The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
This is driving me insane :angry:. why do some of the hexaaqua ions have two colours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 501
Original post by laurawoods
What's going on in pg 64? :smile:

It explains why the hexaaminecobalt(III) ion, despite being yellow in colour, appears to darken a straw solution of hexaaminecobalt(II) upon oxidation.
Original post by erniiee
It explains why the hexaaminecobalt(III) ion, despite being yellow in colour, appears to darken a straw solution of hexaaminecobalt(II) upon oxidation.

Hmm that's what I was talking about?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chewy29
This is driving me insane :angry:. why do some of the hexaaqua ions have two colours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

EXAMPLE?
Original post by Hart1995
Do we need to know all the definitions within thermodynamics? There seems to be a lot :/ WAAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not hard to learn those definitions, just think in your head an eqaution which corresponds to that def...this will make it much easier.
I know this is going to sound pretty bad but how are people learning colour changes for metal aqua ions? Struggling to remember them obh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello , my rules have no fault!

But this question doesn't work because you cannot have two oxidations! It has to be one oxidation and one reduction happening simultaneously, hence the term redox.

Check the question again, is my suggestion. :smile:

And, I don't understand by what you are saying in red.

:rolleyes: Sorry, I copied the question out incorrectly!

Is this correct? (Edit - My handwriting is really small, tried to write as big and clearly as possible :colondollar:)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 507
Original post by F_shakeey
I know this is going to sound pretty bad but how are people learning colour changes for metal aqua ions? Struggling to remember them obh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had to just write them out over and over again and make flip cards with them on, repetition was the only way I could get them to sink in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am literally listing every single colour and its relevant metal aqua ion thingy and constantly repeating them, you notice there is a pattern amongst the M2+ and M3+ aqua ions.
Original post by JenniS
I've had to just write them out over and over again and make flip cards with them on, repetition was the only way I could get them to sink in!

Original post by I have a question
I am literally listing every single colour and its relevant metal aqua ion thingy and constantly repeating them, you notice there is a pattern amongst the M2+ and M3+ aqua ions.

I see, thanks guys I think you're right. The best way is just writing them down so they stick in your head. I'll be doing that today :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:rolleyes: Sorry, I copied the question out incorrectly!

Is this correct? (Edit - My handwriting is really small, tried to write as big and clearly as possible :colondollar:)

Spoiler

oxidation numbers look ok but where are the protons and electrons?
Reply 511
I was hating on the redox equilibria section of the NT book..but it isn't actually so bad!
oxidation numbers look ok but where are the protons and electrons?

Right hand side of the page, I've added the electrons, I don't think I need to add any protons.

Bottom of the page (in green), I've merged the equations for iodine and the sulphur containing compound.
Right hand side of the page, I've added the electrons, I don't think I need to add any protons.

Bottom of the page (in green), I've merged the equations for iodine and the sulphur containing compound.

You need to look through my step by step rules once more....The iodine one looks ok but have a look at the other one again!
(edited 10 years ago)
You need to look through my step by step rules once more....

:emo:

Spoiler

The mark scheme says I'm correct, but okay I'll go through the rules again. Thanks laurawoods.
I see, thanks guys I think you're right. The best way is just writing them down so they stick in your head. I'll be doing that today :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, did your class do experiments with the transition metal ion complexes? If your class did those expts , then it genuinely would be so easy to think back to what colour things were and what happened when different ligands etc were added! For example: hexaaqua for cobalt is that neat pink colour and for copper it is that beautiful blue colour etc... Just trying to remember or learn parrot fashion doesn't help. But if you think back to the experiments and what the different test tube reactions looked like, then hey presto suddenly it becomes very easy and yeah neat! Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 516
It feels sooooo good to have unit5 revision out of the way wohoooo just past paper practise now
Reply 517
I have my empa tomorrow, its such a blag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 518
Original post by Chewy29
I have my empa tomorrow, its such a blag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same, not too sure what to prepare for the practical part of the paper. All I've done is learnt all the basic chemical tests for what will probably be task 2. Not too sure what else I can prepare for tomorrow?
Reply 519
Original post by wittyguy
Yeah same, not too sure what to prepare for the practical part of the paper. All I've done is learnt all the basic chemical tests for what will probably be task 2. Not too sure what else I can prepare for tomorrow?

I've done the practical, only have my written left to do but I dont know what to revise except for the few blatantly obvious topics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending