The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sketch
Is this the (***) solution? If not, I don't have any knowledge of double integrals at A Level! :lol:

Pf! I'm trying to stay away from this thread because I need to work and you quote me back here! :tongue: Yes it is. A similar method, again with double integrals, is to make all the limits independent, so that the switch is more intuitive:

0arctanexarctanxxdx=01e11+t2x2dtdx=1e011+t2x2dxdt=1eπ2tdt=π2\displaystyle\begin{aligned}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\arctan ex-\arctan x}{x}\,dx &= \int_0^{\infty}\int_1^{e}\frac{ 1}{1+t^2x^2}\,dt \,dx \\ &=\int_1^{e}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1+t^2x^2}\,dx \, dt=\int_1^{e}\frac{\pi}{2t}\,dt=\frac{\pi}{2}\end{aligned}

Original post by Jkn
For ****s sake :lol: classic physicist :lol:

Actually, it's a very standard switch for double integrals, and what he has written is perfectly rigorous. And I'm sorry for picking on you again, but it looks like you are commenting something you don't know much about - the substitution is not r2=x2+y2r^2=x^2+y^2 at all.
Original post by Mladenov
As you want another proof for problem 128, try to prove the following result:

Problem 130*

n2n+1((2n)!!)2((2n1)!!)2(2n+1)<(0ex2dx)2<n2n1(2n3)!!)2(2n1)((2n2)!!)2π2\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \frac{n}{2n+1}\frac{((2n)!!)^{2}}{((2n-1)!!)^{2}(2n+1)} < \left(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^{2}}dx \right)^{2} < \frac{n}{2n-1}\frac{(2n-3)!!)^{2}(2n-1)}{((2n-2)!!)^{2}}\frac{\pi}{2} \end{aligned}.
Then note that ex2e^{-x^{2}} is even.

Well it's so obvious when you put it like that(!)
Reply 862
Original post by Lord of the Flies

Actually, it's a very standard switch for double integrals, and what he has written is perfectly rigorous. And I'm sorry for picking on you again, but it looks like you are commenting something you don't know much about - the substitution is not r2=x2+y2r^2=x^2+y^2 at all.

****s sake hahaha :lol:

Exactly, I have no idea what a double integral even is (asides from it meaning integrating something twice). But it would be nice for such a step to be justified in terms of regular integration :tongue: Looking back on my post, I suppose what I'm really doing is requesting a proof/derivation of this "double integration" technique :tongue:

Oh. What is it then?
Reply 863
As you want another proof for problem 128, try to prove the following result:

Problem 130*

n2n+1((2n)!!)2((2n1)!!)2(2n+1)<(0ex2dx)2<n2n1(2n3)!!)2(2n1)((2n2)!!)2π2\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \frac{n}{2n+1}\frac{((2n)!!)^{2}}{((2n-1)!!)^{2}(2n+1)} < \left(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^{2}}dx \right)^{2} < \frac{n}{2n-1}\frac{(2n-3)!!)^{2}(2n-1)}{((2n-2)!!)^{2}}\frac{\pi}{2} \end{aligned}.
Then note that ex2e^{-x^{2}} is even.

Hmm, looks suspiciously similar to the series I derived (it included double factorial notation). I'll give it a go :lol: (It doesn't require double integrals does it?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 864
Original post by Jkn
Hmm, looks suspiciously similar to the series I derived (it included double factorial notation). I'll give it a go :lol: (It doesn't require double integrals does it?)

It does not.
Original post by Jkn
****s sake hahaha :lol:

Exactly, I have no idea what a double integral even is (asides from it meaning integrating something twice). But it would be nice for such a step to be justified in terms of regular integration :tongue: Looking back on my post, I suppose what I'm really doing is requesting a proof/derivation of this "double integration" technique :tongue:

Oh. What is it then?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 866
It does not.

Hmm.. seems a bit of a beast. I've simplified the LHS in terms of the maclaurin's arctan expansion so I can pretty much prove it. But were you suggesting I start with the middle? (Or trap it between the multiples of π\pi? :tongue:)

Spoiler

Hmm, sounds interesting. I will add it to my post-STEP reading list :smile:

Well yes it has always been obvious that they cover it but the equivalence isn't! Anyway... I need to stop asking people to rigorously prove things they regard as assumed knowledge (I have a habit of doing that :lol:)
Reply 867
Original post by Jkn

Shall, I recommend you commence with ex2e^{-x^{2}}.
I am not sure which was more of an adventure - doing the problem, or typing the solution.

Solution 130

First we prove an intermediate result:

yn=0π/2cosntdtyn=(n1)0π/2sin2tcosn2tdt=(n1)yn2(n1)ynyn=n1nyn2{yn=(2k1)!!(2k)!!y0    (n=2k)yn=(2k)!!(2k+1)!!y1    (n=2k+1)(y0=π2    y1=1)\displaystyle \begin{aligned}y_n=\int_0^{\pi/2}\cos^nt\,dt\Rightarrow y_n&=(n-1)\int_0^{\pi/2}\sin^2 t\cos^{n-2}t\,dt\\[7pt]&=(n-1)y_{n-2}-(n-1)y_{n}\\[7pt]&\qquad\Rightarrow y_n=\frac{n-1}{n}y_{n-2}\\[7pt]&\qquad\Rightarrow\left\{ \begin{array}{l l} y_n=\dfrac{(2k-1)!!}{(2k)!!}\,y_0\;\;(n=2k)\\[10pt] y_n=\dfrac{(2k)!!}{(2k+1)!!}\,y_1\;\;(n=2k+1)\end{array}\right. \\[7pt]&\qquad\qquad\big(y_0=\dfrac{\pi}{2}\,\;\;y_1=1\big)\end{aligned}

\bullet Lower bound:

x0:  ex>x+1enx2>(1x2)nx\neq 0:\; e^x>x+1\Rightarrow e^{-nx^2}>(1-x^2)^n. Integrate and set x=sint:x=\sin t:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\begin{aligned} \int_0^{1}e^{-nx^2}dx>\int_0^1 (1-x^2)^n\,dx\Rightarrow \int_0^{1}e^{-nx^2}dx>\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2n+1} t\,dt=\frac{(2n)!!}{(2n+1)!!}

Observe that 01enx2dx<0enx2dx=1n0ex2dx\displaystyle \int_0^1 e^{-nx^2}dx<\int_0^{\infty} e^{-nx^2}\,dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx and hence:

n((2n)!!(2n+1)!!)2<(0ex2dx)2\displaystyle n\left(\frac{(2n)!!}{(2n+1)!!} \right)^2<\left(\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx\right)^2

\bullet Upper bound:

Similarly, ex>x+1enx2<(x2+1)ne^{x}>x+1\Rightarrow e^{-nx^2}<(x^2+1)^{-n}. This time set x=tantx=\tan t and integrate directly over the interval of interest:

\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \int_0^{\infty}e^{-nx^2}dx<\int_0^{\infty} (x^2+1)^{-n}\,dx\Rightarrow \int_0^{\infty}e^{-nx^2}dx<\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2n-2} t\,dt=\frac{(2n-3)!!}{(2n-2)!!}\frac{\pi}{2}

As above, this yields:

(0ex2dx)2<n((2n3)!!(2n2)!!π2)2\displaystyle \left(\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx\right)^2< n\left(\frac{(2n-3)!!}{(2n-2)!!}\frac{\pi}{2} \right)^2

Now it is well-known that 21234345=limn12n+1((2n)!!(2n1)!!)2=π2\displaystyle \dfrac{2}{1}\cdot \dfrac{2}{3}\cdot \dfrac{4}{3}\cdot \dfrac{4}{5}\cdots = \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{2n+1} \left(\frac{(2n)!!}{(2n-1)!!} \right)^2=\frac{\pi}{2} hence:

\displaystyle\begin{aligned} \frac{n}{2n+1}\left[\frac{1}{2n+1} \left(\frac{(2n)!!}{(2n-1)!!} \right)^2\right]<\left(\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx\right)^2<\frac{\pi^2}{4}\cdot\frac{n}{2n-1}\left[\frac{1}{2n-1} \left(\frac{(2n-2)!!}{(2n-3)!!} \right)^2\right]^{-1}

\displaystyle\begin{aligned} \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)\leq\left(\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx\right)^2\leq\frac{\pi^2}{4}\cdot\frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{2}{\pi}\right)\Rightarrow \left(\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx\right)^2=\frac{\pi}{4}

Thus ex2dx=π\displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx=\sqrt{\pi}

Mladenov I think there is a typo in your question, the π2\frac{\pi}{2} should be included in the square as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 869
Solution 130

Well done. :biggrin:

Mladenov I think there is a typo in your question, the π2\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} should be included in the square as well.

Yes, it is a typo, I apologise.
Original post by bananarama2
Solution 129

ddx1k0xf(x)sinh(k(xx))dx \frac{d}{dx} \frac{1}{k} \int_0^{x} f(x')\sinh (k(x-x')) dx'

=1kf(x)sinh(k(xx))f(0)1ksinh(kx)×0+1k0xkf(x)cosh(k(xx))dx= \frac{1}{k} f(x) \sinh (k(x-x)) - f(0) \frac{1}{k}\sinh(kx) \times 0 + \frac{1}{k} \int_0^x k f(x') \cosh (k(x-x')) dx'

=0xf(x)cosh(k(xx))dx= \int_0^x f(x') \cosh (k(x-x')) dx'

ddx0xf(x)cosh(k(xx))dx \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x f(x') \cosh (k(x-x')) dx'

= f(x)\cosh (k(x-x)) - 0 + \int_0^x kf(x')\shin (k(x-x')) dx'

=y1 = y_1''

SO

y1k2y y_1'' - k^2y

= f(x)\cosh (k(x-x)) + \int_0^x kf(x')\shin (k(x-x')) dx' - \int_0^x kf(x')\shin (k(x-x')) dx'

=f(x) = f(x)

hmmmm not sure about your multiplication by zero in the second line though you appear to get the correct answer so I'll give you that.

For the more general case

PROBLEM <some number>**

Find the most general solution to the linear second order differential equation:

y''+ay'+by=f(x)

(there is absolutely no need to apply the wronskian btw so don't if you can help it)

Spoiler

Seeing as you appear from an earlier post to have done multiple integrals, there is a far simpler way to approach this problem :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by und
Problem 1*

Prove that if the function f\displaystyle f is continuous on [a,b]\displaystyle [a,b] and abf(x)g(x)dx=0\displaystyle \int^b_af(x)g(x) dx = 0 for any continuous function g\displaystyle g, then f=0\displaystyle f=0 on [a,b]\displaystyle [a,b].

You can't use integration over a non-continuous function anyway though. Although you could do it with the chain rule to show you can integrate part of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 873
Original post by k9markiii
You can't use integration over a non-continuous function anyway though. Although you could do it with the chain rule to show you can integrate part of it.

I do not know what you are trying to say, but not all integrable functions are continuous. For example, you can take any bounded function such that the set of its discontinuities has measure zero.

Edit: For the sake of completeness, I would like to add that we can use Chebotarev's density theorem to show that there are many primes qq which satisfy the condition. In other words, we look for those primes qq for which the degree of the splitting field of PP over FqF_{q} is pp.
What do you think about the case when deg(P)=pα\deg (P) = p^{\alpha}, where α>1\alpha > 1.

In fact, infinitely many. If you play with Chebotarev's theorem for a while, then you will discover that such an irreducible PZ[X]P \in \mathbb{Z}[X], which has a root in Z/qZ\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z} for all but finitely many primes qq, must have degree 11. An even more striking fact is that for every PZ[X]P \in \mathbb{Z}[X], with deg(P)1\deg(P) \geq 1, there is a certain number mm, determined by the coefficients of the irreducible factors of PP, such that PP has a root in Z/nZ\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} for all nNn \in \mathbb{N} if, and only if, it has a root in Z/mZ\mathbb{Z}/m\mathbb{Z} (with one more condition).

You don't need the prime degree assumption. A monic PZ[X]P \in \mathbb{Z}[X], with deg(P)>1\deg(P) > 1, whose reduction in Z/pZ[X]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[X] has a root for all primes pp must be reducible over Z\mathbb{Z}. This can be proved by playing with the Galois group and only a weaker form of Frobenius' density theorem.

A good example to keep in mind, though, is x4+1x^4 + 1. This is irreducible over Z\mathbb{Z}, but reducible in Z/pZ\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z} for all primes pp. The condition for having a root is stronger: the congruence x41 (p)x^4 \equiv -1\ (p) has no solutions for primes p3 (4)p \equiv 3\ (4).
...and the lecturer is French!....

Makes me think of this :colone:

Original post by natninja
hmmmm not sure about your multiplication by zero in the second line though you appear to get the correct answer so I'll give you that.

For the more general case

PROBLEM <some number>**

Find the most general solution to the linear second order differential equation:

y''+ay'+by=f(x)

(there is absolutely no need to apply the wronskian btw so don't if you can help it)

Can I check the answer first? I get

y=eβx(eαxβxf(x)eαxdx)dx y=e^{\beta x} \int \left(e^{\alpha x - \beta x } \int f(x) e^{-\alpha x} dx \right)dx

α=a+a24b2β=aa24b2 \alpha = \frac{-a+\sqrt{a^2-4b}}{2} \qquad \beta= \frac{-a-\sqrt{a^2-4b}}{2}
Original post by bananarama2
Can I check the answer first? I get

y=eβx(eαxβxf(x)eαxdx)dx y=e^{\beta x} \int \left(e^{\alpha x - \beta x } \int f(x) e^{-\alpha x} dx \right)dx

α=a+a24b2β=aa24b2 \alpha = \frac{-a+\sqrt{a^2-4b}}{2} \qquad \beta= \frac{-a-\sqrt{a^2-4b}}{2}

the answer looks a fair bit nicer than that... but your alpha and beta are correct, your answer should be a sum of roots and you shouldn't have integrals with respect to x but with respect to a dummy variable, they should also be definite integrals
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by natninja
Seeing as you appear from an earlier post to have done multiple integrals, there is a far simpler way to approach this problem :smile:

That is a solution to problem 130 :wink:

(would you mind spoilering that quote, so that it takes up less space on the page?)

Original post by k9markiii

Yes you can.

Original post by ukdragon37
Makes me think of this :colone:

:lol:

I like this one too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 879
Original post by jack.hadamard
An even more striking fact is that for every PZ[X]P \in \mathbb{Z}[X], with deg(P)1\deg(P) \geq 1, there is a certain number mm, determined by the coefficients of the irreducible factors of PP, such that PP has a root in Z/nZ\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} for all nNn \in \mathbb{N} if, and only if, it has a root in Z/mZ\mathbb{Z}/m\mathbb{Z} (with one more condition).

Something more on this would be highly appreciated.

You don't need the prime degree assumption. A monic PZ[X]P \in \mathbb{Z}[X], with deg(P)>1\deg(P) > 1, whose reduction in Z/pZ[X]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[X] has a root for all primes pp must be reducible over Z\mathbb{Z}. This can be proved by playing with the Galois group and only a weaker form of Frobenius' density theorem.

Some difficulties arise here; but it is indeed splendid result.:tongue:

In fact, infinitely many. If you play with Chebotarev's theorem for a while, then you will discover that such an irreducible PZ[X]P \in \mathbb{Z}[X], which has a root in Z/qZ\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z} for all but finitely many primes qq, must have degree 11.

Here is what I think.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest