The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
i did every past year papers, now what to do? any reference materials for unit 5?
Original post by liowwc
i did every past year papers, now what to do? any reference materials for unit 5?

Maybe look online for any topic tests available. And perhaps now focus all attention to the pre release material? And you could go through the textbook and revision guide and do the questions on there?
Original post by razia
Yes the exam does consist of 30 marks based on this article. Mainky, this part of the exam is used to test our knowledge on synoptic things. So Unit 1, 2 and 4. They could ask any question related to this article but it would most probably be a synoptic question. Therefore, you need to revisit the last 3 units you learnt. A paragraph in the article might relate to stem cells we learnt in Unit 1, topic 2. Or something related to atherosclerosis or blood clot etc.
To prepare, I would read this thread and practice these questions that people are discussing here and and use the materials people have posted. Also read previous years articles and questions so you can get an idea of what and how they ask questions in that section. Good luck. :yes:

Ahh alright thanks soo much, i only found out about the scientific particle from this forum :/
Reply 143
Has anyone got any help for exam technique? I feel that I know the stuff but am let down by exam technique

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Original post by liowwc

Well played, btw did you whilst doing past papers do the last questions involving the articles or did you leave them out? I was thinking, when i did one past paper so far, I did all the paper except the scientific article and was like whaaaaaat!!? So did you attempt them ?
Here are some questions my biology teacher gave us for the scientific article:

Spoiler

hey guys i nided some help in bio unit6B
for the jan 2013 paper question that asks us to compare the critical value of t with the table gvn fr the degrees of freedom...
does anyone kno hw to do it??
if u dnt hv the paper let me know and i wil upload it
thank u
plz help me bfr tuesday coz i have the exam on that day :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by angelz.pari
hey guys i nided some help in bio unit6B
for the jan 2013 paper question that asks us to compare the critical value of t with the table gvn fr the degrees of freedom...
does anyone kno hw to do it??
if u dnt hv the paper let me know and i wil upload it
thank u
plz help me bfr tuesday coz i have the exam on that day :smile:

This is the formula for degrees of freedom...degrees of freedom.jpg

In this paper, the degrees of freedom is 28 (therefore use 30 from the table, as it is the closest). Find the corresponding critical t value at p=0.05 ---> 2.04
This is less than 3.30, so the alternate hypothesis is accepted and hence we can conclude there is a significant difference between number recalled with and w/o music.

Hope this helped!

By the way, here is the thread for our paper on tuesday!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2333409&page=2&p=42560088#post42560088
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys I was wondering where I could get hold of the scientific article as I am an external candidate teaching myself the material!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 149
Original post by Ikklemini
Hey guys I was wondering where I could get hold of the scientific article as I am an external candidate teaching myself the material!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by Abod
download it from here

or here

and international only from here

credit to saadmannan of studentforums for uploading the scientific article

:rolleyes:
Original post by SKK94
This is the formula for degrees of freedom...degrees of freedom.jpg

In this paper, the degrees of freedom is 28 (therefore use 30 from the table, as it is the closest). Find the corresponding critical t value at p=0.05 ---> 2.04
This is less than 3.30, so the alternate hypothesis is accepted and hence we can conclude there is a significant difference between number recalled with and w/o music.

Hope this helped!

By the way, here is the thread for our paper on tuesday!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2333409&page=2&p=42560088#post42560088

heyy thank you so much i truly appreciate it :smile:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 151
Anyone know the difference between a muscle fibre, a myofibril and a filament?
Reply 152
Original post by ConradDodds
has anyone made notes on the pre release material? whats everyone doing with, just studying it and taking note of topics?

Hey if you inbox me your email address I can send you a fully annotated article
File is too big to upload
Reply 153
Original post by Satta101
Anyone know the difference between a muscle fibre, a myofibril and a filament?

So a muscle fibre is what makes up the muscle, the myofibrils make up the muscle fibres and these are made from sarcomeres which are made up of thin actin and thick myosin.

It is referred to as actin filament, hence 'sliding filament theory' as the actin will slide over the myosin.

Hope this helps.
Reply 154
Original post by Hdizzle
Hey if you inbox me your email address I can send you a fully annotated article
File is too big to upload

Hey,
as I'm an external candidate would you be able to email your annotated article?
Would really appreciate it.
Reply 155
Original post by omegalove
Hey,
as I'm an external candidate would you be able to email your annotated article?
Would really appreciate it.

Hi
Sure no problem but youd need to private message me your email address
Reply 156
Anyone know how statistical significance can be indicated on a bar graph?
Reply 157
Original post by SKK94
Anyone know how statistical significance can be indicated on a bar graph?

You have error bars on the bar graph
If these error bars over lap each other then that indicates that there is no significant difference between data
Reply 158
Hello,
In the textbook under photoperiods and phytochromes, the book goes on about "The actions of phytochromes in greening" and environmental cues such as gravity and environmental stress.

Does anyone know if we need to know about this or not?
Original post by ofudge
Hello,
In the textbook under photoperiods and phytochromes, the book goes on about "The actions of phytochromes in greening" and environmental cues such as gravity and environmental stress.

Does anyone know if we need to know about this or not?

Yes we do, we need to know about phototropism and geotropism in plants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending