The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Aron17
I have already sat this exam twice, so if anyone has any questions feel fre to ask. :smile:

how much harder did you find this exam compared to the big AS paper?
Reply 221
[QUOTE="George;42508085" Daniel="Daniel"]any great tips you can give us in preparation - most important things etc :h:?

Original post by emah123
how much harder did you find this exam compared to the big AS paper?

If you haven't already done so choose the 3 topics you intend to answer as soon as possible, also do the 40 marker first and leave your hardest topic till last. I would also advise everyone to do the tectonics 40 mark question, assuming that they have learnt about it, as it usually the easiest question and there are only certain questions they can ask you about. Hope this helped, if you want to know anything else just ask.

As for whether this exam is harder than the big AS paper, I would say it is harder but not substantially harder. If you got a good grade in the AS paper you should be able to do the same in this exam. :smile:
Reply 222
[QUOTE="Aron17;42511502"]
Original post by Daniel George
any great tips you can give us in preparation - most important things etc :h:?

If you haven't already done so choose the 3 topics you intend to answer as soon as possible, also do the 40 marker first and leave your hardest topic till last. I would also advise everyone to do the tectonics 40 mark question, assuming that they have learnt about it, as it usually the easiest question and there are only certain questions they can ask you about. Hope this helped, if you want to know anything else just ask.

As for whether this exam is harder than the big AS paper, I would say it is harder but not substantially harder. If you got a good grade in the AS paper you should be able to do the same in this exam. :smile:

thank you! what stuff should i learn in depth to answer the 40 mark tectonics essay? is it sufficient to know two case studies of earthquakes in contrasting medc and ledc?

i got 125/140 but really worried abt this paper! also how should i prepare for the paper 4b evaluation paper?

I was actually hoping to do a human 40 mark as i been getting above 30 in those in class... but i may change..

thank you :smile:
Reply 223
Also guys do you think its okay for me to have chile as my MEDC earthquake and Haiti as my LEDC earthquake?

these are the ones we learnt in school
Reply 224
Original post by Aron17
I have already sat this exam twice, so if anyone has any questions feel fre to ask. :smile:

thank you! what stuff should i learn in depth to answer the 40 mark tectonics essay? is it sufficient to know two case studies of earthquakes in contrasting medc and ledc?

i got 125/140 but really worried abt this paper! also how should i prepare for the paper 4b evaluation paper?

I was actually hoping to do a human 40 mark as i been getting above 30 in those in class... but i may change..

Reply 225
Original post by emah123

For the 40 mark tectonics question I would recommend focusing on hazards, impacts, preparedness and the theory of plate tectonics also I would say it is sufficient to know two case studies from medc's and ledc's, for both volcanos and earthquakes.

For the 4b paper I never sat that I done 4a, sorry I can't help you with that.

If you are good at doing human topics for the 40 marker then do that, it's just personally I always feel the tectonics questions are much easier and so did most of the people in my class, but if human is what your best at then do that.
Original post by emah123

I've got a feeling that the tectonics 40 mkr could be weird this year. I recon they could potentially ask something about 'tectonic events can bring positive impacts' to what extent do u agree. (40) not come up or something u could revise to make ure answer stand out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 227
Original post by jacktomos95
I've got a feeling that the tectonics 40 mkr could be weird this year. I recon they could potentially ask something about 'tectonic events can bring positive impacts' to what extent do u agree. (40) not come up or something u could revise to make ure answer stand out

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I can even think of one positive to that question lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
I don't think I can even think of one positive to that question lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

It probably won't be so one sided like that because it is not covered in spec, but a chief examiner report said clever candidates will show an awareness and be able to include it.

So positive impacts you could talk about....

Mineralisation- land becoming more useful from sulphur dioxide

Tourism- geysers, volcanoes ext

Agricultural land- fertile, terracing slopes ext.

Incorporate examples and some figures to show u can 'think like a geographer' so u can access top marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jacktomos95
It probably won't be so one sided like that because it is not covered in spec, but a chief examiner report said clever candidates will show an awareness and be able to include it.

So positive impacts you could talk about....

Mineralisation- land becoming more useful from sulphur dioxide

Tourism- geysers, volcanoes ext

Agricultural land- fertile, terracing slopes ext.

Incorporate examples and some figures to show u can 'think like a geographer' so u can access top marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

well. this question will seriously suck...

how's revision going? I feel so unconfident arghh
Reply 230
Anyone have the January 2013 QP and MS they can share or send to me? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
too many case studies to learn!! i hate this exam.
Original post by Gary
Anyone have the January 2013 QP and MS they can share or send to me? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently we are not allowed to send each other the question paper or mark scheme according to someone on this thread :confused: I know, what a buzz kill...you have to ask your teacher I am afraid..:cool:
Original post by SamEastie

yeah I know, but if you just bullet point the relevant points its not so bad - I'm struggling to remember all the key facts - to be honest, the essay questions that got the highest marks are just full of case study knowledge :cool: arghhh
Reply 234
Original post by SamEastie

same! which topics you doing and which case studies?
Original post by Jade10128
same! which topics you doing and which case studies?

can I join? bored and fancy chatting about case study shizzle - I'm doing:

plate tectonics - case studies: mt etna, mt nyrigongo, boxing day tsunami (sorry for my originality) haiti and l'aquila

conflicts - case studies: orange revolution, kurdistan, palistinian israeli conflict, congo conflict and Afghanistan

ecostystems - sheffield blue loop, heather moorlands, rainforests (fragile environments) and deep water horizon :smile:

what about you? and yes, I still hardly know them - dear oh dear! and my originality is shocking....
Reply 236
can I join? bored and fancy chatting about case study shizzle - I'm doing:

plate tectonics - case studies: mt etna, mt nyrigongo, boxing day tsunami (sorry for my originality) haiti and l'aquila

conflicts - case studies: orange revolution, kurdistan, palistinian israeli conflict, congo conflict and Afghanistan

ecostystems - sheffield blue loop, heather moorlands, rainforests (fragile environments) and deep water horizon :smile:

what about you? and yes, I still hardly know them - dear oh dear! and my originality is shocking....

im only doing the tectonics option the same as you and im doing:
earthquakes- kashmir 2005, tohuku 2011
volcanoes- mnt st helens, etna montserrat
tsunami- boxing day indian ocean (i too am original) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade10128
im only doing the tectonics option the same as you and im doing:
earthquakes- kashmir 2005, tohuku 2011
volcanoes- mnt st helens, etna montserrat
tsunami- boxing day indian ocean (i too am original) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh I missed out Montserrat yet I have decided to only revise two volcanoe case studies as it seems more practical to know two well than three not so well :biggrin: How're things going for you? I have a mock tomorrow :frown: yarn..
Reply 238
oh I missed out Montserrat yet I have decided to only revise two volcanoe case studies as it seems more practical to know two well than three not so well :biggrin: How're things going for you? I have a mock tomorrow :frown: yarn..

I'm doing one LEDC and one MEDC in detail, then a couple of very general knowledge (just to drop them in the essay here and there as additionals)
I had my mock tectonics essay today, the structured questions on friday - I think it went ok, certainly not great though.
Revision is going ok, I know I shouldn't but I'm focusing slightly more on tectonics as I feel sure I will answer the 40 marker on that in the exam.
My other two topics are weather (which I find most difficult) and World Cities which is alright.
How is your revision going? And how are you going about it? :smile:
Anyone doing Ecosystems who could help answer a question on Psammoseres?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending