The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by homefind
Check out his channel, pretty useful stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm very nice :biggrin:
Anyone have ideas what the case studies will be on rivers, coasts, population and energy don't really know what to expect. Also do you think a question on chinas one child policy will come up , it's not in the green cgp aqa book
Original post by JLKeating
I'm doing Rivers, Glaciation, Population and Energy Issues :redface:

same - is it just me finding the energy topic so so horrible? it like, changes every day!
I am so poor at periglaciation if anyone has any links to pointers etc. about it (in terms of landforms: pingos etc.) then that would be super helpful :biggrin:
Original post by MAGNeticattITUDE
I am so poor at periglaciation if anyone has any links to pointers etc. about it (in terms of landforms: pingos etc.) then that would be super helpful :biggrin:

http://coolgeography.co.uk/A-level/AQA/Year%2012/Cold%20environs/Cold%20envs%20main.htm
My geog teacher said she spoke with the chief examinar, and on the 15 markers they always presume the student is right (with case study knowledge) unless it's ridiculous
Original post by Alex-Torres
My geog teacher said she spoke with the chief examinar, and on the 15 markers they always presume the student is right (with case study knowledge) unless it's ridiculous

Yes my teacher told the same thing. They wont ever check your figures unless its stupid. Like in Boscastle if you put 50,000 people died...
Original post by lucasluke
Yes my teacher told the same thing. They wont ever check your figures unless its stupid. Like in Boscastle if you put 50,000 people died...

I think thats good, because it shouldn't be a test of what you can remember, more so that you have an idea of geographical events etc. Once you leave that exam hall you'll forget all those pointless facts like there was 2.5 inches of rainfall etc, so they're useless really
Reply 428
retaking this exam and i've pretty much done no revision so i'm fvcked :'( i literally know nothing. definitely gonna fail again fml.
all my classmates are fully pooing(are we allowed to swear?) themselves about the case studies and I really am chilled about not knowing a hell of a lot about any of them really, I know them all briefly, but i think its more important to know all the core knowledge
got an A last year, feel free to ask for any tips or advice!
Reply 431
Original post by Daniel George

Hey! When revising, did you focus on the case studies or the core stuff? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
is there any point in trying to buy a few marks with waffle? Or just adding some logical things to an answer in the hope that it gives some marks?
Original post by Jaydude
Hey! When revising, did you focus on the case studies or the core stuff? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MAGNeticattITUDE
is there any point in trying to buy a few marks with waffle? Or just adding some logical things to an answer in the hope that it gives some marks?

firsdtly, I focused on both core stuff and case studies - this is key, as both balance the other to make a good argument!! and you have to know both elements!

oh and waffling is the worst you can do, keep your answer to the point and logical!!!! read example 15 mark answers - they are short, sweet, precise and straight to the point!!!!! that is how you will get full marks!
Reply 434
What sort of percentage is it usually to get an A?
Original post by LucyQ

80% in UMS
Original post by Alex-Torres

They do that for all questions, due to how the papers are marked, to check every case study would take to long.
Original post by LucyQ

Its about 60%
Original post by LucyQ

Here are Jan 2013 grade boundaries
Original post by Cat123456
same - is it just me finding the energy topic so so horrible? it like, changes every day!

Where did you get 15 mark example answers from? :biggrin: And tips to memorise everything? I've got river landforms and stuff on coasts still to do?
How much detail we looking for 15 markers on physical geography, not human, i know human is a lot more stats. :smile:
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending