The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Allybongo
really struggling to find points for "To what extent do ethnic minorities influence the outcome of elections in the USA" any help appreciated

I wrote a whole plan for that on either the page before or before that.

Anyway, we have to realise that the DME was written 2 years ago. I'm sensing something to do with the referendum to be honest.
Original post by HannahRH_
against it you could say that the list of alcohols on the the list for the minimum price it is something like 24 out of the 36 are already above the minimum pricing? (you'd need to check that figure though)

anybody got that statistic? thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 582
Does anybody have an essay plan regarding the impact of devolution on decision making in Scotland? Finding it slightly difficult to structure an essay on this.. All help would be much appreciated, Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by lala4
Does anybody have an essay plan regarding the impact of devolution on decision making in Scotland? Finding it slightly difficult to structure an essay on this.. All help would be much appreciated, Thanks! :biggrin:

Theres obviously the reserved and devolved powers

and then the arguement for would be like introduction of AMS which is more proportionate, the public being able to take part in parliamentary process through submitting petitions and then against would be like, Funding from Westminster, Legislative consent motions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ladymarshmallow
If anyone's interested I have some statistics for gender inequality (taken from an article, "Break that Glass", in the FT):

7/10 working-age women in the UK are in jobs, which is above the OECD avg, yet this figure has increased little since 2000
The proportion of females in full-time jobs is one of the lowest amongst developed economies
The cost of childcare in UK = highest in Europe, bar Switzerland + Ireland, inflexible work arrangements

Govt action to reduce burden on working mothers = fams with young children could receive a tax break of up to £2,000 to contribute to cost of childcare. Thus easier to share parental leave as mothers will be able to allocate their time off to fathers just 2 wks after child born.

2013 study revealed that women comprise only 19% of senior management roles, down from 23% 2 yrs ago
Female boardroom membership is at 13%, which is above the OECD avg yet below France and the Scandinavian countries

Possible solution = quotas
For example, the UK govt aims to have 25% of seats of FTSE 100 company boards filled by women, however its potential effectiveness is weakened because it's a voluntary scheme and many companies only tend to select women for non-exec roles.

Apart from that and unrelated to the article, could we mention how the Scottish Parliament provides a crèche and has manageable working hours for women? It's just something which I remember from my SG days.
Finally, if I were writing about collectivism vs individualism could I mention the debate over whether the NHS ought to treat illnesses that are the result of lifestyle choices?

Thank you very much! I must apologise, however, as a gave you a red by accident instead of a green!
Original post by lala4

1st paragraph I talked about The SPs use of devolved powers, 2nd paragraph I talked about reserved powers and 3rd paragraph I talked about AMS, 4th paragraph accessibility of SP. If you want info on any of the paragraphs let me know :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Does any one have any stats on the success of government attempts to reduce health inequalities?
Reply 587
Original post by KeeKeeDee
1st paragraph I talked about The SPs use of devolved powers, 2nd paragraph I talked about reserved powers and 3rd paragraph I talked about AMS, 4th paragraph accessibility of SP. If you want info on any of the paragraphs let me know :smile:

Ok thanks thats helpful. Could you if this isn't too much of an ask... type up an essay plan with what to include in each paragraph and pm it to me? It would be so much help:smile:?
Original post by JessicaLee123
what else could you say in improvement in health inequalites? Sorry to bother you.

You could mention minimum alcohol pricing and their efforts to fulfil the 2020 vision, I used those
Reply 589
Original post by Confused!
I wrote a whole plan for that on either the page before or before that.

Anyway, we have to realise that the DME was written 2 years ago. I'm sensing something to do with the referendum to be honest.

found it! cheers for that
Reply 590
Any predictions for Politics of Development in Africa?

My teachers predictions were: trade rather than aid or aid from NGOs.
Original post by fjords
Any predictions for Politics of Development in Africa?

My teachers predictions were: trade rather than aid or aid from NGOs.

From what I can gather here and from my teacher, it seems that NGOs and the UN are favoured to make an appearance.
Original post by shinyroof43
Does any one have any stats on the success of government attempts to reduce health inequalities?

I can't think of much at the moment, but you could mention Jamie Oliver's healthy school meals campaign, yet its impact was limited as statistics show that nearly 5 million school children still avoid school lunches in England.
Original post by lala4
Ok thanks thats helpful. Could you if this isn't too much of an ask... type up an essay plan with what to include in each paragraph and pm it to me? It would be so much help:smile:?

Should be sent!
Reply 594
How would you do a UNO essay?
Original post by 2013exams
How would you do a UNO essay?

I would firstly write a brief introductory sentence about how the UN aims to bolster development in Africa through its agencies. Then, I would write about 3-4 case studies, i.e. food vouchers in Burkina Faso, and how it helps to promote development and self-sufficiency, bla bla bla. In addition, I'd relate each example to the MDGs and how the UN hopes to meet them. I'd also probably discuss the limited success of the MDGs. For example, their goal was to halve world poverty by 2015, yet this is clearly not the case and then quote some statistics.
That's just an idea, and it probably appears quite ramshackle, but I'm not sure how else I'd structure it.
Original post by KeeKeeDee
Should be sent!

How would you explain the AMS part influencing decision making. Just making coalitions as such? Dont know how to word the AMS into the essay :P

Also Could i say for that devolution has improved decision making in Scotland because public can now participate in parliamentary process through petitions through the public petitions committee :P? would that be alright? Sorry.

Original post by JessicaLee123
How would you explain the AMS part influencing decision making. Just making coalitions as such? Dont know how to word the AMS into the essay :P

Also Could i say for that devolution has improved decision making in Scotland because public can now participate in parliamentary process through petitions through the public petitions committee :P? would that be alright? Sorry.

Sent you my plan too, tell me if you are unsure about anything, I'll try my best to answer!
Reply 598
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I would firstly write a brief introductory sentence about how the UN aims to bolster development in Africa through its agencies. Then, I would write about 3-4 case studies, i.e. food vouchers in Burkina Faso, and how it helps to promote development and self-sufficiency, bla bla bla. In addition, I'd relate each example to the MDGs and how the UN hopes to meet them. I'd also probably discuss the limited success of the MDGs. For example, their goal was to halve world poverty by 2015, yet this is clearly not the case and then quote some statistics.
That's just an idea, and it probably appears quite ramshackle, but I'm not sure how else I'd structure it.

Thanks
Reply 599
What do people think is more likely to crop up NGOs or UNOs???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending