The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itssochaotic
that's amazing, thank you so much!!! really appreciate it.

Many thanks to Tullia!
Happy revising for med school! :biggrin:
HOw the hell do you memorise all the colours of the complex ions?
Reply 542
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
HOw the hell do you memorise all the colours of the complex ions?

I go through them every morning once I wake up and every evening when I go to sleep. Weird I know but the repeating the process works for me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 543
has anyone done the A2 chemistry EMPA exam on this bordeaux stuff and would be willing to give me some useful tips :biggrin: would make my day
Reply 544
Original post by laurawoods
Still I think that it is important to not talk about units, but talk about chemistry! Unit 4 has definitely got some important stuff in it...but yes, I do agree with you that those are easy to forget concepts and are not the absolute 'underlying' concepts! :smile: One day , our teacher (he has a phD in chem) was saying that when he came into teaching, he couldn't remember any of it! So yeah, what u are saying makes perfect sense. Things like thermodynamics etc are good chem but not essential chem and inevitably people (even the best chemists) will forget it! If u don't mind me asking what did u get in the chem 4 unit?

A grade
Original post by itssochaotic
I have an offer from plymouth:smile:

Well done!
Reply 546
Has anyone done the born-haber cycles questions on the a-levelchemistry site (5.1 exercise 2)? I keep getting the wrong answer and have no idea where I'm going wrong!! :s
I think im being stupid but why does the color change in dichromate equilibrium when the oxidation state remains +6?

Is it something to do with the acidity or the ligands?

Original post by Jesss9
Has anyone done the born-haber cycles questions on the a-levelchemistry site (5.1 exercise 2)? I keep getting the wrong answer and have no idea where I'm going wrong!! :s

Did you divide the bond dissociation by 2? Only one cl is needed not 2
Reply 549
did the Jan paper as a mock today, it was such a nice paper, wish I'd sat that one!
Reply 550
Original post by JenniS
did the Jan paper as a mock today, it was such a nice paper, wish I'd sat that one!

Even the data book stuff??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 551
Original post by mackie0088
Did you divide the bond dissociation by 2? Only one cl is needed not 2

Oooh... no I didn't!! Seems really obvious now, thank you so much!! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 552
Original post by popnit
Even the data book stuff??

Posted from TSR Mobile

there was only two 1 markers on that, think I got the one that was something to do with water, but all the transition metal and electrochemical cell stuff was alright
Reply 553
Original post by mackie0088
I think im being stupid but why does the color change in dichromate equilibrium when the oxidation state remains +6?

Is it something to do with the acidity or the ligands?

The colour change is because you have produced a different ion. The dichromate ion has a different structure (different number of ligands as well as 2 chromiums in dichromate) to the chromate ion, so there is a colour change when you produce the other complex.

Remember - dichromate (orange) is stable in acidic solution while chromate (yellow) is stable in alkaline solution.
Reply 554
Redox is the last chapter I need to wrap my head around and no matter what I do, I keep getting questions wrong! As soon as I think I understand the rules seem to change! :frown:
Original post by folks
redox is the last chapter i need to wrap my head around and no matter what i do, i keep getting questions wrong! As soon as i think i understand the rules seem to change! :frown:

ugh same mate it's so ugh-y :l
How far are you guys with your revision? Just want to know where I am/should be roughly against some others :smile: (Not that great i dont think tbh :L)
Reply 557
how do you draw a square planar complex? And when drawing the tetrahedral and octahedral complexes, do we draw them with the different lines that we used in unit 1 when drawing shapes out, like the bold and dashed lines , or do we just use normal lines?
Reply 558
Can someone tell me the equation of how (Fe(OH)2(H2O)4)... IS OXIDISED??? Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does any pne know the equation for a metal chromate + a metal nitrate? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending