The Student Room Group

Declining 'best' uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
it was awful, how i got an offer i havent got a clue. In my defence i'd been up since 4am that day, and my interview wasnt until nearly 3pm... You know you were going to love spending 4 years there when the first thing the academic who was interviewing you says is 'you better not have a really strong northern accent otherwise i wont be able to understand you'. I hadn't even said a word at that point.

You should have got up and walked out, then e-mailed the guy and said "I've accepted Sheffield so now you'll never find out, prick!"
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
I declined York for UEA. I'm only an undergrad so not fussed about the Russell Group shine.

It's so refreshing to see someone who's actually able to spell 'Russell Group' on here.
Original post by Prospective UK
Absolutely not !! Both of them are prestigious and also internationally recognised. If you want to define bad universities, they should be something out of top 30 (like Kingston , Westminster , UWE) or any prestigious Uni that lack morality and attitude (like Birmingham , Loughborough).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean "lack morality"? Birmingham and Loughborough are both excellent universities.
Original post by EliseMalone
I declined Warwick for Uni of Birmingham, although that was more due to living expenses and the fact I can't afford to move away from my family this year. But I think it will get rid of the added pressure of attending a higher rated university. We'll just have to see. :smile:

I did the polar opposite of you and firmed Warwick instead of Birmingham! Are you going to start university this year?
Original post by Devina-S
What do you mean "lack morality"? Birmingham and Loughborough are both excellent universities.

They are so narrow-minded that they even refused to give me a chance to show them my qualification and they also despised me in an unacceptable way (saying like I'm an alien from another world with weird qualification and told me to use this in my home country).

Meanwhile, I totally appreciated York , Nottingham , Lancaster that they gave a great opportunity for mature students with different background like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
While I didn't turn down my best uni, I did turn down (what could arguably be called) my best offer.

I accepted an unconditional for 1st year at Heriot-Watt whilst holding a Conditional for 3rd year at Abertay(B in HND graded unit).

I was sure to get the conditions for Abertay but I had wanted to go to HW since I was in high school. All my family were very happy for me but everyone at college was like "Wow! You actually chose to do an extra two years?"

For me, the course at HW was just too good an opportunity to pass-up.
They are so narrow-minded that they even refused to give me a chance to show them my qualification and they also despised me in an unacceptable way (saying like I'm an alien from another world with weird qualification and told me to use this in my home country).

Meanwhile, I totally appreciated York , Nottingham , Lancaster that they gave a great opportunity for mature students with different background like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Wow, sorry! Birmingham is quite an international university at that, so I'm surprised.
Really? Wow, sorry! Birmingham is quite an international university at that, so I'm surprised.

That's all right ^_^

I know that this is weird but it might happen with some mature students from outside EU like me who apply for UG (PG students from overseas are said to be treated much better.).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I declined my top two after realising that i wasn't actually good enough to get ghetto grades
That and my third choice had the nicest campus in my opinion :smile:
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Declined LSE for UCL. Had to choose where I'd be happiest, really. I did feel pressured to accept simply because it's LSE, but I know I would have just ended up hating it, and regretting the decision.

Isn't UCL better? I'm an international student, so in just going by the QS rankings but isn't UCL 2nd to only Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's all right ^_^

I know that this is weird but it might happen with some mature students from outside EU like me who apply for UG (PG students from overseas are said to be treated much better.).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah! Well good luck for whichever you go to :smile:
ah! Well good luck for whichever you go to :smile:

Thanks a lot !! Good luck for your study as well. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by SnipeSwipe
Isn't UCL better? I'm an international student, so in just going by the QS rankings but isn't UCL 2nd to only Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're both great! UCL tends to do better on international rankings, but LSE usually ranks higher in the domestic rankings.
Original post by SnipeSwipe

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL being better than oxford :lolwut: Reputation-wise, people would say otherwise. But its still a very very very good uni.
Reply 154
Someone from my school turned down an offer from Cambridge and instead went to Royal Academy Of Music to study composition (he/she won scholarship)

Here is the results of our sixth form college if anyone is interested (Mossbourne Sixth Form):

83% of examination grades were A*-C
61% of examinations grades were A*-B
Two students achieved 4 A* grades
11% of examination grades were A*
All except five students have gained a place at university in the most competitive environment that UCAS has seen for a very long time.
Three students won places at medical school
Seven students have accepted places at Cambridge University
One student won a scholarship, to study composition, at the Royal Academy of Music
Reply 155
I turned down Reading for Winchester. In my defence, I hated Reading's course and the university in general when I went for my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turned down Warwick for York for Law.

Mixture of factors - new accommodation, great campus feel, new course, less corporate than Warwick.
Original post by SimpleTom
Turned down Warwick for York for Law.

Mixture of factors - new accommodation, great campus feel, new course, less corporate than Warwick.

Are you sure you're happy with your choice?

Just that, I seem to have seen similar posts elsewhere. No need to try and convince anyone that your decision was correct. :K:

Let's hope you don't live to regret it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 158
I turned away Cambridge for UCL. Yolo. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cutmeloose
Are you sure you're happy with your choice?

Just that, I seem to have seen similar posts elsewhere. No need to try and convince anyone that your decision was correct. :K:

Let's hope you don't live to regret it.

Why, do you think I made the wrong decision?

Warwick just seemed hugely disorganised to me - they took AGES to make the offer, the are the last of all my uni's to reply to emails - we are talking like 3 weeks for a simply reply to a question and I don't like Coventry at all.

York is a Russell Group uni, it has new accommodation and I know I will be happier there and more likely to get a high 2:1/1st and a result.

Plus I prefer coursework to exams and York is 80% coursework based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending