The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by tom2013
It was really hard, especially the last question! My teacher was like that's the hardest paper she has ever seen in her life on that unit. And there was couple of application question, I got the paper with if you want it ??

Hi, Please could you send me the f325 paper and MSto [email protected] , I would be very grateful. Thanks.
Reply 561
Original post by otrivine
Asking each other questions? :tongue:

Yeah go on then :smile:
Original post by uttamo
Yeah go on then :smile:

Define:Lattice Enthalpy (2)
Reply 563
Original post by otrivine
Define:Lattice Enthalpy (2)

The energy change when 1 mol of an ionic compound forms from its constituent gaseous ions under STP.

What is the ionic equation of the reaction between iodine and thiosulfate ions?
Original post by uttamo
the energy change when 1 mol of an ionic compound forms from its constituent gaseous ions under stp.

What is the ionic equation of the reaction between iodine and thiosulfate ions?

i2 + 2s2o32- ---> 2i- + s4o62-
Could anyone show me how to answer this question step by step , I can get the correct products and reactants but cannot understand the balancing :

Construct the equation for the oxidation of acidified iron (ii) ions by oxygen.

This is the answer : 4Fe^2+ + O2 + 4H^+ --> 4Fe^3+ + 2H2O
Reply 566
Original post by bhcstudent
Could anyone show me how to answer this question step by step , I can get the correct products and reactants but cannot understand the balancing :

Construct the equation for the oxidation of acidified iron (ii) ions by oxygen.

This is the answer : 4Fe^2+ + O2 + 4H^+ --> 4Fe^3+ + 2H2O

First step write out a basic equation:

H+ + Fe2+ +o2 ->Fe3+ + H2O
Then balance the oxygens so a 2 in front of the H20. Then balance the hydrogen ions with a 4. You then know oxidation of Fe is +1, but the reduction of oxygen is -4 so you neeed a 4 in front of both the Fes.
Original post by Tobeadoc
First step write out a basic equation:

H+ + Fe2+ +o2 ->Fe3+ + H2O
Then balance the oxygens so a 2 in front of the H20. Then balance the hydrogen ions with a 4. You then know oxidation of Fe is +1, but the reduction of oxygen is -4 so you neeed a 4 in front of both the Fes.

Cheers, I don't know why I didn't start simple with 2 half equations haha thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 568
Doing the Final Module.

Has any one seen any Exam Questions on the Optical Isomerism of Complexes ???? Like Drawing out?

They seem quite hardcore not sure they would show up in an exam question??
Original post by Better
Doing the Final Module.

Has any one seen any Exam Questions on the Optical Isomerism of Complexes ???? Like Drawing out?

They seem quite hardcore not sure they would show up in an exam question??

If its drawing out complexes as either optical or stereoisomers then they are asked for and they aren't that hard really, just need to remember the few little alterations between them.

Practice makes perfect though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 570
Original post by MathsNerd1
If its drawing out complexes as either optical or stereoisomers then they are asked for and they aren't that hard really, just need to remember the few little alterations between them.

Practice makes perfect though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay cheers. Think I found a trick. For the Cis-Trans one its straight forward enough 90degrees-180 degrees Then for the Stereoisomers, you can just draw out one, and then remember the other one is just a "mirror" image, so reflect it.

Well I hope that will work. I was supposed to finish my D1 Papers and Do a Chem 5 Specimen Paper today. Only did 1/4 Papers D1 argh.

Why am I taking so long. Need to start revising for the subject I am going to do the night before. My brain just wasn't clicking for Chemistry for like 3 hours.
Original post by Better
Ah okay cheers. Think I found a trick. For the Cis-Trans one its straight forward enough 90degrees-180 degrees Then for the Stereoisomers, you can just draw out one, and then remember the other one is just a "mirror" image, so reflect it.

Well I hope that will work. I was supposed to finish my D1 Papers and Do a Chem 5 Specimen Paper today. Only did 1/4 Papers D1 argh.

Why am I taking so long. Need to start revising for the subject I am going to do the night before. My brain just wasn't clicking for Chemistry for like 3 hours.

Yeah those are the tricks I've read about so I'll just be doing that too, although the hardest part will be determining whether a complex will have a square planar strcuture or a tetrahedral one, but they should give us clues in the question I hope :smile:

Well don't panic and just try again tomorrow, maybe a break will be good as I know that D1 papers can be extremely tedious and draining, at least they were for me.
Reply 572
Yeah those are the tricks I've read about so I'll just be doing that too, although the hardest part will be determining whether a complex will have a square planar strcuture or a tetrahedral one, but they should give us clues in the question I hope :smile:

Well don't panic and just try again tomorrow, maybe a break will be good as I know that D1 papers can be extremely tedious and draining, at least they were for me.

They are boring as hell. Today's one was satisfying. The exams on the 17. I just want my teacher to hand me all my work back by at Least Friday the 10th like a week before. Think I can get an A* in it, but someone on this Forum reminded me that it doesn't mean much if I don't do the same C3/C4.... -___- It was a very good point.

Square Planar....wait what.... :s-smilie: These shapes confuse me slightly! You seem much further in Chem 5 Revision than I am haha keep it up mate.

I need to get all the Papers Done for Chem 5 by like the 21st. Apparently we have Half-Term which is annoying. I really pray the Teachers are in school so they can mark my work!
Reply 573
Original post by uttamo
The questions in this paper are so nasty. One of my classmates told me she saw a 20-marker! The max you would get previously was like 12 marks but even that was a juicy NMR question that was satisfying.

Edit: reason for negs?

Sorry I negged because everyone else did.

Guess that makes me a Sheep....
Original post by Better
They are boring as hell. Today's one was satisfying. The exams on the 17. I just want my teacher to hand me all my work back by at Least Friday the 10th like a week before. Think I can get an A* in it, but someone on this Forum reminded me that it doesn't mean much if I don't do the same C3/C4.... -___- It was a very good point.

Square Planar....wait what.... :s-smilie: These shapes confuse me slightly! You seem much further in Chem 5 Revision than I am haha keep it up mate.

I need to get all the Papers Done for Chem 5 by like the 21st. Apparently we have Half-Term which is annoying. I really pray the Teachers are in school so they can mark my work!

Well I'm the same with my M1 exam but I'm just remaining calm and only doing 1-2 papers a week although this might increase slowly increase as these days pass by, but yeah I agree that doing better in C3 and C4 is definitely better than D1.

Its just a different a different structure which has a 90 degree bond angle which is normally present in cis-platin and also in the question the clue will be that the complex produces stereoisomers so you know it can't be tetrahedral and therefore can only be the square planar structure.

Yeah I'll be seriously picking up my revision when it gets closer but after doing a past paper the questions all seem quite similiar, if not routine slightly. Just keep at it and you'll get what you want to. :smile:
Reply 575
Well I'm the same with my M1 exam but I'm just remaining calm and only doing 1-2 papers a week although this might increase slowly increase as these days pass by, but yeah I agree that doing better in C3 and C4 is definitely better than D1.

Its just a different a different structure which has a 90 degree bond angle which is normally present in cis-platin and also in the question the clue will be that the complex produces stereoisomers so you know it can't be tetrahedral and therefore can only be the square planar structure.

Yeah I'll be seriously picking up my revision when it gets closer but after doing a past paper the questions all seem quite similiar, if not routine slightly. Just keep at it and you'll get what you want to. :smile:

Thanks again mate! It's nice speaking to you its really helping me keep up beat and focused !

Yeah let's do this mate hahah ! Yeah you'll do fine in M1 keep it up, I only got 80 in it with like 2 weeks revision. No matter what don't get complacent, or else you'll do as badly haha*

You should be able to smash it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 576
Really need to start revising for this exam ?
Just found this god of a post with revision material specific to the syllabus for all the Chemistry AS and A2 units. Sorry if it's been posted here before.

I only just found these myself so thought maybe they'll come in handy now to someone else at least! Not mine btw.
Reply 578
There is soo much to remember.. I don't mind the calculations, but the parts on ligands/transition metals etc is really difficult to remember all..
Reply 579
Original post by Giggy88
There is soo much to remember.. I don't mind the calculations, but the parts on ligands/transition metals etc is really difficult to remember all..

Chem 5 is literally so much easier than Chem 4. I just recapped the whole syllabus just from the Chapter Headings in around 2 hours. Only made a few mistakes. If you are struggling try to do what I am doing and make it as visiual as possible and remember tricks. Going to do a Specimen Paper, and try to have 2010/2011 Papers done by the end of this week and give them to my teacher.

But as for learning Chem 5 - Remember Tricks, make it easy for yourself

I.e. Cu2+ is always Pale Blue --> Pale Blue, unless its with Cl- then it forms Pale Blue to yellow, and do little stuff like there is a "U" in Cu

Cu
Blue They sound similar, sounds dumb, but it makes it 1000x easier to remember. You don't have to actively think about what is what, you just remember by doing dumb stuff like that.

If anyone has any tricks for Chem 4 Mod 1 and Mod 2 please do share? THAT is what I find a bit tricky. Remembering Organic Stuff. There must be a method.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending