The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dean Saunders sacked by Wolves whilst Kenny Jackett resigns at Millwall. Coincidence?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Midlander
Dean Saunders sacked by Wolves whilst Kenny Jackett resigns at Millwall. Coincidence?

Nigel Clough now the longest serving manager in the Championship :biggrin:

In other news, we've agreed a deal for Burnley 'keeper Lee Grant to come home. Seems to be highly-rated there (won Player Of The Year ahead of Austin) but he was poor when we first had him. He has my full support nevertheless :yy:
So pleased with the Brentford game yesterday. :yeah: We've made it difficult for ourselves in the last few games - Hartlepool and Doncaster as well as this one - but now I'm very hopeful that we can beat Yeovil and get ourselves into the Championship. :smile:
Original post by Scott129
Nigel Clough now the longest serving manager in the Championship :biggrin:

In other news, we've agreed a deal for Burnley 'keeper Lee Grant to come home. Seems to be highly-rated there (won Player Of The Year ahead of Austin) but he was poor when we first had him. He has my full support nevertheless :yy:

The Championship? Ah, that league we used to be in. Way overrated, losing to Shrewsbury and Carlisle is where it's at :wink:

Best news in a long time, people may say The board were fickle and just pulled the finger but they don't know what Saunders was like. Awful manager who couldn't walk the walk or even talk the talk :rolleyes:
Tickets for the play off final are slightly cheaper than last year, which is quite a nice surprise. Booking on Thursday after I work out how many people I'm buying tickets for.
Original post by Jangrafess
Tickets for the play off final are slightly cheaper than last year, which is quite a nice surprise. Booking on Thursday after I work out how many people I'm buying tickets for.

I'm very envious of you. :erm: Do enjoy!
Original post by hskjlclcn
Best news in a long time, people may say The board were fickle and just pulled the finger but they don't know what Saunders was like. Awful manager who couldn't walk the walk or even talk the talk :rolleyes:

You never heard Andy Thorn, clearly. YouTube him at your leisure.

Original post by KingMessi
I'm very envious of you. :erm: Do enjoy!

You have no way of going then? We've got 30,000 tickets and the cheapest ones are £30, so if you have time away from uni work you should definitely go. I doubt we'll sell the full allocation and if we do, anyone who wants a ticket will be able to get one.

I'm in Cornwall the day before the game running a creche for an organisation I volunteer for, which is slightly annoying. Means I have to leave at half six on Saturday, and spend six hours on a train to London. It could be worse though, the train ticket only cost £16.50 which is pretty fantastic.
You never heard Andy Thorn, clearly. YouTube him at your leisure.

I remember him and laughed! Him and Saunders would be happy together making empty promises :tongue:

Hope you have a great day! You deserve to win..the third team always do! :smile:
I remember him and laughed! Him and Saunders would be happy together making empty promises :tongue:

Thorn never made any promises, he just went 'Urrrr', chuckled, then scratched his head. Even with that fool as manager we nearly stayed up in 11/12-if someone with half a brain were employed we'd probably still be up.
You have no way of going then? We've got 30,000 tickets and the cheapest ones are £30, so if you have time away from uni work you should definitely go. I doubt we'll sell the full allocation and if we do, anyone who wants a ticket will be able to get one.

I'm in Cornwall the day before the game running a creche for an organisation I volunteer for, which is slightly annoying. Means I have to leave at half six on Saturday, and spend six hours on a train to London. It could be worse though, the train ticket only cost £16.50 which is pretty fantastic.

Good luck and may the best team win. I hope you win as I don't think I could stomach being in a lower division than both Bournemouth and Yeovil!
Thanks to both of you!

With a proper manager like that in charge, Wolves would walk the division. Most clubs in League One have an annual wage bill of what, £3-5m. Wolves will get quadruple that just from parachute payments, and they're not in financial ruin unlike most ''big'' clubs who have ended up in the third tier. Nobody will be able to compete with them for players.

I saw some of his quotes on another forum. http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?21311-The-Wit-and-Wisdom-of-Dean-Saunders

My personal favourite: ''The players have some pride they don’t want to play in League One. Apart from Saturday, every time we’ve needed a win we’ve got one. '' :laugh:
Thorn never made any promises, he just went 'Urrrr', chuckled, then scratched his head. Even with that fool as manager we nearly stayed up in 11/12-if someone with half a brain were employed we'd probably still be up.

Please - if we're having a **** manager-off then we win hands down:

Fashionable, but completely and utterly incompetent to the point where we only just beat ****ing macclesfield.
Original post by sr90
With a proper manager like that in charge, Wolves would walk the division. Most clubs in League One have an annual wage bill of what, £3-5m. Wolves will get quadruple that just from parachute payments, and they're not in financial ruin unlike most ''big'' clubs who have ended up in the third tier. Nobody will be able to compete with them for players.

I saw some of his quotes on another forum. http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?21311-The-Wit-and-Wisdom-of-Dean-Saunders

My personal favourite: ''The players have some pride they don’t want to play in League One. Apart from Saturday, every time we’ve needed a win we’ve got one. '' :laugh:

Coventry's wage bill was £4m this season and was among the league's highest. I expect any half decent manager to walk the league with Wolves-then again I thought we'd walk it too.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Please - if we're having a **** manager-off then we win hands down:

Fashionable, but completely and utterly incompetent to the point where we only just beat ****ing macclesfield.

Doesn't matter who the manager is when you're spending more than anyone else.

Doesn't matter who the manager is when you're spending more than anyone else.

Just a shame we're not spending more than anyone else then isn't it?

For instance Blackburn spent 8m on Rhodes - this season Wood, Knockaert, James and De Laet have been the only ones we've spent money on - most of which was recouped by selling Mills and Bamba - and cost less put together than Rhodes did.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Just a shame we're not spending more than anyone else then isn't it?

For instance Blackburn spent 8m on Rhodes - this season Wood, Knockaert, James and De Laet have been the only ones we've spent money on - most of which was recouped by selling Mills and Bamba - and cost less put together than Rhodes did.

Big spenders nonetheless and not solely on transfer fees. It'll be interesting if you fail in the playoffs how much more the Thais are happy to lose.

Mind, they now have the ground as security and are charging whopping interest on the loans already ploughed in.

Latest