The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by craglyboy
I think it's fair to say that in Europe fergie has made a lot of mistakes and something he resents himself. I think since phelan has become assistant we haven't combated European and Spanish styles particularly well, querioz was a great tactician and whilst I didn't necessarily enjoy the way we played under his tenure we were very effective in Europe IMO

I think it's clear to see that united aren't caring at the moment and I can't imagine fergie is letting that become acceptable even in his old age and calmed down. I just feel sorry for people who went to the match today, I have no problem losing to a better team and Chelsea deserved a result today but to play with no real care about the result is irritating especially to the fans who,have made the effort.

Yeah we definitely miss Quieroz. I didn't really realise how much he contributed tactically until I realised how negatively we played at times in the seasons afterwards, the season after he left we antifootballed to the title with all those 1-0s. We played much better football in the Quieroz years at times. Fergie's reaction (or rather lack of public reaction) after the Real Madrid game was very telling, I think he knows his last great chance at the European Cup has slipped away.

It's certainly irritating for the fans but I don't think Fergie really takes that into account. In one respect he has always been very good with the fans but at the end of the day its him that fields these weakened lineups to begin with - especially in the cups where ST holders are forced to pay full price to see the likes of Macheda and Bebe. That's even more frustrating imo than what's happening at the moment.

Yeah that Januzaj looks quite handy, Morrison I didn't have a problem with him leaving no player is bigger than the club and I don't believe he would of bought into that mentality, but losing pogba and fryers was extremely disappointing, pogba deserved better treatment and is flourishing in a juve side where the central midfield is very well catered for. Fryers I think ended up in Belgium so spurs can get around the compensation scheme which is pretty disgusting.

I was upset when Morrison went to an extent because he was one of the best youth players I'd seen. However he also went AWOL from training and got himself suspended. He stole from other players on a couple of occasions as well although I don't know if he was caught or if that was a reason for his departure. I know he was never offered a new contract though. I'm glad Pogba is doing well, he was a beast of a player in the reserves. T

The Fryers situation is a little strange, he basically disappeared off the radar and never gave the club a straight answer about his contract. Showed no respect to United on the way out at all. I don't know if it was Spurs's idea for him to go to Belgium or not to get around the compensation or if it just happened that way? I forgot he was at Spurs until you mentioned it actually ... that's how much he's done for them since he went there. So much for wanting a move away from United so he could get more first team action!!
Original post by IanDangerously
I think this is exactly how Ferguson will see it as well. The giant hole in central midfield that has dominated discussion for the past two summers (remember the Sneijder saga etc) may actually be solved now, but we can't be sure until the end of next season. Tom (Cleverley) and Shinji have the potential to become the most creative midfielders in the Premier League. Phil Jones has looked solid when he's played there, Rooney is a natural fit for the role as he matures into the second half of his career (a la Paul Scholes). I think we'll give it a year, see what we really have in what we've got now, and then judge whether it needs any adjusting.
shot.

Cleverley is nearly 24, and is pretty average tbh
Shirt number:

Strip Valencia off 7, he's not even worth it. Give it back to C.Ronaldo. Sell Valencia to whoever, idk, he's so poor now.

Strip Rooney off 10, give it to RVP. Sell Rooney to PSG.

Give Kagawa number 13. Just like Park Ji Sung had, the Asian number. Should also boost shirt sales.
I still don't get how fergie managed to do the 'english barcelona' thing back in the 90's. Bayern are doing a similar thing at the moment, maybe this decade is bayerns, last decade was barca, decade before was united in this respect.
Original post by UnknownGuy
Shirt number:

Strip Valencia off 7, he's not even worth it. Give it back to C.Ronaldo. Sell Valencia to whoever, idk, he's so poor now.

Strip Rooney off 10, give it to RVP. Sell Rooney to PSG.

Give Kagawa number 13. Just like Park Ji Sung had, the Asian number. Should also boost shirt sales.

Agree with first.
Don't agree with second unless you think kagawa>rooney
number 13 is what I like to be the sub keeper number or 25(yes I got this from spanish football)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3344
With Fergie saying a big signing could be made but not necessarily midfield it could mean Bale, Falcao or the mighty Ronaldo coming in this summer, if Bale wants to leave how likely is it he'll want to come here and Spurs will want to rather sell him to us. Ronaldo is the perfect signing but the fee will be huge unless he forces a move, Falcao will cost the least most probably (not by much) and is some player, him coming to a top team like us could make him and us even better, potential Ballon D'or winner for us but doesn't make much sense in the fact we have RVP already. Cannot see any other big name signings away from midfield.
http://a.yfrog.com/img849/1896/wunanrtfghtshpdrsmzhut.mp4

Finally found the Ramires incident. Kicking out at Jones, twice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
http://a.yfrog.com/img849/1896/wunanrtfghtshpdrsmzhut.mp4

Finally found the Ramires incident. Kicking out at Jones, twice.

Yeah I noticed that as well. He was lucky to away with that, I know jones was a proffessional foul, but still there isn't any reason to kick out like that bet Ramirez has done that to people plenty of times to break up play.
Reply 3347
Original post by jam277
So, one person says they don't like carrick, means he's not good...
Ok then. Carrick has been quality, can you tell me a bit in his game that is clearly lacking for his position that makes him so overrated?

Think he weak defensively and his passing is overrated for me he isn't exactly paul scholes in his prime. There is a reason the guy doesn't have that many caps for england so I cant be the only one who doesn't rate him, hes decent but still think hes not good enough for united.
Yeah I noticed that as well. He was lucky to away with that, I know jones was a proffessional foul, but still there isn't any reason to kick out like that bet Ramirez has done that to people plenty of times to break up play.

Should have forced someone to run around waving an imaginary card like Oscar, maybe he would have got booked then.
Original post by yaboy
Think he weak defensively and his passing is overrated for me he isn't exactly paul scholes in his prime. There is a reason the guy doesn't have that many caps for england so I cant be the only one who doesn't rate him, hes decent but still think hes not good enough for united.

Un****ing believable, Since Carrick has played for Man Utd, we have only lost the premier league on 2 occassions. Once on goal difference and once by a single point.
Reply 3350
Original post by mdajoka
Un****ing believable, Since Carrick has played for Man Utd, we have only lost the premier league on 2 occassions. Once on goal difference and once by a single point.

So???

steven gerrard has never won the premiere league does that make carrick better than him?

Just because you play for a good team does not make you a good player does it...
I actually rate Carrick alot, but it is interesting that he's never really been picked for England. Granted he's been up against some world class players like Gerrard/Lampard but when others like Barry/Parker/Hargreaves have been given the nod over him, its confusing.

England for the WC should set up with Carrick, Wilshere and Gerrard imo. :coma:
Original post by diggy

Our inability to beat top teams highlights our weaknesses in the CL

Like this season we've flopped against the top 4 imagine what would happen if we played a team like barca let alone bayern Munich

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by yaboy

You're an Arsenal fan, you probably think Arteta is the new Scholes :mmm:
Original post by Zürich
I actually rate Carrick alot, but it is interesting that he's never really been picked for England. Granted he's been up against some world class players like Gerrard/Lampard but when others like Barry/Parker/Hargreaves have been given the nod over him, its confusing.

England for the WC should set up with Carrick, Wilshere and Gerrard imo. :coma:

Tbf even Scholes got shifted out of position for Lampard and Gerrard.
Reply 3355
Original post by manchesterunited15
You're an Arsenal fan, you probably think Arteta is the new Scholes :mmm:

No Arteta belongs in the championship...

scholes has probably been englands only world class player from 2000. His passing ability is up there with the likes of xavi and pirlo. I dont think gerrard is as good and lampard certainly isn't from a technical point of view
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by manchesterunited15
Tbf even Scholes got shifted out of position for Lampard and Gerrard.

but for Barry to have twice as many England caps at roughly the same age? :confused: even scott parker is nearly ahead
Original post by yaboy
So???

steven gerrard has never won the premiere league does that make carrick better than him?

Just because you play for a good team does not make you a good player does it...

So the views of players like Xavi and Alonso praising him counts only because he plays for Man Utd? What about managers like Sir Alex continuously praising him or Wenger saying his inclusion in the PFA player of the year award being completely justified, these are all deluded morons are they? Or maybe, just maybe they understand the game much better than you and realize how pivotal Carrick is to the United set up.
What I was thinking was sell: Rooney, v persie, young, Valencia, anderson
Buy: ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, reus, tiote, ozil
Reply 3359
Original post by mdajoka
So the views of players like Xavi and Alonso praising him counts only because he plays for Man Utd? What about managers like Sir Alex continuously praising him or Wenger saying his inclusion in the PFA player of the year award being completely justified, these are all deluded morons are they? Or maybe, just maybe they understand the game much better than you and realize how pivotal Carrick is to the United set up.

ferguson will praise any of his players because he is their manager...

inesta also said Victor wanyama was the toughest player hes ever played against.

Wenger probably did that because he never wanted to vote for RVP, I never said he was a bad player I just dont rate him and think there are far better players in his position. Showing me comments of praise from other players that praise literally every player they come up against it is little pointless dont you think, the same players that described alex song as a prodigy.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest