply 5
If the cells line blood vessels they are called endothelial cells instead of epithelial cells . It's something to do with where they originate from in the embryo
Original post by burtondog
If the cells line blood vessels they are called endothelial cells instead of epithelial cells . It's something to do with where they originate from in the embryo

But then someone above said that they're lined with squamous epithelial cells :confused:
But the cells are referred to endothelial cells in my book, it says somewhere (with an arrow pointing to it) 'pore between endothelial cells'.

Oh yes.. I am sorry. I remember now. It's been a year since I did AS bio.

Try and think of the blood vessels as layers. e.g. you have three layers for arteries.

For capillaries, you only have one layer, that is consists of epitherlial cells. Also try and think of them being 'inside' even though they may strictly be not. But you won't be tested to that. When they are inside, the are called endotherlial.
Oh yes.. I am sorry. I remember now. It's been a year since I did AS bio.

Try and think of the blood vessels as layers. e.g. you have three layers for arteries.

For capillaries, you only have one layer, that is consists of epitherlial cells. Also try and think of them being 'inside' even though they may strictly be not. But you won't be tested to that. When they are inside, the are called endotherlial.

But how can they be made of squamous epithelial cells AND be called the endothelium? I'm sorry but I still don't get it

Actually I think I understand now, the endothelium is a type of epithelial tissue the only thing that distinguishes it from the epithelial tissues is the fact that it lines the inside parts of our bodies (and it has some other chemical instead of keratin) therefore the cells that line the capillaries are called squamous epithelial cells but the whole tissue itself is called the endothelium. Is that right? One thing I still don't understand is why it's not just called squamous endothelial cells instead of epithelial. But I guess the name isn't exactly incorrect as endothelial cells are a type of epithelial cells.
(edited 10 years ago)
Actually I think I understand now, the endothelium is a type of epithelial tissue the only thing that distinguishes it from the epithelial tissues is the fact that it lines the inside parts of our bodies (and it has some other chemical instead of keratin) therefore the cells that line are capillaries are called squamous epithelial cells but the whole tissue itself is called the endothelium. Is that right? One thing I still don't understand is why it's not just called squamous endothelial cells instead of epithelial. But I guess the name isn't exactly incorrect as endothelial cells are a type of epithelial cells.

yes. :smile:
I think your confused with the epithelium and the endodermis
Endodermis is the outside one

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yes. :smile:

Original post by alexandraa
I think your confused with the epithelium and the endodermis
Endodermis is the outside one

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I just emailed my teacher and he said that capillaries aren't lined by squamous epithelial cells, it's lined by endothelial cells which are also flattened but it's slightly different to squamous epithelial cells.
... I just copied exactly what is said in my textbook - I spose its different depending on what level you're at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending