The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6CH07/01- May 8th 2013 - AS Chemistry Unit 3B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lamalam
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367913926.291245.jpgCan u guys tell me why the mouth of the beaker cannot be stoppered? Thx!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you are collecting a liquid. and not a gas!
You are condensing a gas into liquid. thats why you have a condenser
Original post by Lamalam
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367913926.291245.jpgCan u guys tell me why the mouth of the beaker cannot be stoppered? Thx!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To allow an outlet for air and to prevent build up of gas pressure. The apparatus has to be open at one end when heating. In simple distillation it is open at the receiving end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have we to know what pH indicator to use, like for different addition of alkali or acid to each other depending on the colour change?
Reply 63
there is a very interesting q, can someone explain it ? :wink:

____When C is warmed with excess aqueous potassium hydroxide the following
reaction occurs.
CH2=CH-CH2Br + OH- --> CH2=CH-CH2OH + Br-
To test for the presence of the bromide ions formed dilute nitric acid
followed by aqueous silver nitrate is added to the cooled mixture.
Why is dilute nitric acid added?

Neutralise (KOH/OH)
Ignore ‘acidify’
Original post by Lamalam
there is a very interesting q, can someone explain it ? :wink:

____When C is warmed with excess aqueous potassium hydroxide the following
reaction occurs.
CH2=CH-CH2Br + OH- --> CH2=CH-CH2OH + Br-
To test for the presence of the bromide ions formed dilute nitric acid
followed by aqueous silver nitrate is added to the cooled mixture.
Why is dilute nitric acid added?

Neutralise (KOH/OH������)
Ignore ‘acidify’

This is from the Sample Assessment ?

The usual answer would be to make sure than any precipitate formed will be that of a silver halide and not a carbonate or hydroxide or a sulfite or sulfate or a hydrogencarbonate or hydrogensulphate etc but in this context there is NO possibility of a carbonate but surely a hydroxide may be precipitated if it was not neutralized back into water.

Always look at the products and reactants. For example,There is no S in above reactants..so no chances for a sulphate salt. So only answers will be neutralize/remove OH-/etc
Acidify is also quite a good answer but thats not the point us having an acid added. Our aim was to neutralize, so this shoud be the answer. But as a result of us adding acid it gets acidified, but this "to acidify" was not the purpose. So examiner should ignore it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Have we to know what pH indicator to use, like for different addition of alkali or acid to each other depending on the colour change?

Phenolpthalein and methyl orange
starch is used for iodine titrations
Reply 66

BTW. That paper that we did in CLASSSSSSS today. The first MCQ. Was it D?
NilFBosh u mean tip squash..? lol
Does anyone have the mark scheme for 2013 Jan Chemistry 3B? I have done the paper but I couldn't find the answer. Please help. Thanks a lot:smile:
Reply 69
This is from the Sample Assessment ?

The usual answer would be to make sure than any precipitate formed will be that of a silver halide and not a carbonate or hydroxide or a sulfite or sulfate or a hydrogencarbonate or hydrogensulphate etc but in this context there is NO possibility of a carbonate but surely a hydroxide may be precipitated if it was not neutralized back into water.

Always look at the products and reactants. For example,There is no S in above reactants..so no chances for a sulphate salt. So only answers will be neutralize/remove OH-/etc
Acidify is also quite a good answer but thats not the point us having an acid added. Our aim was to neutralize, so this shoud be the answer. But as a result of us adding acid it gets acidified, but this "to acidify" was not the purpose. So examiner should ignore it.

what's the purpose of neutralising oH- ?? isn't OH- need to attack the halogenoalkane?? why it needs to be neutralised?:confused:
Do we have to remember the iodine, thiosulfate ionic reaction?
Reply 71
Original post by Relaxedexams
Do we have to remember the iodine, thiosulfate ionic reaction?

U dont need to. Just know that the indicator is starch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lamalam
what's the purpose of neutralising oH- ?? isn't OH- need to attack the halogenoalkane?? why it needs to be neutralised?:confused:

This is after the OH- ion has hydrolysed the C-halogen bond.

Now it has to be removed because otherwise it will form Silver oxide precipitate with silver, leading to a false result.

Therefore, dilute nitric acid is added, so that the solution is just acidic to litmus, to remove these excess OH- ions.
Original post by NilFBosh

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are 100% sure?

My tutor keeps on insisting to learn it...:mute:
Original post by MrNevermind
Does anyone have the mark scheme for 2013 Jan Chemistry 3B? I have done the paper but I couldn't find the answer. Please help. Thanks a lot:smile:

Here http://uppit.com/17bwcy54u41g/6CHO7_Jan_2013_MS.pdf
You are 100% sure?

My tutor keeps on insisting to learn it...:mute:

I2 + 2s203(2)- ---> s4o6(2)- + 2I-

Iodine based titrations - Starch

Normal Acid/Alkali titrations - Methyl orange or phenolphthalein

We have never got a question as such yet, but is it possible that we might get a question where we have to decide on the indicator based on the colour of the solution before and at the end point?
Original post by NilFBosh

Posted from TSR Mobile

and also the colour change before and after?
Reply 78
This is after the OH- ion has hydrolysed the C-halogen bond.

Now it has to be removed because otherwise it will form Silver oxide precipitate with silver, leading to a false result.

Therefore, dilute nitric acid is added, so that the solution is just acidic to litmus, to remove these excess OH- ions.

but the acid is added before (aq) silver nitrate, how can the acid remove oH- after the OH- ion has hydrolysed the C-halogen bond?
Original post by Lamalam
but the acid is added before (aq) silver nitrate, how can the acid remove oH- after the OH- ion has hydrolysed the C-halogen bond?

(1) The OH- ion hydrolyses the C-halogen bond BEFORE the acid is added.

(2) Then acid is added to remove excess OH- ions.

(3) Then aqueous AgNO3 is added to obtain a silver halide ppt.

If OH- ions were not removed in step (2), in step (3) Silver oxide ppt will form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending