The Student Room Group

City and Islington Sixth Form College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by christmas_steps
Dan and Mike are really good so hopefully they are still there and you get them as your Philosophy teachers! I'm currently doing English Lit at Warwick University

I hope so too! Best of luck with your degree :smile:

Original post by paulpscully
Hey! I've actually got my interview this Thursday (ahh!) I applied for the International Baccalaureate diploma :smile:

Ah, sweet! How did it go? Which IB subjects are you thinking of taking? (Sorry for the 21 questions! :tongue:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by laylarose

Ah, sweet! How did it go? Which IB subjects are you thinking of taking? (Sorry for the 21 questions! :tongue:)

It went really well, thank you! :smile: For HL: English, Psychology and Anthropology. For SL: Spanish, Environmental Systems & Societies and Maths Studies.

I know how people are all like 'ahh Maths Studies is this&that', but I'm not good at maths and I'll never use it in the future :P I'm kinda worried that I won't get into Psychology (doing really bad at science at the moment) or Spanish (hopefully I'll scrape a B). Fingers crossed!

How comes you didn't apply for the IB? :P
Reply 22
It went really well, thank you! :smile: For HL: English, Psychology and Anthropology. For SL: Spanish, Environmental Systems & Societies and Maths Studies.

I know how people are all like 'ahh Maths Studies is this&that', but I'm not good at maths and I'll never use it in the future :P I'm kinda worried that I won't get into Psychology (doing really bad at science at the moment) or Spanish (hopefully I'll scrape a B). Fingers crossed!

How comes you didn't apply for the IB? :P

Terrific subjects :biggrin: And haha, I feel your pain - I'm absolutely awful at Maths! Numbers, shapes and all that jazz and I are just...:facepalm:. I'm never going to go into Sainsburys and grab a triangular piece of cheese and start working out the length of the hypotenuse!

If you need any help with Science (but I'm no Einstein!), just drop a message :biggrin:

I was considering the IB a few months ago, actually, (HL English Lit, History, Philosophy, SL Maths Studies, Physics and ab initio Latin) but I was frightened off by the prospect of 6 subjects and all the pressure that'd come with them.

Do you reckon this is your first choice college?
Terrific subjects :biggrin: And haha, I feel your pain - I'm absolutely awful at Maths! Numbers, shapes and all that jazz and I are just...:facepalm:. I'm never going to go into Sainsburys and grab a triangular piece of cheese and start working out the length of the hypotenuse!

If you need any help with Science (but I'm no Einstein!), just drop a message :biggrin:

I was considering the IB a few months ago, actually, (HL English Lit, History, Philosophy, SL Maths Studies, Physics and ab initio Latin) but I was frightened off by the prospect of 6 subjects and all the pressure that'd come with them.

Do you reckon this is your first choice college?

Hahahaha! That's exactly what I think! If I'm honest, apart from Data Handling (which is amazeballs) I don't see how Maths is an 'everyday' skill!

That's lovely of you! Thanks :smile:

I'm thinking about the pressure as well! But then again I feel like I'd really enjoy it, then at the same time I think if I do A-Levels I can have a bit more of a life!

Hmm... I've only applied to C&I and my own school's consortium sixth form :colondollar: the big question I've gotta answer is: Do I really want to do the IB?

How about you?
Reply 24
Hahahaha! That's exactly what I think! If I'm honest, apart from Data Handling (which is amazeballs) I don't see how Maths is an 'everyday' skill!

That's lovely of you! Thanks :smile:

I'm thinking about the pressure as well! But then again I feel like I'd really enjoy it, then at the same time I think if I do A-Levels I can have a bit more of a life!

Hmm... I've only applied to C&I and my own school's consortium sixth form :colondollar: the big question I've gotta answer is: Do I really want to do the IB?

How about you?

Yeah, exactly! And no problem :biggrin:

Ah, I see. I guess you could maybe make a list of the disadvantages and advantages of the two courses. Like you said, the IB would perhaps restrict your social life whereas A-Levels are more universally recognized (well, that's what my careers adviser said at least! :tongue:). Then again, with the IB you have a lot more flexibility in terms of subjects, as you'd get to study subjects that aren't available at A-Level.

And yus, C&I is my first choice. I missed the majority of the deadlines for the sixth forms I would have liked to go to (as I thought my school was opening its own sixth form, but it turns out they weren't anyway :mad:) and C&I seems like my best bet!
Yeah, exactly! And no problem :biggrin:

Ah, I see. I guess you could maybe make a list of the disadvantages and advantages of the two courses. Like you said, the IB would perhaps restrict your social life whereas A-Levels are more universally recognized (well, that's what my careers adviser said at least! :tongue:). Then again, with the IB you have a lot more flexibility in terms of subjects, as you'd get to study subjects that aren't available at A-Level.

And yus, C&I is my first choice. I missed the majority of the deadlines for the sixth forms I would have liked to go to (as I thought my school was opening its own sixth form, but it turns out they weren't anyway :mad:) and C&I seems like my best bet!

I've decided to wait til' the 'taster day(s)' to decide :smile: I think that's such a cool idea!

And ah! I missed a lot of deadlines for other sixth forms, too :frown: Have you thought about iC6? They accept late applications :biggrin:
Reply 26
I've decided to wait til' the 'taster day(s)' to decide :smile: I think that's such a cool idea!

And ah! I missed a lot of deadlines for other sixth forms, too :frown: Have you thought about iC6? They accept late applications :biggrin:

Oh, okay :biggrin:

I've just looked at iC6 and it doesn't offer History of Art :emo: Cheers anyway, though :smile:
Reply 27
Hey! I've actually got my interview this Thursday (ahh!) I applied for the International Baccalaureate diploma :smile:

hey, omg i woz gonna apply for the International Baccalaureate diploma but i think il break down after 2 weeks,u must be really smart to apply for it, good luck!
Original post by Aleena1996
hey, omg i woz gonna apply for the International Baccalaureate diploma but i think il break down after 2 weeks,u must be really smart to apply for it, good luck!

Aww, you should've applied! I'm not smart at all & I got an offer! Are you still going C&I? :smile:
Reply 29
Aww, you should've applied! I'm not smart at all & I got an offer! Are you still going C&I? :smile:

yep im still going but I jst ddnt apply for the IBDP, in the interview they tried to persuade to go for it but i knew i wont be able to cope, im already dying with all the GCSE's im doing now so yeh,how bowt u? u still going c&i?:smile:
I'm going to be studying,
- fine art
-art history
-english lit
- textiles
i was wondering if any of you guys take those subjects? if you do, can you tell me what the art materials are like, the quality, etc and if the textiles, art history and fine art department have good teachers? oh, and your opinion on the college and the art dfepartment overall, thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 31
hey wanted to ask if any current Cni students know if i can enrol for cni but to carry on with my A2 levels and what are the boards for economics,business,history and english lit.

Thanks,
:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by nb4355
hey wanted to ask if any current Cni students know if i can enrol for cni but to carry on with my A2 levels and what are the boards for economics,business,history and english lit.

Thanks,
:smile:

Yhh I go there, but you need to have passed those AS subjects with an E minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I applied to c&i too :smile: applied for Turkish,English Lit and History, but im having to change a few due to my results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a conditional offer on a childcare course level 3, very pleased. Anyone else doing childcare level 3 at CandI currently or in the future?
Hey TSR,

I was wondering if any current Year 11s are planning on going to City and Islington Sixth Form College this September. Or are there any current/previous alumni that'd be kind enough to share their experience? :biggrin:

I'm going to be studying:

English Literature

Philosophy

British History

Art History

not in yr11 but i'm applying to re-do my AS subjects at city and islington. fell in love:love: with the school when i went to the open day and the exam results are impressive (way better than where i'm at right now:frown:). i'm gonna be studying english litertaure, graphic communication and media studies. though i'm thinking of not doing graphics as right now i'm doing art and i can't keep up with the workload.:s-smilie:

did you get your interview? have you been? if you have when did you apply exactly? - sorry for all the questions just that i haven't got my interview date and i'm starting worry i didn't apply anywhere else cause i was sure i was gonna get in.:frown:
Original post by DevrimK_
I applied and got a conditional offer, at first I picked biology, English Lang, psychology and maths but I'm going to change maths to photography when I go to the enrolment day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

congratulations:smile:. i've applied to city and islington - i wanna study english literature, media studies and graphic communication (but not sure i wanna do graphics anymore though:confused:)
maybe i'll see you around in september :biggrin:
and if you don't mind me asking when did you apply exactly to city and islington? and when did you get your interview? - i'm asking cause i haven't heard anything yet and i'm worrying, i applied late december.
Original post by Aleena1996
hey, ive got a conditional offer to! im doin eng lit&lang, fine arts, R.E,and media studies. The place lookd alryt on da open day..

congratulations on the conditional offer :biggrin: i've applied to city and islington too, so maybe i'll see you around in september :smile:. hopefully i'll be studying english literature, graphic communication and media studies.
if you don't mind me asking when did you exactly apply i applied in december i ask this cause i haven't recieved my interview date and now i'm quite worried :frown:
Original post by NoctisXIII
Thinking of transferring there for A2 :smile:

Does anyone know if the Maths and F.Maths AS are simultaneously done in the first year, or if the Maths A level is completed in the first year and the Further Maths A level the next?

Thanks

i'm transferring here too from my school sixths:biggrin: form but i'll be AS (retake) or i might just continue them on A2:confused: depending on my grades in agust. on the open day i talked to the maths department, :s-smilie: bare with me as this way last year but if my memory serves me correct you either do maths or further maths their not done together but thats dependent on your gcse grade.
maybe i'll see you around in september :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending