The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It was a very laboured performance which you can expect since the title is wrapped up but I don't think it helped that Chelsea weren't really as attacking and pressing as much as I expected them to considering they are chasing fourth. They had some half chances but had they really backed us into a corner then I would have expected us to fight back.

I didn't see anything major wrong with Ramires tackle, the ball dropped back to us in the half as the move progressed but we didn't take control of it, a shot and deflection later, we're 1-0 down.

I thought the sending off should have been a yellow but if you remember the Craig Fagan tackle at Newcastle few years ago then I imagine that was in the mind of the lineswoman and Webb, if he saw it in its entirety.

But Luiz, I felt was smiling because he got the reaction and maybe it was his fellow Brazilian but the way he turned over and it must have been then that he saw the commotion and he still had the smirk.

I can't see Lewandowski joining us although Dortmund would probably love to sell him to us than Bayern.
Talk of ronaldo coming picking up
Original post by member9876
Talk of ronaldo coming picking up

If you've got a spare £150m, then sure.
Original post by CB91
If you've got a spare £150m, then sure.

You say it as though he's at Liverpool lol
Original post by member9876
You say it as though he's at Liverpool lol

Real have no reason to sell and could charge as much as they wanted. Plus, Ronaldo has shown no sign at wanting to move apart from being a bit sad in about October but that was probably due to Mourinho isolating sections of the squad.
Tbh why do you guys even care about the loss, you're not going to beat the points record so there was really nothing to play for, the only thing you've done is help english clubs in the champions league next season by basically letting us win than having arsenal and tottenham there where they'll get spanked by the first team that has any capability of winning the competition.
Reply 3306
Original post by jam277
Tbh why do you guys even care about the loss, you're not going to beat the points record so there was really nothing to play for, the only thing you've done is help english clubs in the champions league next season by basically letting us win than having arsenal and tottenham there where they'll get spanked by the first team that has any capability of winning the competition.

tut tut, no need for that now is there.
Reply 3307
Original post by jam277

Surprisingly I don't like watching the team I support play sub par... Especially with such high expectations, fans want to see their team push on and dominate head to head against the other top teams in the PL.
Original post by IanDangerously
It's certainly not United's worst year in Europe. Finishing dead last in a very easy group in 2006 was worse. The FL record points setting, double winning team of 93/94 failing to even make it into the group stage was worse. Whimpering out of the tournament to Gothenburg the year after, also worse.

Ferguson's always been a bit tactically naive in Europe, even though we've won it twice and we should all be delighted about that, when you look at the squads United have had since 93 we should be up there with Milan, Real Madrid etc. United normally do the group stage fine, but then when it comes to knockout ties its very hit and miss. Fergie's domestic record is unbelievable and unmatchable by anybody, but in Europe he's often been found out big time.

Lol can't lie 06 and 11-12 were funny. Is it me or does fergie either do extremely well in the CL or poor? You think united would have a good chance of winning it and next second they're out in the group stages/round of 16 and their worst prem team since 05 got to the CL final(although I've never seen an easier run up to the final bar the chelsea QF match)
Original post by IanDangerously
Jesus Christ, we're the champions of England and wherever I look I'm seeing people calling out for big name signings, moaning that we lost, moaning about the referees ... at this point in the season WHO THE HELL CARES?!

Well, let's see. This season, we have seen a lot of disappointing performances. We've won the league and that's fantastic, but it shouldn't gloss over the consistent poor performances from the team as a whole.

People want signings, because there is clearly a need for a couple. Mainly in midfield.

Also, fans don't want to see Man United lose any game. Especially against the bigger teams. How many big games have we won this season? Not many.

I won't complain about the ref, because Rafael gave him no choice. If you kick someone off the ball, you're going to get a red card. There's no debate in it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yaboy
tut tut, no need for that now is there.

No offence, but tbh your last 3 seasons and tottenham's last season in the CL don't fill me with any hope you would make any impact lets be honest. You guys turn up when you're out of a tie and tottenham couldn't even score a goal vs real madrid home and away that was as bad as the barca-bayern matches.
Original post by JayReg
Surprisingly I don't like watching the team I support play sub par... Especially with such high expectations, fans want to see their team push on and dominate head to head against the other top teams in the PL.

Reminds me of 05-06 when chelsea lost their final 3 games, even though we could have got 100 points because they'd won the title already. I couldn't care less the season is over for a united fan. The season petered out pretty badly but blame that on city and chelsea not giving you guys a challenge.
Original post by NathanW18
Well, let's see. This season, we have seen a lot of disappointing performances. We've won the league and that's fantastic, but it shouldn't gloss over the consistent poor performances from the team as a whole.

People want signings, because there is clearly a need for a couple. Mainly in midfield.

Also, fans don't want to see Man United lose against any game. Especially against the bigger teams. How many big games have we won this season? Not many.

I won't complain about the ref, because Rafael gave him no choice. If you kick someone off the ball, you're going to get a red card. There's no debate in it.

What are you saying, you've beat chelsea and city away. You've beat arsenal at home and got a draw at the emirates, you beat everton at home, you beat liverpool home and away. Only thing you can be disappointed about would be the FA cup and the tottenham matches. Vs madrid that was down to external factors and a draw at the bernabeu is nothing to be sniffed at, they've beaten barca with a half strength team there e.g.

All you need is a CM and a winger...
Reply 3312
Original post by jam277
No offence, but tbh your last 3 seasons and tottenham's last season in the CL don't fill me with any hope you would make any impact lets be honest. You guys turn up when you're out of a tie and tottenham couldn't even score a goal vs real madrid home and away that was as bad as the barca-bayern matches.

Even though your probably right, I suspect we will perform better eventually and hopefully thats sometime in the next 30 years.
Original post by jam277

It's never nice to lose and I think what annoys some is that Chelsea weren't that great, so they see Chelsea as being there for the taking. But there's a difference between not liking to lose a game, and making knee jerk remarks about overhauling a squad that's just won the title with an impressive lead.

Just experience tells me to expect this sort of an end to the season, so I never expected to get a win when coming up against a team who "still have something to play for". I'm just pleased we got the away wins against Chelsea and City when those games mattered, and looking forward to next Sunday, revelling in a title win which, as has been mentioned, could be our final title.

Original post by pinda.college
Whoever thinks like that is not a fan, simple.

To be fair even for a "proper" fan it can be easy to begin to get complacent and expect success. Back in 2003, for example, I was delighted with the title win and very appreciative especially considering how poor we were defensively at times the previous season. I didn't perceive it as "just another title win" but at the same time I still feel that I didn't enjoy the moment as much as I could have done - looking toward next season and being quite confident of success with RvN on fire. Little did I know that we'd go into a transitional period, nor did I predict Arsenal's invinceables and "Chelski", thus going three seasons winning just one FA Cup and one League Cup.

This isn't in any way comparable to the 26 years mentioned, admittedly, but I think the general point about not getting too complacent or comfortable with success stands.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3314
Our inability to beat top teams highlights our weaknesses in the CL

Like this season we've flopped against the top 4 imagine what would happen if we played a team like barca let alone bayern Munich

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diggy

Like this season we've flopped against the top 4 imagine what would happen if we played a team like barca let alone bayern Munich

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest we could've beat Madrid and advanced to the CL semis had Nani not been sent off.
Original post by jam277
What are you saying, you've beat chelsea and city away. You've beat arsenal at home and got a draw at the emirates, you beat everton at home, you beat liverpool home and away. Only thing you can be disappointed about would be the FA cup and the tottenham matches. Vs madrid that was down to external factors and a draw at the bernabeu is nothing to be sniffed at, they've beaten barca with a half strength team there e.g.

All you need is a CM and a winger...

The results were better than I thought, overall. I forgot about some of those earlier season results. The performances were not good, though. We played well against Madrid in both legs. We did not play very well in the other games.

I guess I'm most unhappy with our performances against Chelsea. We rarely get decent results against them.

Yes, and that is mainly what people are asking for. There are some people saying that we should sign a forward. I don't really understand that, considering we already have 4/5, but Sir Alex loves signing them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3317
Original post by pinda.college
To be honest we could've beat Madrid and advanced to the CL semis had Nani not been sent off.

And then get demolished by Dortmund ofcourse. If im honest im surprised how far the attack has carried united, the united midfield is inferior to tottenham, arsenal chelsea and city's midfield.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by diggy

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you haven't flopped against the top 4 it's absolutely nonsensical to even suggest this. You beat an unbeaten chelsea(who at that point could have run away with the title like you did when you beat city with a win), you beat arsenal, you beat city away. You drew to arsenal at the emirates when you already won the title. Only disappointing matches was against tottenham and the FA cup. A draw at WHL is nothing to be ashamed about but obviously losing it at old trafford was disappointing.

Original post by River85
It's never nice to lose and I think what annoys some is that Chelsea weren't that great, so they see Chelsea as being there for the taking. But there's a difference between not liking to lose a game, and making knee jerk remarks about overhauling a squad that's just won the title with an impressive lead.

Just experience tells me to expect this sort of an end to the season, so I never expected to get a win when coming up against a team who "still have something to play for". I'm just pleased we got the away wins against Chelsea and City when those games mattered, and looking forward to next Sunday, revelling in a title win which, as has been mentioned, could be our final title.

To be fair even for a "proper" fan it can be easy to begin to get complacent and expect success. Back in 2003, for example, I was delighted with the title win and very appreciative especially considering how poor we were defensively at times the previous season. I didn't perceive it as "just another title win" but at the same time I still feel that I didn't enjoy the moment as much as I could have done - looking toward next season and being quite confident of success with RvN on fire. Little did I know that we'd go into a transitional period, nor did I predict Arsenal's invinceables and "Chelski", thus going three seasons winning just one FA Cup and one League Cup.

This isn't in any way comparable to the 26 years mentioned, admittedly, but I think the general point about not getting too complacent or comfortable with success stands.

But the thing is that the only problem with us was our lack of a final ball, besides that we clearly were better than you for the most part of the game, we got into many good positions and our lack of a final ball or reluctance to shoot let us down. While the same could be said for you(valencia being the main culprit) a 1-0 victory was deserved and we played better.
Original post by NathanW18
The results were better than I thought, overall. I forgot about some of those earlier season results. The performances were not good, though. We played well against Madrid in both legs. We did not play very well in the other games.

Yes, and that is mainly what people are asking for. There are some people saying that we should sign a forward. I don't really understand that, considering we already have 4/5, but Sir Alex loves signing them.

Hmm, well against chelsea you faced a squad in great form, managed to pretty much all but end a tie in 10 mins. While you got a stroke of fortune you did well to beat us that match considering how good we were playing the previous 2 months.

Against city I didn't watch the match but I hear you just scored against the run of play and city got nervous. While you bottled a 2 goal lead you still won an away match at the etihad(they hadn't lost there since 2010 iirc)

When you look at it that way, those two results were as impressive as any and clearly puts you in stead for the next season, showing you can beat the best of the best away from home is nothing to be underestimated about.

Original post by yaboy
And then get demolished by Dortmund ofcourse. If im honest im surprised how far the attack has carried united, the united midfield is inferior to tottenham, arsenal chelsea and city's midfield.

Well what do you expect. United have good defenders and good strikers... they have carrick and rooney for midfield but that's really it. Cleverley is decent but not amazing. I'd say they're above tottenham in midfield though.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest