The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Went and got myself injured and fatigued after winning a suffocatingly long match today - will be out for 1 week :frown: Ah well, at least I can try and watch Madrid next week.

(6-7, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 9-7)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1321
Original post by Krish4791
Went and got myself injured and fatigued after winning a suffocatingly long match today - will be out for 1 week :frown: Ah well, at least I can try and watch Madrid next week.

awww, get well soon :smile:
Original post by Natty.B
awww, get well soon :smile:

Andy has a pretty good draw; Nadal, Federer, Ferrer and Almagro all in the other half. Hopefully he has a decent run.
Reply 1324
Original post by jamiepango
Andy has a pretty good draw; Nadal, Federer, Ferrer and Almagro all in the other half. Hopefully he has a decent run.

Potentially Bellucci in the second round could be tricky and I can see Berdych beating him in the quarters if he makes it there. Could make the semis though.
Original post by Prendah
Potentially Bellucci in the second round could be tricky and I can see Berdych beating him in the quarters if he makes it there. Could make the semis though.

Depends if Berdych turns up. He hasn't played much on clay this year, and lost quite early in both tournaments. We shall wait and see...
I'm pretty sure Berdych will beat Andy. He's a tough match-up for Murray at the best of times.
Yeah I've picked Berdych over Murray - judging by his listless performance at Monte Carlo I think he'll get through a few rounds but when he runs into a quality opponent he'll be knocked out, maybe even in straight sets again.

I've been very unimaginative and picked a Nadal-Djokovic final, this time with Rafa taking the trophy. By his standards that was his poorest showing at Monte Carlo for a long time (although Djokovic was phenomenal in the final) so I expect him to play better in Madrid, now that it's returned to proper clay. He overcame the disappointment of losing to Djoker in MC by winning his invitational in Barcelona and I can't see him being challenged by anyone before the final, apart from perhaps Federer, who seems to play well in Madrid.

Of the rising stars I've put Goffin down to win two rounds against Verdasco and Raonic, Dimitrov is unfortunate to run into Djoker in R2.
I've reversed my decision and have Djokovic taking the Madrid title over Nadal. Like most others, I've got Berdych beating Murray in the QFs, so should be interesting.

Roger may challenge Rafa, but I'm taking no chances here. Even though I am a fan, I will be a little upset if he repeats Madrid '09 performance :tongue: (I'll be happy alright, but my draw then gets messed up)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1329
Original post by Sirocco11
Yeah I've picked Berdych over Murray - judging by his listless performance at Monte Carlo I think he'll get through a few rounds but when he runs into a quality opponent he'll be knocked out, maybe even in straight sets again.

I've been very unimaginative and picked a Nadal-Djokovic final, this time with Rafa taking the trophy. By his standards that was his poorest showing at Monte Carlo for a long time (although Djokovic was phenomenal in the final) so I expect him to play better in Madrid, now that it's returned to proper clay. He overcame the disappointment of losing to Djoker in MC by winning his invitational in Barcelona and I can't see him being challenged by anyone before the final, apart from perhaps Federer, who seems to play well in Madrid.

Of the rising stars I've put Goffin down to win two rounds against Verdasco and Raonic, Dimitrov is unfortunate to run into Djoker in R2.

I agree about Monte Carlo, I went back and watched highlights of the Dimitrov match and the final, Rafa at times just wasn't himself, of course that was also due to how well his opponents were playing. Like in the second set of the MC final, he missed some shots he usually wouldn't, simple smashes etc...anyway best to put that one behind me.

Rafa's Madrid draw is okay, I expect Almagro to give him a bit of a challenge in R3 and perhaps Paire in R2 for like a set (just like he did in Barcelona). Federer is really good in Madrid so I'm not looking past the semis :wink: For some reason I think Murray will do well in Madrid this year, not sure why but I'm just having that feeling.

I'm not doing the draw challenge this time. Djokovic shouldn't have many problems in getting to the final, the only person I can see giving him troubles is Wawrinka (if he is ON) and maybe Murray.
Original post by Natty.B
I'm not doing the draw challenge this time.

Why not?
Reply 1331
Wawrinka almost bagelled Ferrer. He is looking very impressive on clay.
Off and running! Verdasco beats Goffin 7-6, 6-2, to help me seal 1 point in the draw challenge.
I picked Goffin. :frown:
Original post by Prendah
Wawrinka almost bagelled Ferrer. He is looking very impressive on clay.

He is good on clay - in fact Wawrinka has shown himself to be surprisingly versatile on all surfaces. That's pretty incredible to breadstick Ferrer on clay. I really hope he wins - ever since that epic at th Australian I've been willing him on to titles.
Wawrinka has an extremely good clay serve. Excellent kick.
Original post by TopHat
I picked Goffin. :frown:

FFS Goffin! I really expected Verdasco to choke in front of his home crowd.
Wawrinka breaks to serve for the tournament.
Seems likely barely anyone on here picked verdasco over goffin

Luckily I did but hopefully wawrinka can beat him - I too would like him to do well but its too bad he has djokovic
Wawrinka wins Estoril. Great performance and was amazingly consistent off the ground against someone like Ferrer.

Latest