The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Beccabarrow
Yeh! :smile:

Thanks! And I saw you mention govt. policies to reduce wealth inequalities/poverty above. In my essay I had four paragraphs each of which focussing on a different vulnerable group (lone parents, children, unemployed, elderly) and included the various governments schemes to help them (NDLP, Child Tax Credit/Benefit, JSA, Winter Fuel Payment etc) as well as accessing the effectiveness of each.

I don't know if that's any good, but it was based on an essay I wrote that received 13/15.
OK, going to show you all the essays I'm aiming to know by the exam.

A1- Devolution impact on decision making for Scotland, to what extent has AMS created a more democratic Scotland
A4- STV/AMS vs FPTP
B5/B6- Income and Health, Govt policies to reduce poverty
C9- American Dream, influence of EMs in Elections

Anything else you guys recommend I should revise??
Reply 962
Original post by hendycfc
Both my UN and NGO essays are far too long and are only giving me 11 marks :frown:

I have know idea what those essays are but it is down to the fact that you are just going on and on about it. Essays have to be kept short and to the point.

A struggling student
Some people are saying that it is 45% for a C. It's not- it is 50%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 964
Does anyone know what sort of statistics and different policies we should take note of?

A struggling student
Original post by fjords
Thanks! And I saw you mention govt. policies to reduce wealth inequalities/poverty above. In my essay I had four paragraphs each of which focussing on a different vulnerable group (lone parents, children, unemployed, elderly) and included the various governments schemes to help them (NDLP, Child Tax Credit/Benefit, JSA, Winter Fuel Payment etc) as well as accessing the effectiveness of each.

I don't know if that's any good, but it was based on an essay I wrote that received 13/15.

Omg, thanks so much!
Original post by hendycfc
We have been taught to do it as

Title
Role
Remit
Recommendation
Main arguements for (Bulletpoints)
Main arguements againsnt (Bulletpoints)
Developed arguements for
Developed arguements against
Conclusion

We develop after stating the main argument for or against and then later on basically say you can over come arguments against.
Reply 967
It slightly worries me that all the NGO essays i've seen on here have been structured with a benefit or negative in each paragraph...

My teacher told us to have paragraphs that just focused on individual NGOs and then two short paragraphs on benefits/negatives...

Paragraph 1 - Christian Aid (project and effectiveness)
Paragraph 2 - Save The Children (project and effectiveness)
Paragraph 3 - Benefits of NGOs
Paragraph 4 - Negatives of NGOs

I think i'll have to do some rethinking! :s-smilie:
Reply 968
Does anyone have anyone UNO essays really need help with these !!!
Original post by fjords
It slightly worries me that all the NGO essays i've seen on here have been structured with a benefit or negative in each paragraph...

My teacher told us to have paragraphs that just focused on individual NGOs and then two short paragraphs on benefits/negatives...

Paragraph 1 - Christian Aid (project and effectiveness)
Paragraph 2 - Save The Children (project and effectiveness)
Paragraph 3 - Benefits of NGOs
Paragraph 4 - Negatives of NGOs

I think i'll have to do some rethinking! :s-smilie:

my teacher said that you can do either, I just happened to do them mixed! Don't worry :smile:
Original post by 2013exams

I'm about to write out an essay plan, although it may take half an hour or so. :smile:
For the rebuttal in the DME, do we have to come up with fresh arguments against the proposal...or do we just use the ones used originally?
Reply 972
Ladymarshmallow could you please post it on this or send it to me :smile: Thank you very much :biggrin:!!!
Reply 973
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Is anyone else just learning voting system and the American dream as one essay? That's what I'm doing, and my teacher said that I should exemplify on the constitutional rights of American citizens in addition to that when doing the dream essay.

Voting system? I'm kind of confused, what do you mean? I thought the American Dream essay was just about social / economic inequalities?!
Original post by skier16
Voting system? I'm kind of confused, what do you mean? I thought the American Dream essay was just about social / economic inequalities?!

Arghhh...no, I'm sorry. I meant to say social and economic inequalities. :colondollar:
My mind must have been wandering. Sorry if I caused a mini heart attack.
Forgive me. :biggrin:

I don't know if this is the right way to go about it, but basically I'm writing 4 paragraphs each focusing on an individual agency and then linking the work of these agencies to the Millenium Development Goals, i.e. giving examples of where the agencies have and have not been effective. I'm afraid I've not actually written an essay on this topic, but I'm making a mind map for it. :smile:
Reply 976
Do you guys think for USA its more likey to be immigration or Ethnic influence on vote as its only come up once in the last 5 years compared to Powers of the president and Social and economic inequalities cause that's similar to the American Dream question. So is it necessary to learn something about Social and economic inequalities and government policies to reduce these?
Do you guys think for USA its more likey to be immigration or Ethnic influence on vote as its only come up once in the last 5 years compared to Powers of the president and Social and economic inequalities cause that's similar to the American Dream question. So is it necessary to learn something about Social and economic inequalities and government policies to reduce these?

you will need to know social and economic inequalities if a question like american dream came up but not knowledge of government policies reducing them because that Q came up 2 years ago.
The question will most likely the two you guessed or political progress :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 978
Thanks JessicaLee123 . :smile:
Reply 979
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Arghhh...no, I'm sorry. I meant to say social and economic inequalities. :colondollar:
My mind must have been wandering. Sorry if I caused a mini heart attack.
Forgive me. :biggrin:

ahh okay that makes more sense! I did almost have a panic attack there :biggrin:
In answer to your question yes, that's what I'm doing.

We've all clearly got voting systems on the brain... Modern studies will drive me mad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending