The Student Room Group

Access to Humanities and Social Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ah brilliant! Thank you very much. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by JoJaRe
Ah not too bad then. There doesn't seem to be much info about it on the website. Did you go to any open evenings before hand? Yeah it has to be spot on to just get an interview i think . I can't find any examples of a "mature" PS. They're all people who have just left school and done nothing work related :frown:

No again i was quite surprised i got an offer for an interview and that was all for me i was just happy there was an access course as i almost went back to do A-Levels :colondollar:

And thank you for that personal statement its my one big concern if you study enough you can get the grades but the personal statement is a bit daunting :s-smilie:
Reply 42
I have just applied for this course. I am hoping to get help with my fees otherwise I won't be able to afford it. I hope to study Sociology at university.
Reply 43
Original post by Hafnia
I have just applied for this course. I am hoping to get help with my fees otherwise I won't be able to afford it. I hope to study Sociology at university.

Best bet would be to contact the Student Finance at the college or check the website just type Student Finance into google :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Tom_91
Best bet would be to contact the Student Finance at the college or check the website just type Student Finance into google :smile:

I have just looked at the eligibility criteria and I think it's unlikely I will get help with my fees. I live at home with my parents and even though my income is low they will probably take my parents into account on top of that. Once the college have processed my application and got back to me I will ask them. I might not even get onto the course yet, I am 19 next month and isn't that a bit young for an access course?
Reply 45
Original post by Hafnia
I have just looked at the eligibility criteria and I think it's unlikely I will get help with my fees. I live at home with my parents and even though my income is low they will probably take my parents into account on top of that. Once the college have processed my application and got back to me I will ask them. I might not even get onto the course yet, I am 19 next month and isn't that a bit young for an access course?

I live in Wales and can apply for the Assembley Learning Grant dependent on if my parents earn less than 18,000 and something i get the full grant (unlikely for me) but if they earn between 18,000 and something and 52,000 and something you get a partial grant which can be still quite significant so definitely check first and discuss it with the Student Finance you may just be able to get something to help if not completely cover your costs :smile:

And i did an Access at 19 and applied when i was 18 (was 18 when i did the pre-access) so as long as your 19 in September it should be fine :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Tom_91
I live in Wales and can apply for the Assembley Learning Grant dependent on if my parents earn less than 18,000 and something i get the full grant (unlikely for me) but if they earn between 18,000 and something and 52,000 and something you get a partial grant which can be still quite significant so definitely check first and discuss it with the Student Finance you may just be able to get something to help if not completely cover your costs :smile:

And i did an Access at 19 and applied when i was 18 (was 18 when i did the pre-access) so as long as your 19 in September it should be fine :smile:

Thanks, that's good to know. Are you at a disadvantage when applying with an Access course though? I really like the look of the course at Manchester but should I be put off if I am not applying with A-Levels?
Reply 47
Original post by Hafnia
Thanks, that's good to know. Are you at a disadvantage when applying with an Access course though? I really like the look of the course at Manchester but should I be put off if I am not applying with A-Levels?

No the only disadvantage really is our age as though we are Mature Students we are still quite young and it can mean that certain things aren't available to us (as you havto be over a certain age) but for the most part not really as long as you meet all the requirements and are eligible it shouldn't affect you :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Tom_91
No the only disadvantage really is our age as though we are Mature Students we are still quite young and it can mean that certain things aren't available to us (as you havto be over a certain age) but for the most part not really as long as you meet all the requirements and are eligible it shouldn't affect you :smile:

Thanks again, I was just wondering really because it's definitely something I am interested in and want to pursue. I understand age could be an issue but I will try and make up for that in my personal statement.
Reply 49
Original post by Hafnia
Thanks again, I was just wondering really because it's definitely something I am interested in and want to pursue. I understand age could be an issue but I will try and make up for that in my personal statement.

Surprisingly being a mature student can be a great help as you have more life experience and are coming back to education of your own free will :smile: As long as you work hard get the grades and have a great personal statement thee really is no reason as to why you should not succeed :smile:
Reply 50
Hi there. I am due to start the Access to HE Humanities and Social Science course in September at Leicester College. I only have 1 GCSE which is Grade C English (had to leave school at 15...I am now 27). I am a little confused. I want to go to University to study Psychology, but the courses I am looking at require an Access Pass plus 5 GCSE's. Do the separate subjects studied on the course have the same equivalence? If not, am I looking at another year after the Access course to do my GCSE's? Feeling a bit downhearted if that is the case. Thank You.
Original post by oooLisa
Hi there. I am due to start the Access to HE Humanities and Social Science course in September at Leicester College. I only have 1 GCSE which is Grade C English (had to leave school at 15...I am now 27). I am a little confused. I want to go to University to study Psychology, but the courses I am looking at require an Access Pass plus 5 GCSE's. Do the separate subjects studied on the course have the same equivalence? If not, am I looking at another year after the Access course to do my GCSE's? Feeling a bit downhearted if that is the case. Thank You.

Does it say which GCSE grades or subjects? My access course comes with IT, Maths and English which is equivalent to C grades. You should email the University you are looking at and ask them to clarify.
Reply 52
The 5 GCSE requirement is for De Montfort University. University of Leicester requires a Pass in Access (30 credits with some at Distinction) plus 3 GCSE's in English, Maths and Core Science or Biology. I know my Access course offers English and Maths Level 2 equivalence, but I cant find anywhere to study the Science subject at night separately unless its included on my Access course which I am unsure of until I enrol. Thanks.
Original post by Hafnia
I I might not even get onto the course yet, I am 19 next month and isn't that a bit young for an access course?

[QUOTE=Tom_91;42509678

Just to say that I started my Access course at 17 and everything's been fine for me!! The average age of Access students on my course was very young this year even without me. I did have to "fight" to get onto my course in the first place but I've had no problem getting offers from universities.
Reply 54
Hi, there's some stranger who study this course? I am interested in this couse. What requirements are there to take you there? Thank you
Reply 55
Original post by Lienocka
Hi, there's some stranger who study this course? I am interested in this couse. What requirements are there to take you there? Thank you

Hi, I am not sure what you mean. Could you be a bit clearer please.
Reply 56
Sorry..I am from Slovakia and I do not know If I need to do some IELTS test when I would like to do this cours.
Original post by Lienocka
Sorry..I am from Slovakia and I do not know If I need to do some IELTS test when I would like to do this cours.

You can do IELTS as part of your Access course. Any offers you get from universities will include an IELTS requirement. You will need to contact individual colleges about the Access courses themselves. They will probably have some kind of test to ensure that your English is good enough for you to cope with studying Access.
Reply 58
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You can do IELTS as part of your Access course. Any offers you get from universities will include an IELTS requirement. You will need to contact individual colleges about the Access courses themselves. They will probably have some kind of test to ensure that your English is good enough for you to cope with studying Access.
Thank you very much I will contact college and I will see what they say to me :wink: thanks
What was the interview like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending