The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
And quelle surprise once all the braindead fans got off his back Benitez has put together a very tidy run with the Chelsea side.

If you'd of done this a month earlier you might of had a chance at 2nd.
Original post by Zerforax
Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has hit back at his own player Pepe after the defender said his manager ought to have more respect for club captain Iker Casillas. Mourinho believes Pepe's main problem is the fact he is behind 20-year-old defender Raphael Varane in the pecking order.

I saw this, and read some of the comments, from what I believe was a Dutch newspaper. Although it sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy theory, apparently this outburst is to get Madrid to fire him, therefore making a compensation payout from Chelsea innaposite.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
How good is KDB? Heard a lot about him, but never seen him play. If you lot signed Benteke and kept him that would be some team.

I don't think there's any point in having both Lukaku and Benteke in our team. Personally I'm happy with recalling Lukaku, I think we can start using him from next season. And with all this Schurrle pre-contract agreement rumours flying around it probably means we'll be offloading Torres somehow.

De Bruyne has been doing really well at Bremen, I think they want him next season as well. I'm still not sure if he'd make the starting XI if he came back, but he would certainly offer better depth on the wings than Moses and Marin.

[video="youtube;4EoG5s49jTI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoG5s49jTI[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by billybo_h
I saw this, and read some of the comments, from what I believe was a Dutch newspaper. Although it sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy theory, apparently this outburst is to get Madrid to fire him, therefore making a compensation payout from Chelsea innaposite.

Madrid are far too smart to fire him now.. He'll leave in the summer and won't be short on suitors but his contract has value, even if Madrid decide they want him gone.

Why would Madrid forego the 10mil+ they can get from the club which wants to hire Mourinho?
Well, I could suggest some things he could do to get fired.

I don't think his relationship will be as good with the Chelsea players this time around. There are a lot of new faces, Mourinho has his obvious favourites and wants to be worshipped from day one.

He won't be able to say a bad word about Abramovich or he'll get fired again so he'll lash out at a lot of other people.

What's to say he won't be worshipped by the majority of the dressing room? He has amazing man management, and the only players that have enough power to damage the manager is Lampard, Terry, Cech and Cole. And they all seem to love him.

As for Abramovich, well....unfortunately that man is ticking time bomb with his managers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1966
Original post by L18
And quelle surprise once all the braindead fans got off his back Benitez has put together a very tidy run with the Chelsea side.

If you'd of done this a month earlier you might of had a chance at 2nd.

He started winning, the fans were still giving him stick, but up until that point he'd done an average at best job. Lost the plot in the league, lost the CWC, lost the COC and scraped past Brentford and Boro in the FA Cup.
Madrid are far too smart to fire him now.. He'll leave in the summer and won't be short on suitors but his contract has value, even if Madrid decide they want him gone.

Why would Madrid forego the 10mil+ they can get from the club which wants to hire Mourinho?

I said I believed it was a conspiracy - I certainly don't believe it would have an effect upon him being fired, though it may potentially lower the compensation. I believe Madrid have got Presidential elections coming up as well, and that could tie in heavily with any potential sacking; the new President (if there is to be one) could want to get rid of him as soon as possible.

But like you said, it certainly won't do him any favours if he does badly with us. His man-management approach may come under scrutiny due to his obvious player baiting, ruling out quite a few jobs that he would have walked into previously.
Mourinho is obviously a fantastic manager but its hard to deny that the Real as a club were too big for his liking. He seems to need to be Cesar at a club and that was never really going to fly at RM.
Reply 1970
Original post by billybo_h
I said I believed it was a conspiracy - I certainly don't believe it would have an effect upon him being fired, though it may potentially lower the compensation. I believe Madrid have got Presidential elections coming up as well, and that could tie in heavily with any potential sacking; the new President (if there is to be one) could want to get rid of him as soon as possible.

But like you said, it certainly won't do him any favours if he does badly with us. His man-management approach may come under scrutiny due to his obvious player baiting, ruling out quite a few jobs that he would have walked into previously.

Funnily enough mourinho was interviewed for the barcelona job. He was also barca's assistant manager and even managed in bobby robsons cup games...
So what's everyone's opinion on a new stadium? I loved the Battersea power station design but unfortunately that's long gone. How bad do you think the short-time effects would be if we did manage to move? Because it's not like we're problem-free right now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Who cares about where our stadium is. As long as Jose Mourinho comes, I'm sure we will set a title challenge next season if not close the gap majorly. If he comes, I'm sure he will bring back all of our big loaned players like Lukaku and De Bruyne but also not play players like Torres when he's clearly out of form. I heard Abromovtich say he would offer Jose 100 million to spend if he were to come? We don't even need to spend much more than 30 million on a good striker.
Original post by cleveradam
Who cares about where our stadium is. As long as Jose Mourinho comes, I'm sure we will set a title challenge next season if not close the gap majorly. If he comes, I'm sure he will bring back all of our big loaned players like Lukaku and De Bruyne but also not play players like Torres when he's clearly out of form. I heard Abromovtich say he would offer Jose 100 million to spend if he were to come? We don't even need to spend much more than 30 million on a good striker.

You can't be serious, right? You know if we wish to expand as a club we'll likely need to move stadiums? Just like Arsenal have. And it's some conversation away from the usual managerial/player talk...
Original post by The Assassin
So what's everyone's opinion on a new stadium? I loved the Battersea power station design but unfortunately that's long gone. How bad do you think the short-time effects would be if we did manage to move? Because it's not like we're problem-free right now.

looked epic, would have been seriously jelly had you built the one at Battersea. Loved the single tier 'Dortmund style' stands and the unique power station look.

Finding a site will be insane though and you might even have to think about Putney, Wandsworth etc as you're not going to find a site in Fulham(know it pretty well and cant think of a single candidate). Stamford Bridge strikes me as a stadium that can be easily expanded though, at least to 50k which would probably do as Chelsea would struggle to get more than that, even in the big games.

Depends if uncle Roman pays for it or not. If he does then as usual Chelsea go scot free.
Reply 1975
Watching the City vs West Brom game, Lukaku's had three decent shots on target in the first 5 minutes.
Original post by cleveradam

Abramovich wont be at Chelsea forever. Chelsea need to generate their own income supplemented by a owner providing his own funding to a transfer budget. The club itself is not making enough profit to stop heavy investment from the owner. A new stadium will boost revenue from corporate boxes, corporate events, season ticket holders and regular fans. Sponsors will want to invest and Chelsea's International profile will increase.
Reply 1977
Looking at Google Earth at the stadium you can see the lack of development site they have to work with. The only thing I can think of is perhaps moving the East stand back over the train line, with the lower stand being pushed back. It won't happen though because their's a cemetry the other side and chances are it won't change the capacity much.

Best hope may be this Malaysian resedential scheme at Battersea failing and it beeing up for sale again in a few years time. Can't see why thy picked it over Chelsea tbh seeing as through football ot would definetly work.
Original post by Musester
Looking at Google Earth at the stadium you can see the lack of development site they have to work with. The only thing I can think of is perhaps moving the East stand back over the train line, with the lower stand being pushed back. It won't happen though because their's a cemetry the other side and chances are it won't change the capacity much.

Best hope may be this Malaysian resedential scheme at Battersea failing and it beeing up for sale again in a few years time. Can't see why thy picked it over Chelsea tbh seeing as through football ot would definetly work.

Demolish Chelsea village hotel and stick an extra tier behind the goal. That'll be worth 10,000 seats .
Reply 1979
I'm calling it now.

Mourinho'll be Utd manager by August.

Latest