The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Could anybody explain what social inequalities have improved in wealth and health topic and if i could add in mens health clinics as a improvement in mens health :biggrin:
Reply 861
Original post by JessicaLee123
itll be either STV/AMS/Party list or PR in general against FPTP.

the only question you would draw in STV and AMS would be for a PR in general V FPTP question. :smile:

So it will always be against FPTP??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im weak on party list too lol. cant find any examples of coalitions etc my statistics on party list basically just comes from the election results :frown:

if anybody has any notes on party list itd be really helpful!
Reply 863
Original post by JackoGeddes
how do you structure a PR vs FPTP essay if it's not on one specific PR

I'm thinking it would be participation, representation/proportionality and effective govt/accountability ?? The same as the others but talking about both stv and ams against FPTP, well this is what I think :/ not too sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amber_sss
So it will always be against FPTP??

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup should be. STV V AMS would be silly cause their both PR systems and they both have similar weaknesses coalitions etcetc
Reply 865
yup should be. STV V AMS would be silly cause their both PR systems and they both have similar weaknesses coalitions etcetc

Okay sweeeet! Thanksss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anybody explain what social inequalities have improved in wealth and health topic and if i could add in mens health clinics as a improvement in mens health :biggrin:

yep could say wellmans clinics have seen a reduce in the life expectancy gap of men/woman.

however men still more likely to work in manual jobs, 85% filled with men which are generally lower paid, studies show those who work in physical labour their entire life loose 6-8 years expectancy.
Original post by amber_sss
I'm thinking it would be participation, representation/proportionality and effective govt/accountability ?? The same as the others but talking about both stv and ams against FPTP, well this is what I think :/ not too sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats what i was thinking. i do preportinality, choice, fairness and participation.. having the 2 vs fptp will just confuse thing, here's hoping it will be 1. my guess is AMS.
Please can somebody help me - for decision makig in central government is there a chance there could be a Cabinet/Civil Service essay? if yes, How do i do it?
Reply 869
I have know idea what I'm meant to do I've crashed this higher and have know idea what to study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jambo973
I have know idea what I'm meant to do I've crashed this higher and have know idea what to study

Posted from TSR Mobile

whenever I think i'm underprepared i see statements like that and i am able to relax a bit :colone:
yep could say wellmans clinics have seen a reduce in the life expectancy gap of men/woman.

however men still more likely to work in manual jobs, 85% filled with men which are generally lower paid, studies show those who work in physical labour their entire life loose 6-8 years expectancy.

thanks! :smile:
so what could i say about about improvements in social inequalities between rich and poor or deprived areas?
Original post by Jambo973

Posted from TSR Mobile

just read the predictions in this thread and that should help your revision :smile:
Need some help with ""To what extent have all Chinese citizens benefited from social and economic reforms?" if anyone has a detailed essay plan!
I am sitting my Higher Modern Studies exam this week and i know a lot of my stuff i just struggle to remember statistics and i get them mixed up with other things, does anyone have any useful tips/advice?

Also i seen people asking about DME an easy way i learned the structure is MIRSARC (memno, intro, reccomendation, supporting arguments, arguments against, rebuttals, conclusion) And if in doubt argue for the policy!
Reply 875
Hey just wondering what people predictions are for China, South Africa, Health and Wealth and voting systems

I doubt voting systems will be on voting behaviour, maybe FPTP vs AMS or FPTP vs STV?
Reply 876
thats what i was thinking. i do preportinality, choice, fairness and participation.. having the 2 vs fptp will just confuse thing, here's hoping it will be 1. my guess is AMS.

Ahhh okay, wait so what is included in each one? That seems easier coz the questions are usually worded like that! I know! Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have my exams in 2 more days.

I am pretty much covered but one thing I cannot find anywhere online are example essays.

Can someone here please email me some example essays which scored well for any of the following topics:

Health/Wealth
China
Electoral Systems
South Africa

Very much appreciated.
Reply 878
Do these questions: "To what extent... does a person's social class affect health and wealth/is there a link between lifestyle and social inequalities/is there a link between income and health?" roughly have the same sort of essay structure?

I assume i'd be talking about all the different factors affecting health/wealth (geography, race/gender, social class and lifestyle) in each one and not just the one factor mentioned?
What's your thoughts on USA? I recently used the website 'modernity scotland' by the man who writes the exam and affirmative action was on the homepage. Surely that's not coming up? 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest