The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody have tips for the best possible essay structure to follow in an exam?
I'm studying Yeats (OCR)
I get confused on how to construct the main body... (lang,structure,imagery) or several points and then add them within?
THANKS!
Original post by fatimaojeerally
Does anybody have tips for the best possible essay structure to follow in an exam?
I'm studying Yeats (OCR)
I get confused on how to construct the main body... (lang,structure,imagery) or several points and then add them within?
THANKS!

We are told to make about five points and then expand on them with quotes and a link to another poem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
I'm doing this exam and we're studying Yeats for poetry and Frankenstein for prose! Anyone else doing them and has any predictions on what will come up? I think it will be a question about Easter 1916 for Yeats and maybe something about Justice for Frankenstein. Although that might just be wishful thinking :tongue: I don definitely have a feeling Easter 1916 will be the poem that comes up though, I saw a poll on a very useful revision website that thinks it will as well!
Original post by NiallD
I'm doing this exam and we're studying Yeats for poetry and Frankenstein for prose! Anyone else doing them and has any predictions on what will come up? I think it will be a question about Easter 1916 for Yeats and maybe something about Justice for Frankenstein. Although that might just be wishful thinking :tongue: I don definitely have a feeling Easter 1916 will be the poem that comes up though, I saw a poll on a very useful revision website that thinks it will as well!

I am doing the same as you too. I am thinking/hoping for a poem which is from Yeats' earlier life; in other words, not one of the longer ones like Among School Children.

Frankenstein I am thinking something like what type of a novel is it, or women in the novel.
Reply 64
Original post by GeneralStudent95
I am doing the same as you too. I am thinking/hoping for a poem which is from Yeats' earlier life; in other words, not one of the longer ones like Among School Children.

Frankenstein I am thinking something like what type of a novel is it, or women in the novel.

I'd hate it if Among Schoolchildren came up! Do not understand that poem at all :tongue: Although my teachers have said they strongly doubt it will come up as it's far too advanced, and they think it's just in there for cross reference, as it links well to lots of poems in the selection. Yeah I agree the earlier ones tend to be easier to understand and write about, the only late one I'd want to come up would be In Memory of EGB and CM as I think I understand that quite well and have a lot to say about it.

By what type of nover it is do you mean frame narrative and epistolary etc? I have some stuff I could say about that, but I'd find it hard to link to context and critical quotes so I'd probably answer the other one if that came up. Women would be interesting, although I'd probably find it easier to write about a theme in the poem, like something like justice, ambition or isolation. How are you revising? :smile:
Original post by NiallD
I'd hate it if Among Schoolchildren came up! Do not understand that poem at all :tongue: Although my teachers have said they strongly doubt it will come up as it's far too advanced, and they think it's just in there for cross reference, as it links well to lots of poems in the selection. Yeah I agree the earlier ones tend to be easier to understand and write about, the only late one I'd want to come up would be In Memory of EGB and CM as I think I understand that quite well and have a lot to say about it.

By what type of nover it is do you mean frame narrative and epistolary etc? I have some stuff I could say about that, but I'd find it hard to link to context and critical quotes so I'd probably answer the other one if that came up. Women would be interesting, although I'd probably find it easier to write about a theme in the poem, like something like justice, ambition or isolation. How are you revising? :smile:

Yes, I quite like 'In Memory of Eva Gore-Booth' too. If I was really guessing, and had to put money on it, I would say that one of the political poems will come up ('September 1913' or 'Easter 1916') or a poem which questions life ('Second Coming' or 'Cold Heaven')

Well, there has been zero which has come up about Gothic, Romantic, Science Fiction novels. So our class was thinking a question which states that the novel is, "Gothic," and gives you the option to explore that view. Is the novel really a Gothic one, or is it more romantic? Something like that, considering that nothing on novel classification has come up as of yet.

I am just going through all the poems with several notes booklets and making notes around each poem. For Frankenstein I learnt several critics, lots of quotes from the text, contextual information, allusions and several other themes.
Reply 66
Yes, I quite like 'In Memory of Eva Gore-Booth' too. If I was really guessing, and had to put money on it, I would say that one of the political poems will come up ('September 1913' or 'Easter 1916') or a poem which questions life ('Second Coming' or 'Cold Heaven')

Well, there has been zero which has come up about Gothic, Romantic, Science Fiction novels. So our class was thinking a question which states that the novel is, "Gothic," and gives you the option to explore that view. Is the novel really a Gothic one, or is it more romantic? Something like that, considering that nothing on novel classification has come up as of yet.

I am just going through all the poems with several notes booklets and making notes around each poem. For Frankenstein I learnt several critics, lots of quotes from the text, contextual information, allusions and several other themes.

Yeah most of my class are hoping a political one will come up. If The Cold Heaven came up I wouldn't know what to write, I like the poem but it's so unclear what's going on and it's so short I'd find it pretty hard to write a full essay about it :tongue:

Ah I see, yeah there's lots to say about Gothic and Romanticism in the book so that would be a good one.

Yeah Yeats is pretty straight forward to revise for compared to Frankenstein, I'm doing pretty much the same as you. I really need to start learning critical quotes and context facts as I don't have enough of them so far, but currently I'm going through York Notes for Frankenstein and adding stuff from there to my own notes, which is a really useful book as it has analysis of each chapter, and then bits about key characters and themes and quotes for them etc :smile:
Original post by NiallD
Yeah most of my class are hoping a political one will come up. If The Cold Heaven came up I wouldn't know what to write, I like the poem but it's so unclear what's going on and it's so short I'd find it pretty hard to write a full essay about it :tongue:

Ah I see, yeah there's lots to say about Gothic and Romanticism in the book so that would be a good one.

Yeah Yeats is pretty straight forward to revise for compared to Frankenstein, I'm doing pretty much the same as you. I really need to start learning critical quotes and context facts as I don't have enough of them so far, but currently I'm going through York Notes for Frankenstein and adding stuff from there to my own notes, which is a really useful book as it has analysis of each chapter, and then bits about key characters and themes and quotes for them etc :smile:

I love the Cold Heaven, such a great poem. I would also love Leda and the Swan, it's another good one.

Where did you get your critics, Fred Botting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
I love the Cold Heaven, such a great poem. I would also love Leda and the Swan, it's another good one.

Where did you get your critics, Fred Botting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes The Cold Heaven is a great poem, not one I'd want to write about for the exam though :tongue: Yeah I love Leda & The Swan as well, definitely one of the most interesting poems!

I've got some from a variety of sources such as Mike Rossington and Mary Favret and I've got some from David Lodge about narrative technique in general.
Hi Guys,

Im still a bit confused for the Yeats part of the exam. I've even got an essay now, that I have no clue about. Could someone please tell me how to go about the poetry part of the exam.

Yeats is a good poet, I get B's and C's in my essay but I really want an A. I just don't get what I'm supposed to be doing and how I should be going about this.

The essay question I have for homework is "Discuss beauty and melancholy in the Stolen Child"

HELPPP!!
Reply 70
Original post by victorazubuike
Hi Guys,

Im still a bit confused for the Yeats part of the exam. I've even got an essay now, that I have no clue about. Could someone please tell me how to go about the poetry part of the exam.

Yeats is a good poet, I get B's and C's in my essay but I really want an A. I just don't get what I'm supposed to be doing and how I should be going about this.

The essay question I have for homework is "Discuss beauty and melancholy in the Stolen Child"

HELPPP!!

Just make sure you know the poems well and can think of links between them :smile: Try and do some notes on language, imagery and structure/form for each poem and try and memorise the points, particularly try and identify something about the metrical pattern of each poem and remember it for the exam as my teacher said examiners will be really impressed if you talk about metre :smile: For your essay question I'd probably talk about how Yeats creates a boundary between the real world and supernatural, presenting the supernatural world as 'beautiful' and the real world as 'melancholy' :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by NiallD

I actually have the same feeling...its got to be a political poem! Do you think the poll is right?
Original post by Lizy
I actually have the same feeling...its got to be a political poem! Do you think the poll is right?

It's a tough one to call; they could select a political one or they might continue with similar love poems like Eva Gore Booth. My instinict is they will put up a question on either violence or mortality
Reply 73
It's a tough one to call; they could select a political one or they might continue with similar love poems like Eva Gore Booth. My instinict is they will put up a question on either violence or mortality

So do you think Leda and the Swan and Sailing to Byzantium are more likely than lets say Easter 1916?

Also I was wandering how many other poems should we reference in our answers?

and does anyone know where I can find any critics for the novel section, i can't seem to find any online.....I'm doing the Picture of DG
Original post by Lizy
So do you think Leda and the Swan and Sailing to Byzantium are more likely than lets say Easter 1916?

Also I was wandering how many other poems should we reference in our answers?

and does anyone know where I can find any critics for the novel section, i can't seem to find any online.....I'm doing the Picture of DG

I think Leda is a strong possibility as are Cold Heaven and Second Coming. Byzantium is possible too.

If it was Easter 1916 it would most likely be on disillusionment with the nationalist cause or Ireland
Original post by victorazubuike
Hi Guys,

HELPPP!!

I could send you an example essay if you want?
Reply 76
Original post by Lizy

I really hope so, we did our mock on Easter 1916 at class and I got 29/30 so I'm hoping it comes up and I can just repeat what I wrote :tongue: The poem at the top of that poll last year (The Wild Swans At Coole) and the poem my school did for the mock last year was also WSAC, so I'm taking that as meaning it's likely that Easter 1916 will come up this year :tongue: Of course it doesn't mean it will though, but I do have a strong feeling that it will. The poem 2nd in the poll is Sailing To Byzantium which would possibly be my least favourite to come up out of all the collection, however I don't really see it as likely as it's mostly about dying/age, and that's the question they asked for the January exam on Broken Dreams!
Original post by NiallD
I really hope so, we did our mock on Easter 1916 at class and I got 29/30 so I'm hoping it comes up and I can just repeat what I wrote :tongue: The poem at the top of that poll last year (The Wild Swans At Coole) and the poem my school did for the mock last year was also WSAC, so I'm taking that as meaning it's likely that Easter 1916 will come up this year :tongue: Of course it doesn't mean it will though, but I do have a strong feeling that it will. The poem 2nd in the poll is Sailing To Byzantium which would possibly be my least favourite to come up out of all the collection, however I don't really see it as likely as it's mostly about dying/age, and that's the question they asked for the January exam on Broken Dreams!

If it is on Easter 1916 what will the question focus on? Disillusionment?
Reply 78
If it is on Easter 1916 what will the question focus on? Disillusionment?

Our question for our mock was on his presentation of Ireland, which I kind of twisted a bit to make it about change as I had loads to say about change in the poem. It's unlikely that the question will be on change for the real thing though, as that theme came up last year for Wild Swans.
I could send you an example essay if you want?

Yes please, that would be great!
My email is [Removed - please use PMs or post here]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending