The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
What's everyone thinking for the Health and Wealth question? Severely hope it's on lifestyle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SannaHussain
I'm struggling on the Devolved Decision making topic and was wondering if somebody could help with a plan as to how local government has come into conflict with the Scottish government?

that came up last year. you def dont need to worry about that :smile: its more likely to be a devolution Q!
Original post by eclxx
What's everyone thinking for the Health and Wealth question? Severely hope it's on lifestyle

Posted from TSR Mobile

I PRAY it is lol... such a easy question to waffle about and include common sense :smile:
Original post by JessicaLee123
that came up last year. you def dont need to worry about that :smile: its more likely to be a devolution Q!

Thanks, just wanted to be safe and do it anyway i like to be extra prepared have you done that essay? And I'm totally freaking out, how have you been revising?
Reply 904
does anyone have anything on ethnic minority political progress in the usa or is it not worth learning?
Original post by ladymarshmallow
According to the SQA's 2012 grade boundaries table, the minimum mark for an A grade last year was 63/90 which equates to exactly 70%.
Hmm...so if I were to get 25/30 in the report, I'd only need to get 9.5 marks per essay to get an A. :biggrin:

that is so reassuring, i got an A on my prelim, when one of my essays was so bad! 5/15 haha
Original post by SannaHussain
Thanks, just wanted to be safe and do it anyway i like to be extra prepared have you done that essay? And I'm totally freaking out, how have you been revising?

if you wanted to be safe than your better of revising LA role. Im going to take the risk and not do anything regarding LA. haha! cant see LA coming up when it came up last year :smile:

ive just learnt devolution, bad and postives of it. and co op and conflict between holyrood and westminster. Also maybe westminster representation :smile:
Original post by JessicaLee123
if you wanted to be safe than your better of revising LA role. Im going to take the risk and not do anything regarding LA. haha! cant see LA coming up when it came up last year :smile:

ive just learnt devolution, bad and postives of it. and co op and conflict between holyrood and westminster. Also maybe westminster representation :smile:

Ok cool, how have you planned the important decisions are made at Westminster essay question? Mines is like a mess with no structure. Scotland is by far my worst topic.
Reply 908
Hey guys, absolutely panicking over the electoral system, voting and political attitudes section. I've seen a few predictions of people saying they think it'll be AMS VS. FPTP OR STV VS. FPTP, but i was mainly wondering if the sqa can still ask about the turnout of voters, etc. Its just that i've seen so many questions come up about voting behaviour (4 out of the last 6 years) and i was curious. Thanks to anyone that replies.
Original post by nicolagrantgrant
that is so reassuring, i got an A on my prelim, when one of my essays was so bad! 5/15 haha

:tongue: What did you get for Paper 2 and the other essays?
I got a B (66%) in the prelim, with a botched essay as well, 7/15, because I ran out of time, although I'm aiming for an A in this exam. :smile:
Reply 910
Original post by Dave1234
Hey guys, absolutely panicking over the electoral system, voting and political attitudes section. I've seen a few predictions of people saying they think it'll be AMS VS. FPTP OR STV VS. FPTP, but i was mainly wondering if the sqa can still ask about the turnout of voters, etc. Its just that i've seen so many questions come up about voting behaviour (4 out of the last 6 years) and i was curious. Thanks to anyone that replies.

nope:smile: All that voter turnout stuff is left over from the old Higher (pre-2007) when they still used to have describe questions only worth 10 marks. It's like social class - you used to get questions asking different ways in which social class could be defined etc, but now it's all analysis.
Does anyone have an essay/essay plan on American immigration which they'd be willing to post here? Thanks.
Reply 912
anyones any predictions for Wealth and Health?
Reply 914
Is there a word limit to these essays? Haha. Like if you wrote over 2 sheets of a4 paper would they mind??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 915
Original post by xscottishx
What do yous think will be asked this year in Higher Modern studies?

My teacher told us to learn the following:

Decision making in central government- backbench mps v government, parliament v government, pressure groups, slsleaze

Voting systems- definitely a straight forward ams v fptp or pr v fptp

Health & Wealth- main causes of health and wealth inequalities, collectivist v individualist

USA- political progress for em's, how em's impact elections, American dream

Our teachers have been pretty good every year for predictions!
Reply 916
Original post by Lozb
My teacher told us to learn the following:

Decision making in central government- backbench mps v government, parliament v government, pressure groups, slsleaze

Voting systems- definitely a straight forward ams v fptp or pr v fptp

Health & Wealth- main causes of health and wealth inequalities, collectivist v individualist

USA- political progress for em's, how em's impact elections, American dream

Our teachers have been pretty good every year for predictions!

does anyone have any links,essay plans or tips for the collectivist v individualist essay??
Reply 917
Any DME predictions?
Reply 918
Original post by amie223
does anyone have any links,essay plans or tips for the collectivist v individualist essay??

Type in understanding standards on google and click on that, get to higher modern studies paper 1 examples and there's a 15/15 marked essay on there!
Original post by CarlyR
Any DME predictions?

Minimum alcohol pricing. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending