The Student Room Group

UCL or Sheffield for Mechanical Engineering MEng

Hi. I got conditional offers from both UCL and Sheffield for mechanical engineering. Having trouble deciding which to go to. Anyone has any suggestions? Also does anyone know why is UCL ranked so low for mechanical engineering? Thank you!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by A24
Hi. I got conditional offers from both UCL and Sheffield for mechanical engineering. Having trouble deciding which to go to. Anyone has any suggestions? Also does anyone know why is UCL ranked so low for mechanical engineering? Thank you!! :smile:

Hey I'm also in a similar kind of situation, so maybe I can give you some feedback. In currently holding offers from UCL and Southampton for mechanical engineering, Southampton a bit like Sheffield is really gd for mechanical engineering and is highly ranked. This means that the facilities, lecturers ect will obviously be gd. On the other hand there's UCL ranked 4th in the world (QS) and one of the elite uk universities but apparently the mechanical engineering department isn't that good. As far as I've heard the equipments are out dated, lectures are boring and not enough and other bad stuff but there are some gd lecturers and its UCL how bad can it be? UCL is mainly ranked low due to its student satisfaction and most UCL student for mech eng don't rank their professors very high. If you want to work abroad or in finance then UCL would hold an advantage but if you want to learn the subject research ect maybe Sheffield in my opinion I'm also very confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
A24
OP
Thank you so much shayanc for your feedback. Yea. I heard the mech. eng department is in some 'dungeon' where everything is old and outdated. But I also heard UCL is is a research university. Meaning they are very strong in their research areas and tend to focus a lot on it. Do you happen to know anything about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by A24
Thank you so much shayanc for your feedback. Yea. I heard the mech. eng department is in some 'dungeon' where everything is old and outdated. But I also heard UCL is is a research university. Meaning they are very strong in their research areas and tend to focus a lot on it. Do you happen to know anything about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yh UCL is world class university and yh the mech eng dept does have researchers who are lecturers and they have different research projects like ship shaping, body building etc its all on the Internet. But UCL mechanical engineering department is much smaller that its other department so they probably have leas resources but that doesn't mean it's bad or they don't teach. It's UCL it's cant be that bad but it got ranked again in 23rd place for mech eng in complete uni guide 2014 :s-smilie: What are Sheffield's requirements if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
A24
OP
Both UCL and Sheffield require AAA for me. I am actually pretty keen on UCL. I was just afraid that there was something very wrong with their mechanical engineering because of its ranking. But since everything seems ok, I think UCL would be a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by A24
Both UCL and Sheffield require AAA for me. I am actually pretty keen on UCL. I was just afraid that there was something very wrong with their mechanical engineering because of its ranking. But since everything seems ok, I think UCL would be a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh yh UCL would be a good choice as its would look very good on your cv specially abroad or baking. I'm not that fussed about UCLs mechanical engineering ranking as an employer is more likely to look at the overall ranking rater than subject ranking. UCL would look good on your cv as it can be comparable with Oxbridge, LSE, IC and other American Ivy League colleges. But what I'm worried about is the quality of teaching, resources ect. Apparently in UCL Mech Eng student don't receive much help and the feedback they get takes a long time, this reduces the student satisfaction ( I spoke to two UCL mech eng students on Facebook). That's what I'm scared of UCL, mech eng is a very very hard course and if I don't get taught well or receive correct feedback help then those 3/4 years will be hell and I may fail :s-smilie: But mind you if your are an independent hard worker then nothing can stop you doing well. What grades are you expecting (if you don't mind if I ask) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL has almost no rep for engineering at all. At least go to each open day before you make your mind up.
Reply 7
Original post by united.spammers
UCL has almost no rep for engineering at all. At least go to each open day before you make your mind up.

I've been to UCL and I know they are not known for engineering but does that matter if they have a good overall reputation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
A24
OP
I'm expecting AAA. Yea. I've heard they don't give much help in studying.
The problem is that I'm an international student. So I can't really go for their open days.
Their name is great, but the fact they don't have a rep for engineering is giving me the impression that the department might be a little neglected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by A24
I'm expecting AAA. Yea. I've heard they don't give much help in studying.
The problem is that I'm an international student. So I can't really go for their open days.
Their name is great, but the fact they don't have a rep for engineering is giving me the impression that the department might be a little neglected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm hard decision when are you planning to select your firm and insurance choice by?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shayanc
I've been to UCL and I know they are not known for engineering but does that matter if they have a good overall reputation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should matter to you, UCL has a really low student satisfaction for engineering. You really, really, don't want to spend three or four years on a course you'll be unhappy with.

If you're thinking just about job prospects, you'll have the same chances if you went to Southampton as you would UCL. They're both high-tier universities so employers won't see a difference. For engineering anyway.
Reply 11
A24
OP
Should be around mid May latest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by A24
Should be around mid May latest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh yh then I need to apply for student finance and accommodation. Which one are you inclining toward now UCL or Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
A24
OP
Yea. Currently I'm still more inclined towards UCL. Even though their ranking in mechanical engineering is pretty low, I prefer their course structure and the fact that it is in London. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by A24
Yea. Currently I'm still more inclined towards UCL. Even though their ranking in mechanical engineering is pretty low, I prefer their course structure and the fact that it is in London. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh same I spoke to two UCL mech eng students who chose UCL over Southampton at the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
A24
OP
What did they say? Why did they choose UCL in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by A24
What did they say? Why did they choose UCL in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well one of them said they don't receive much help in first and second year but all that help/respect comes back in year 3. Sometimes there's a lack of guidance form tutors which delays work. But they're still a lot of people doing the course around 120-100 and everyone helps each other out which eventually work out. Mind you there're people with grades of A*A*A*A* - AAB so there're are always going to be winners and losers. Overall they choose UCL as it would look better on the cv in finance or abroad. They all love the campus and the surrounding. Have you been to their campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
A24
OP
I've only been to the outside of their university. Passed by during a holiday trip. You have been there right? Is it good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by A24
I've only been to the outside of their university. Passed by during a holiday trip. You have been there right? Is it good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh the campus is amazing, the best one out of all the ones I've seen in my opinion. There're two underground stations close by and you get the city feeling. If you love London you will love the place and the surrounding but it's quite a bit more expensive than any other campus uni like Bath, Bristol, Southampton ect. But again my main concern is the quality of teaching at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
A24
OP
That is great to hear about their campus. Eventhough accommodation is more pricey and all, it's understandable. It's London. Anyways, I have made up my mind. I'll be going to UCL. I somehow prefer their course structure more. Good luck with your decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest