The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by JessicaLee123
see the marking guide for that paper. very very helpful :smile: gives you negatives and positives of immigration. Then you would bring in what the federal government has done in response to immigration like the USA Patriot Act.
The likelihood of the Q coming up i would say is slim but who knows.

Thank you! I'll have a look :-)
Reply 461
I wish the exam was in the afternoon, I hope I'm not too much of a zombie on Thursday morning :biggrin:
Reply 462
Also, I mentioned this before and was told to look at marking schemes which was helpful but I'm still a little confused!

Would anyone be able to show me how I would set out a AMS vs FPTP essay or even link me to an example essay? I'm fine with STV but I've never practised AMS before in class and I'm not just finding it difficult to find relevant points but also providing evidence to back them up...
Original post by ladymarshmallow
It's this Thursday! :eek:
I feel that I sometimes over-think the DME, but I just need to keep it sweet and simple. :tongue:

Oh, the excitement! :tongue: :lol:

I'm sure you'll all do great :smile:
Today hasn't been the best of revision days - gonna try to make up for it tonight! Zero motivation though :frown:
I've got an exam before this on Wednesday which gives me one day less than everyone else too!
Reply 465
Has anyone heard any predictions for The China topic?
Reply 466
Original post by hollieeilloh
Today hasn't been the best of revision days - gonna try to make up for it tonight! Zero motivation though :frown:
I've got an exam before this on Wednesday which gives me one day less than everyone else too!

Im in the same boat! Is it Admin you have on the Wednesday? It's so hard to keep focused especially when there is so much to try and get though!!
Reply 467
Original post by fjords
Also, I mentioned this before and was told to look at marking schemes which was helpful but I'm still a little confused!

Would anyone be able to show me how I would set out a AMS vs FPTP essay or even link me to an example essay? I'm fine with STV but I've never practised AMS before in class and I'm not just finding it difficult to find relevant points but also providing evidence to back them up...

there is a section on the SQA website with past answers with the mark awarded and also where the marks were given. I'm not sure where but it won't be hard to find!
Original post by Louden69
Im in the same boat! Is it Admin you have on the Wednesday? It's so hard to keep focused especially when there is so much to try and get though!!

Yeah! I'm only doing Int.2 (my school doesn't let you crash Higher) and I mean, obviously it's easy compared to other subjects like MS (managed to get 99% in the prelim with 0 revision...lol) I'm still a bit like, uh, I should really get the books out!

Are you doing Admin too? :smile:
Totally feel the same - ah well, suppose we can only do our best!
Reply 469
My personal predictions:

Study theme 1D-Electoral systems and NOT voting behaviour
Study theme 2- Wealth on health or govt responses to wealth inequalities
Study theme 3A - Social and economic
Study theme 3C - Political progress of ethnic minorities or immigration

For the DME it will most likely be on wealth
Reply 470
Yeah! I'm only doing Int.2 (my school doesn't let you crash Higher) and I mean, obviously it's easy compared to other subjects like MS (managed to get 99% in the prelim with 0 revision...lol) I'm still a bit like, uh, I should really get the books out!

Are you doing Admin too? :smile:
Totally feel the same - ah well, suppose we can only do our best!

I've never done Admin before, but for some reason I picked it haha.. but i got a B in the prelim so it should be okay! I'm super panicking for MS though because I failed the prelim, probably down to NO studying at all I suppose, so I'm cramming everything in now! Bad move!
I've never done Admin before, but for some reason I picked it haha.. but i got a B in the prelim so it should be okay! I'm super panicking for MS though because I failed the prelim, probably down to NO studying at all I suppose, so I'm cramming everything in now! Bad move!

Haha I just took it to fill a column, honestly think it's the most boring subject to exist :tongue: yeah, sounds like you'll be fine!
Still cramming it all in means it'll be fresh in your memory, I'm starting to forget things I memorised last week :frown: have you done much DME revision?
Reply 472
Haha I just took it to fill a column, honestly think it's the most boring subject to exist :tongue: yeah, sounds like you'll be fine!
Still cramming it all in means it'll be fresh in your memory, I'm starting to forget things I memorised last week :frown: have you done much DME revision?

I know tell me about it!! And I picked it as higher for next year, I must be insane! No not at all!! I walked out the prelim for the DME thinking I had cracked it, and failed haha :frown: I'm not too sure how to revise it, maybe just past papers.. Have you?

I know tell me about it!! And I picked it as higher for next year, I must be insane! No not at all!! I walked out the prelim for the DME thinking I had cracked it, and failed haha :frown: I'm not too sure how to revise it, maybe just past papers.. Have you?

Hahaha awww I feel for you! I'm in 6th year (...or.. was I suppose haha, last day was Friday!) so no more admin for meeee! I've done none either :/ yeah, I feel like it's kinda hit or miss! I honestly doubt I'll do much, probably just have a read over notes/statistics 'cause I feel like I know the layout etc fine!
Reply 474
Hahaha awww I feel for you! I'm in 6th year (...or.. was I suppose haha, last day was Friday!) so no more admin for meeee! I've done none either :/ yeah, I feel like it's kinda hit or miss! I honestly doubt I'll do much, probably just have a read over notes/statistics 'cause I feel like I know the layout etc fine!

Lucky you!! I'll need to get my head down haha :frown: well good luck in your exams!
Reply 475
Original post by laylaax
My personal predictions:

Study theme 1D-Electoral systems and NOT voting behaviour
Study theme 2- Wealth on health or govt responses to wealth inequalities
Study theme 3A - Social and economic
Study theme 3C - Political progress of ethnic minorities or immigration

For the DME it will most likely be on wealth

Just out of interest, why do you think the DME will be on wealth? It's been wealth for the last 2 years and before that they've always alternated them.
Reply 476
Why are people saying AMS vs FPTP? Didn't it come up in 2007? HELP!
hey i was wondering if anyone had any predictions for topic areas
A1 (Devolved Decision Making In Scotland), B5/6 (Health and Wealth), C8 (China), C9 (USA).

thanks!
Lucky you!! I'll need to get my head down haha :frown: well good luck in your exams!

Thank you - same to you!
Reply 479
Starting to get a bit frantic over here, haha.

I'm actually still writing my notes, currently half way through the USA topic and going to move on to Politics of Development next. I'm just hoping the next three days will give me enough time to actually learn the information and the ridiculous amount of statistics!

It's such a pain that you have all this stuff to learn yet only have to answer four questions...

Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending