The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
I am really struggling with last minute revision and I'd be grateful if anyone could give me their predictions for the following:

Study Theme 1A - Devolved Decision Making in Scotland (devolution..perhaps?)
Study Theme 2 - Wealth and Health Inequalities in the UK (Gov policies to reduce poverty maybe?)
Study Theme 3C - The USA (I have no idea please help ha)
Study Theme 3F - Global Security (effectiveness of un and nato?)

Please help!
Reply 841
Original post by shinyroof43
anyone else really struggling with writing decision making in Scotland essays?

Yes, very much so. I'm thinking maybe devolution and how westminster contributes to holyrood?
Reply 842
I know DMCG, USA, Africa inside out. Health and Wealth I know the stuff but not enough. I know policies but I don't know how they have improved things! :frown:

I hope I do well in the three other essays so I can fail health and wealth and it wont matter haha
Reply 843
Original post by fjords
The question is: Critically examine the view that government, not individuals, should be responsible for health and welfare provision.

http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects/Modern_Studies/Higher/Paper_1_examples/example6

The second response is the one that received full marks.

Thank you :biggrin:
Chances of an AID question appearing for Africa? Personally, I'm hoping it's either NGOs or UNOs.

For the USA I'm learning:
- the immigration debate
- ethnic minorities and the election
- social and economic equalities/the American dream
- govt responses to these inequalities
(may glance over powers of the president tomorrow)
I can't find any example questions for civil service? what would you write about?
See when you're writing about the successes of government policies to get the marks do you have to give the stats that directly go with the policies or can you just talk about general improvements? And yeah I know its a stupid question but I just want to see if I can get away with it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 847
How would I go about structuring a trade vs aid essay? Does anyone have an example essay or anything?

My teacher put that at the top of her list for the Politics of Development predictions but I haven't really seen it mentioned in this thread.
Reply 848
Original post by JessicaLee123
what are your teachers predictions for erm wealth and health topic? :smile:

I couldn't say what my teachers predictions would be but to be safe I would avoid spending too much time planning for the "Has the Welfare state met its aims" question as it was last years, last year we had gender or race inequality. Even though the most obvious question "Link between health and wealth" might not come up as simply as that, I find that I can use lots of my answers to that question and suit them to other questions. I don't want to give you any bad advice, just saw the thread and thought I'd mention it. Could be a social class type question, we studied it again and again last year and it never came up but the teacher seemed to think it was important. Someone in class this year told me they were spending lots of time on "political parties responses to social and economical inequalities", also private health care, maybe comparing it with state care - we spent lots of time on that last year too, thank god it didn't come up for me but could this year.
What was the general consensus for USA?? Something to do with EMs and political progress/political influence, and social and economic inequalities and the gov. response?
For South Africa, when talking about social/economic challenges, could you just write GEAR and ASGISA to save time or would you need to write out the full super long names?
Reply 851
Original post by hollieeilloh
For South Africa, when talking about social/economic challenges, could you just write GEAR and ASGISA to save time or would you need to write out the full super long names?

You don't need to write them out each time but you do have to write it out the first time you say it and then put the abbreviation in brackets next to it so they know you'll be abbreviating it from then on.
Original post by hollie.w
You don't need to write them out each time but you do have to write it out the first time you say it and then put the abbreviation in brackets next to it so they know you'll be abbreviating it from then on.

Ah, darn, that's what I thought haha! I only write them once normally, so it's a bit annoying :tongue: Thank you anyway! :smile:
Reply 853
How important are your statistics? I mean I have an awful lot of them and I feel like it's unlikely i'll be able to remember some of the country specific stuff for Politics of Development (like '2/3 of Mozambique's population live in poverty') along with all the other information for different topics.

Would having less statistics be ok if my points were developed enough?
Reply 854
does anyone have an essay on PR systems in general being the best electoral system????? need help!!!
Reply 855
Also is a question on ams or stv more likely to be against FPTP or against all other electoral systems?? So if the question was on ams being the superior electoral system, would you have to talk about about it being better than stv as well as FPTP???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's my predictions.
Electoral systems : FPTP VS AMS

Wealth & Health : government policies to reduce poverty or social class limits health more than any other factor.

USA: affirmative action? Not been up in the last 5 years, immigration or ethnic minorities influence 2012 election.

Africa: Blocks to development, war etc or Ngo's success/ failures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amber_sss
Also is a question on ams or stv more likely to be against FPTP or against all other electoral systems?? So if the question was on ams being the superior electoral system, would you have to talk about about it being better than stv as well as FPTP???

Posted from TSR Mobile

itll be either STV/AMS/Party list or PR in general against FPTP.

the only question you would draw in STV and AMS would be for a PR in general V FPTP question. :smile:

the only question you would draw in STV and AMS would be for a PR in general V FPTP question. :smile:

how do you structure a PR vs FPTP essay if it's not on one specific PR
Reply 859

Do you, or anyone else have notes on Party List I have practically nothing?!?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending