The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Anybody else really worried for this exam... my revision methods are not great i dont think, any tips?

So far i am making/gathering essay plans for each topic/issue i am revising and then making mind maps that have all the relevant info and exemplification relating to that particular essay.
I have also dedicated a day since yesterday to each study theme so today it is 1A, tomorrow 2 ant then 3C on Wednesday and doing practice for the DME each day for an hour or two.
Original post by lala4
Anybody else really worried for this exam... my revision methods are not great i dont think, any tips?

So far i am making/gathering essay plans for each topic/issue i am revising and then making mind maps that have all the relevant info and exemplification relating to that particular essay.
I have also dedicated a day since yesterday to each study theme so today it is 1A, tomorrow 2 ant then 3C on Wednesday and doing practice for the DME each day for an hour or two.

is it bad not to do practise DMEs? I probably should but im more worried about the essays :s-smilie:
Reply 602
Original post by JessicaLee123
is it bad not to do practise DMEs? I probably should but im more worried about the essays :s-smilie:

It is not bad no, i am just going over BK and might do a practice one later today. I am worried about the essays also... i just have this fear that everything i have missed out on revising such as VB is going to come up or a question which i dont know much about aha, knowing the SQA this is probably going to happen to me:cry2:

If you understand the structure and have a bit of background knowledge, you should get a high enough mark provided it is detailed enough!

So if that is the case then focus on essays. My teacher said if I could get 10 out of 10 for the questions, 12 out of 20 for the report, and 10 out of 15 in all my essays I have an A! So if you can get the essays up to scratch you are looking good for a decent grade (A or B)!
Original post by lala4
It is not bad no, i am just going over BK and might do a practice one later today. I am worried about the essays also... i just have this fear that everything i have missed out on revising such as VB is going to come up or a question which i dont know much about aha, knowing the SQA this is probably going to happen to me:cry2:

It would be some sort of twisted, cruel joke if the SQA gave us a Q on voting behaviour as opposed to voting systems. The former come up in the past 2 years and I can't see how the Q can be anything other voting systems, unless the SQA were feeling particularly sadistic.
Original post by lala4

haha! same here man XD im worried about just revising for voting systems and than VB will come up. omg........ i still think im going to take the chance though. so many predictions for voting systems i just cant see voting behaviours coming up 3 times in a row!.
Original post by KeeKeeDee
If you understand the structure and have a bit of background knowledge, you should get a high enough mark provided it is detailed enough!

So if that is the case then focus on essays. My teacher said if I could get 10 out of 10 for the questions, 12 out of 20 for the report, and 10 out of 15 in all my essays I have an A! So if you can get the essays up to scratch you are looking good for a decent grade (A or B)!

Yeah im just hoping its on a subject i know enough for BK! alcohol wouldnt be too shabby :P i could cope with that. How long do you get for the DME? and how are you suppose to split it again between the report and questions? 10 mins for the 10 questions right did somebody say?
Just realised I know nothing about government policies to reduce inequality in the USA. :s-smilie:
Reply 608
Original post by ladymarshmallow
It would be some sort of twisted, cruel joke if the SQA gave us a Q on voting behaviour as opposed to voting systems. The former come up in the past 2 years and I can't see how the Q can be anything other voting systems, unless the SQA were feeling particularly sadistic.

Exactly my point. Nah im sure they wouldn't do that to us haha! Although we never know do we. My dream paper would be:
1D- VB and the medias influence
1A- MSPs role in decision making
3C- Powers of the president
Health and Wealth- Impact of poverty on health

DME- Minimum alcohol pricing
Yeah im just hoping its on a subject i know enough for BK! alcohol wouldnt be too shabby :P i could cope with that. How long do you get for the DME? and how are you suppose to split it again between the report and questions? 10 mins for the 10 questions right did somebody say?

You get an hour and 15 minutes, if you spend 15 minutes on the questions then you may have enough time for 3 arguments and 2 rebuttals, which would certainly get you at least 12/20, probably more though.
thanks guys! god im starting to worry about the exam now lol!
Reply 611
I am currently writing out an essay on impact of income on health and have split my paragraphs into income, lifestyle, ethnicity and geography but say that they all connect to income. Would the topic of housing come under income or geography. Also my minds mashed, and I'm worried the essay I'm writing out is **** so if anybody has any spare plans for it.... :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 612
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Just realised I know nothing about government policies to reduce inequality in the USA. :s-smilie:

I realised that last night, we hadn't went over anything in my class at all.

I just searched around online to find information on things like DREAM Act, TANF, Obama's healthcare reforms and Affirmative Action. My notes on them aren't that great though, so i'm hoping the question doesn't focus on government responses!
Reply 613
Original post by Scrabble96
My teacher's predictions:

UK: impact of poverty on health
Individualism vs gov.
He doesn't think a gender or race question will come up.

South Africa: Social inequalities

Scotland: Role of MSPs, impact on decision making and scrutinising gov
Devolved and reserved- compromise/conflict

Politics of Development: NGOS or UN and Health and Education

Any thoughts?

How would the question on SA be worded??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 614
What are the chances of A4 being on voting behaviour rather than voting system? I'm not really studying for voting behaviour cause the pattern seems like 2 years voting behaviour 1 year voting system.
Reply 615
How would a question on social and economic inequalities in the USA be worded??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regarding millennium development goals, do you mention them in a UNO essay or NGO essay or both ??
Reply 617
This is a really helpful link on decision making if you look through it you get House of Lords influence, the media, pressure groups etc and a lot of analysis and examples:
http://thegordonschools.typepad.co.uk/tgsmodstuds/2012/03/higher-study-theme-1b-decision-making-in-central-government.html
How many sides of A4 should the report be?
How many arguments should you for and against the proposal?
Reply 619
Original post by Scrabble96
How many sides of A4 should the report be?
How many arguments should you for and against the proposal?

I normally cover four sides of paper and do three for and three against (the against including the rebuttal) but i write quite small?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending