The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Thankies but B is also good! Did you want me to email you a list of all the key scholars you could use?

Could you send me a list too hehe. It would be so so apppreciated!
Does anyone know what questions they could ask you on demography? Or will the questions be very similar because I can't think of many different questions they could ask on it
Reply 42
Original post by skendall1994
Does anyone know what questions they could ask you on demography? Or will the questions be very similar because I can't think of many different questions they could ask on it

Separate on birth rate since for example since 1900 or Death rate since 1900 or both Biith & Death rate
Reply 43
Original post by amydonnan
You've made essay grids? What? I'm repeating this exam and have no idea what to do for it, help?

Its basically thses grids I made that i condense the topic and the essays( i wrote by hand for hw or in class ) down so I got 10 essays I need to memorise on the third essay at the moment (childhood) so 6/10 left although topic 6 came up as a 24 marker in January so going to learn bits and bobs for that like New right and what thye argue Robert Chetser neo-conventionalo family and Rapoport and Rapoorts five types of family diversity
Reply 44
Original post by ikz94
Its basically thses grids I made that i condense the topic and the essays( i wrote by hand for hw or in class ) down so I got 10 essays I need to memorise on the third essay at the moment (childhood) so 6/10 left although topic 6 came up as a 24 marker in January so going to learn bits and bobs for that like New right and what thye argue Robert Chetser neo-conventionalo family and Rapoport and Rapoorts five types of family diversity

Ah I see! Thank you haha! Good luck next monday! Will message you to see how it went :smile:
Reply 45
Ah I see! Thank you haha! Good luck next monday! Will message you to see how it went :smile:

Thanks personally I just lookaed at past paers now and I think Topic 1, Topic 4 , Topic 5 are most likely to be the 24 mark essay with Topic 2 and 7 as likely and Topic 3 and Topic 6 as shorter questions
Could you send me a list too hehe. It would be so so apppreciated!

Mail an email and I shall send it over!
Reply 47
hey all, im taking this exam!
i did it in january and with my other sciences, I didnt go over family diversity, so failed pretty bad...
I got a D :/
a huuuuge disapointment seen as i was getting nearly full marks in the essays in class.

this time however im hoping to do well, I used this last time

http://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/sociology_g672_the_family

its pretty good, but im hoping to use the mnemonic method this time and essay grids. that got me through gcse and hopefully it will help me with my history exams too.

good luck everyone!
Reply 48
Hi all :smile:

I did the families and households exam for sociology in Jan 2013 and got a A.

Marxism and family diversity came up just in case you were wondering so you can probably eliminate them.

Good luck !
Reply 49
Original post by sm3lly2ooo
hey all, im taking this exam!
i did it in january and with my other sciences, I didnt go over family diversity, so failed pretty bad...
I got a D :/
a huuuuge disapointment seen as i was getting nearly full marks in the essays in class.

this time however im hoping to do well, I used this last time

http://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/sociology_g672_the_family

its pretty good, but im hoping to use the mnemonic method this time and essay grids. that got me through gcse and hopefully it will help me with my history exams too.

good luck everyone!

Hi!

I know this is a sociology thread but a quick question! What history are u doing like for e.g. Is it aqa? American? Etc and whats the grid that you said could help you as i need all the help i can get!!

Mindmaps and doing a LOT of the 24 mark essay questions did the trick for me when I did the exam in January. Ended up only dropping 2 marks on the whole paper as well :wink:

Good luck lads/lasses!
Original post by brightbulb
For 'examine' questions, do we have to include criticisms or an argument?

Yeah, there are 14 marks available for knowledge and 10 for evaluation :-)
Reply 52
If family diversity and Marxism came up in January, I'm guessing I'm pretty safe to leave them till last to read over and remember? :holmes:
Reply 53
Original post by Deyesy
If family diversity and Marxism came up in January, I'm guessing I'm pretty safe to leave them till last to read over and remember? :holmes:

that what im doing i doubt family diversity is going to even come up came up in June 2012 and Jan 2013 would be great if it was a 2 marker or a 6 marker on list three types of family diversity :tongue:
Reply 54
Original post by ikz94
that what im doing i doubt family diversity is going to even come up came up in June 2012 and Jan 2013 would be great if it was a 2 marker or a 6 marker on list three types of family diversity :tongue:

Righty ^^ Gives me more time to focus on getting the other 5 topics spot on. I'm already reasonably confident on topic 1 and should be reasonably confident on Demography later. Six days to learn the other 4 topics and a small look at family diversity should be a doddle...He says.
Did this exam in January - here's some revision notes if people need them. sociolgy 1.docxsociology - Interactionism.docxfeminist.docxsociology new right.docx
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Yeah, there are 14 marks available for knowledge and 10 for evaluation :-)

Thanks! So how do we do this? Like if the question was 'examine the reasons for changes in the death rate' how could that be evaluated?
Reply 57
Original post by ikz94

is there a point learning family diversity when it came in january?
Reply 58
Original post by brightbulb
Thanks! So how do we do this? Like if the question was 'examine the reasons for changes in the death rate' how could that be evaluated?

i think talk about about the reasons for the fall in the death rate such as medical improvements, better nutrition etc...
but i am stuck on what else do you have to add?
Original post by 3mmz
i think talk about about the reasons for the fall in the death rate such as medical improvements, better nutrition etc...
but i am stuck on what else do you have to add?

Yeah you'd discuss the ageing population too.

You'd evaluate by comparing and contrasting the factors against one another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending