The Student Room Group

Religious Studies A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Username_valid
Hi, thanks for the response. What units did you do?

How many quotes would you say is reasonable, maybe 2-3 relevant ones or is it hard to put a number to it?

Could you also provide a link for the OCR books? that would be great!

That's okay :smile: I did Philosophy and Ethics (can't quite remember the unit codes though)
2-3 sounds about right, it does depend on the essay and 2 would probably be fine if you don't want to have to remember tonnes. Saying that, some can be re-used in different essays for perhaps the opposite point of view?

And for the OCR books:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Religious-Ethics-AS-A2/dp/0415468256/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Religious-Ethics-Complete-Student/dp/1850085250/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366006791&sr=1-1&keywords=understanding+religious+ethics+richard+wright
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Philosophy-Religion-AS-A2/dp/0415366305
You might be able to find them cheaper somewhere else, but those are the ones I used :smile:
Reply 41
Hi, thanks for the response. What units did you do?

How many quotes would you say is reasonable, maybe 2-3 relevant ones or is it hard to put a number to it?

Could you also provide a link for the OCR books? that would be great!

That's okay :smile: I did Philosophy and Ethics (can't quite remember the course codes, though...)
2-3 sounds about right, but 2 would probably be fine. It kinda depends on the essay. And you can try to re-use quotes for different points of view in other essays so you don't have to learn quite so many :smile:
As for the OCR books:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0415468256/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0415366313&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1X0THGF5RHG31BT1X6YB
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Religious-Ethics-Complete-Student/dp/1850085250/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366007792&sr=1-1&keywords=understanding+religious+ethics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Philosophy-Religion-AS-A2/dp/0415468248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366007825&sr=1-1&keywords=matthew+taylor+philosophy+of+religion
You might be able to find cheaper versions, but these are the books I used :smile:
Original post by EmilyHelen
That's okay :smile: I did Philosophy and Ethics (can't quite remember the course codes, though...)
2-3 sounds about right, but 2 would probably be fine. It kinda depends on the essay. And you can try to re-use quotes for different points of view in other essays so you don't have to learn quite so many :smile:
As for the OCR books:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0415468256/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0415366313&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1X0THGF5RHG31BT1X6YB
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Religious-Ethics-Complete-Student/dp/1850085250/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366007792&sr=1-1&keywords=understanding+religious+ethics
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Philosophy-Religion-AS-A2/dp/0415468248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366007825&sr=1-1&keywords=matthew+taylor+philosophy+of+religion
You might be able to find cheaper versions, but these are the books I used :smile:

That's great! Thank you

We have the first book from the list in school, so I'll see if I could take it out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Hi I'm in Year 11 and am taking my AS Ethics exam a week on Monday.
Does anyone have any tips for revision? I've made cards with key information on and have done several exam papers..
Which revision techniques for AS Religious Studies- Ethics do you find are the most successful? I am aiming for an A at AS and hope to take my A2 in year 12. Also any tips for improving my answers and the exam itself would be brilliant! Thanks :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VickyHendry
Hi I'm in Year 11 and am taking my AS Ethics exam a week on Monday.
Does anyone have any tips for revision? I've made cards with key information on and have done several exam papers..
Which revision techniques for AS Religious Studies- Ethics do you find are the most successful? I am aiming for an A at AS and hope to take my A2 in year 12. Also any tips for improving my answers and the exam itself would be brilliant! Thanks :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Learn as much detail as you can on all the different theories - makes mini plans on every essay you can, and whatever you do, don't try and predict what might come up - it might seem logical for a subject to come up, but those who set the papers don't work off the same logic - heard SO many disaster stories!
Original post by SimpleTom
Learn as much detail as you can on all the different theories - makes mini plans on every essay you can, and whatever you do, don't try and predict what might come up - it might seem logical for a subject to come up, but those who set the papers don't work off the same logic - heard SO many disaster stories!

Thanks so much! That will help loads when I begin revising again in the morning!:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
im on WJEC and my AS exam is a week today. I know everything pretty well but im only floating around the low A grade. They say i need more scholars, which i understand, but im finding it really difficult to implement them in and also remember them. Anyone got any tips?
Reply 47
Anyone doing WJEC RS3: Ethics . I've decided to choose Kantian Ethics and Abortion/Euthanasia, anyone got any pointers on getting the A*?
Does anyone have any model answers or plan with the religious language questions? (A or A* answers)
Original post by ILoveTehran
Does anyone have any model answers or plan with the religious language questions? (A or A* answers)

Not really, I don't have much information for the religious language topic. I can only think of Wittgenstein really. Have you made model answers for all the points on the spec?
Reply 50
How did people find A2 compared to AS? I've heard it gets a lot harder.. What do you guys think?

(I'm doing edexcel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone confirm something for me please? Getting an A* in RS works the same way as any other subject, that is, 80% overall with 90% in the two A2 modules?
(edited 10 years ago)
Can someone confirm something for me please? Getting an A* in RS works the same way as any other subject, that it, 80% overall with 90% in the two A2 modules?

Yup.
Original post by Jackkkkk
I got an A* in A Level RS and the Key to success is the specification. They examiners cannot ask anything that is not mentioned on the spec and the questions come directly from it. If you learn the bullet points well there is no reason not to do great. Make sure you are clear about the distinction between AO1 and AO2, descriptive and evaluative essays.

- Use contemporary examples, from the news for ethics based exams,
- If your doing Philosophy or scripture based modules then make sure you know names and clearly understand the differing arguments
-Key Words is most important, especially for AQA, use them and use them properly
-Start all essays by linking it to the spec, and outlining the issues associated with the question and also how different people might interpret the question differently
- if you can go to a uni library or a good public one and get different information to that all your class mates have! If an examiner is ready 100 scripts that all sound and read the same with the same content they will far more impressed when they pick yours up with different information and view points !
- When you get in the exam, look at the questions and spend maybe 5 mins on a blank piece of paper planning you answers. This is a good thing to do as it allows you to see all the area's you need to cover and things you want to include in one space and not just floating in your head, this way you can construct a better essay!

the most important thing is try and come across interested even if your not, sound passionate and write with an interest :smile:

Although I'm doing Philosophy and Applied Ethics at GCSE level, your advice is quite useful. Thanks
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Yup.

Thank you
Not really, I don't have much information for the religious language topic. I can only think of Wittgenstein really. Have you made model answers for all the points on the spec?

Nope I haven't.
Any guesses as to which article will come in Paper 4? I reckon Ayer will come up
Reply 56
does anyone have any sample or Modal answers for RST3A??
Original post by ILoveTehran
Nope I haven't.
Any guesses as to which article will come in Paper 4? I reckon Ayer will come up

Erm, I don't have Ayer or an article for my exam. I'm with AQA doing RST4A. Is that the same board as you?
Reply 58
Hello, my wjec rs3 exam is a week away and I was just wondering if anybody could give me some tips with how to get top marks considering libertarianism because most textbooks are vague and I feel as if I'm giving an insufficient answer!
Erm, I don't have Ayer or an article for my exam. I'm with AQA doing RST4A. Is that the same board as you?

No, I'm on edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending