The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Lozb
Type in understanding standards on google and click on that, get to higher modern studies paper 1 examples and there's a 15/15 marked essay on there!

thankyou!
Reply 921
What's the likelihood of an essay coming up that is solely on gender or ethnicity (e.g (e.g 'Critically examine view that females are far more likely to suffer poverty') rather than one that focuses on both?
Reply 922
Original post by fjords
What's the likelihood of an essay coming up that is solely on gender or ethnicity (e.g (e.g 'Critically examine view that females are far more likely to suffer poverty') rather than one that focuses on both?

According to my teacher pretty unlikely, and gender / race came up last year so it probably won't feature in this years paper.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
:tongue: What did you get for Paper 2 and the other essays?
I got a B (66%) in the prelim, with a botched essay as well, 7/15, because I ran out of time, although I'm aiming for an A in this exam. :smile:

12/15, 13/15, 14/15, 5/15 haha and on paper 2 i got 24/30
Reply 924
anyone think government measures will come up for wealth and health??
Sorry guys, gave that STV vs FPTP essay to my teacher today, got 11/15 so not the best essay to learn off of :frown:

Going to put some emphasis on the DME tonight, really want as high as possible which would give me breathing space for essays.

27/30 would mean I'd need 8.5 for each essay, and I'm sure I can get at least two essays that get over 10 which would put me in a great position for an A! Not bothered if it is an A2, an A is an A!
Reply 926
Does anyone think the following will be in this years higher paper: immigration, American dream, UNIs or NGOs?

Original post by Lozb
My teacher told us to learn the following:

Decision making in central government- backbench mps v government, parliament v government, pressure groups, slsleaze

Voting systems- definitely a straight forward ams v fptp or pr v fptp

Health & Wealth- main causes of health and wealth inequalities, collectivist v individualist

USA- political progress for em's, how em's impact elections, American dream

Our teachers have been pretty good every year for predictions!

Hey! Thanks for the voting systems and decision making, and h +w! but any chance your teacher knows about China?
Reply 928
I'm looking over a DME I did before where I got 13/20 for the report. Teacher said "Bullet points probably too detailed and to improve your mark you should counter your criticisms". So when I putting across my arguements for whatever I support, do I need to make my point, then put a counter arguement to the point I support and then counter the counter arguement to my point? As thats what I'm picking up from what my teacher wrote. Sorry if thats confusing.
Reply 929
Original post by scotland_1
Hey! Thanks for the voting systems and decision making, and h +w! but any chance your teacher knows about China?

China is supposed to be Social and Economic change in China (Same question as analysising the move from state controlled economy to a market economy) or opposition to the CPC.

Also is collectivist vs individualist essay the same as role of government essay?
can someone tell me how to lay out To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?

i'm on queenmargret essay planning and it's basically a gender and race, but how do you structure it? Please elp' :smile:
Original post by hendycfc
I'm looking over a DME I did before where I got 13/20 for the report. Teacher said "Bullet points probably too detailed and to improve your mark you should counter your criticisms". So when I putting across my arguements for whatever I support, do I need to make my point, then put a counter arguement to the point I support and then counter the counter arguement to my point? As thats what I'm picking up from what my teacher wrote. Sorry if thats confusing.

We got given a plan

1 Role
1.1 remit
1.2 recommendation
2.1,.2,.3 Arguments for recommendation
3.1,.2,.3 Arguments against recommendation
4.1,.2,.3 Rebuttal e.g a way in which you can over come 3.1,.2.3 is..
Original post by Melanna
Does anyone think the following will be in this years higher paper: immigration, American dream, UNIs or NGOs?

I think it's likely to be either the influence of ethnic minorities on the outcome of elections, immigration, the American dream (social inequalities is basically the same) and for Africa I think there's a good chance of Qs on either UNIs or NGOs.
In a state where I am confident one minute, then ****ting myself the next! Just need to keep going!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scrabble96
How did you get an A? Was it lots of facts or well balanced points?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A bit of both to be honest. If you remember all your facts (statistics) the knowledge behind them should come naturally. In regards to balance, any essay has to be balanced so just make sure you have reasons from each point of view.

Good luck on Thursday!
Reply 935
Original post by SannaHussain
We got given a plan

1 Role
1.1 remit
1.2 recommendation
2.1,.2,.3 Arguments for recommendation
3.1,.2,.3 Arguments against recommendation
4.1,.2,.3 Rebuttal e.g a way in which you can over come 3.1,.2.3 is..

We have been taught to do it as

Title
Role
Remit
Recommendation
Main arguements for (Bulletpoints)
Main arguements againsnt (Bulletpoints)
Developed arguements for
Developed arguements against
Conclusion
Reply 936
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I think it's likely to be either the influence of ethnic minorities on the outcome of elections, immigration, the American dream (social inequalities is basically the same) and for Africa I think there's a good chance of Qs on either UNIs or NGOs.

I seriously hope so as I'm only learning UN and NGO for Africa.
Original post by Officegirl4
Quick question. I was off when we covered the welfare state, so what would you put in an essay for the government not meeting/meeting the original aims?

That question came up last year so it would be very unlikely that they would ask the same thing 2 years in a row. But basically look at society today and how it has changed in terms of benefits, housing, healthcare etc.
Original post by hendycfc
I seriously hope so as I'm only learning UN and NGO for Africa.

Thinking of doing that as well, given that trade came up last year and I do not know how to approach a social/economic Q.
How are you structuring your NGO essay? I have about 3 case studies to use as examples of how NGOs are encouraging development.
Reply 939
Health & Wealth
Wealth on health
Govt responses to wealth inequalities
China
Opposition to CPC
Social and economic change in China

USA
Ethnic minorities impact on elections
Social and economic change with minorities
Voting Systems and Voting Behavior
AMS vs FPTP
STV vs FPTP

Africa
NGO impact on development
UN impact on development

Basically thats all the ones I'm learning (Ones in underlined are the ones I've already learnt). It's nowhere near as much what others in this thread are learning but oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending