The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
I've not evaluated him at all though, I've not said he's a scrub or anything.

Just from the impression, he seems to come from the new class of someone able to 50 yards to tne end zone ans all of a sudden, people start dickriding them. For someone that's recieving the amount of hype he's getting- definetly more than Luck who was deemed NFL ready 2 seasons before he went for the draft- I would've liked to see a few bone fide quaterback plays rather than seeing a 50 yard runs.

An impression that could have been easily applied to Cam Newton. And he worked out fairly well.
The thing I like about Manziel is a gunslinger mentality paired with some pure football instict. I mean look at that kid escaping pressure - looks like good ol' Doug Flutie. He can sling it, he can run it... I don't think he has nearly the potential Luck had, but I do think Manziel is gonna be a fantastic QB for whichever team drafts him because he makes plays. Watch the Alabama game. That defense is spitting out NFL-ready talent, but they didn't stand a chance.
As far as "bona fide QB play" is concerned... we all saw a player like Colin Kaepernick go to the Super Bowl.
Manziel is definitely not the best QB in the upcoming draft class. Bridgewater is. For all we know Manziel could be figured out next year. He definitely needs to bulk up though which i think hes doing. Logan Thomas has the prototype NFL size and such but does he translate? Taj Boyd is another interesting one. Then of course there's AJ McCaron who just wins. Aaron Murray of Georgia could be in the mix as well. Besides couldn't Manziel stay for another year if he wants to try win a national championship.

Tell you what though if we can't win this season i want to tank and be able to pick up Jason Verrett the dude is flat out lock down.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6102
Original post by 419
So wanted to see if all the hype about Johny Football is justified.

Saw one youtube video had him basically running for the whole 7 minutes. Is that all he is? A running back playing quaterback. Man I hate running quaterbacks.

Not impressed.

Na he is a good passer too very accurate but not a great arm he is a proper dual threat
Original post by Malevolent
Manziel is definitely not the best QB in the upcoming draft class. Bridgewater is. For all we know Manziel could be figured out next year. He definitely needs to bulk up though which i think hes doing. Logan Thomas has the prototype NFL size and such but does he translate? Taj Boyd is another interesting one. Then of course there's AJ McCaron who just wins. Aaron Murray of Georgia could be in the mix as well. Besides couldn't Manziel stay for another year if he wants to try win a national championship.

Yeah, next years QB class is really good. I'm loving Boyd and Bridgewater... Jury's still out on McCaron, sure, he wins, but so did Greg McElroy. That being said, McCaron definitely had a fantastic season. If he can repeat that, he's probably worth a first round selection.
If Murray can polish his awful decision making and keep a 65% accuracy... good lord, he could throw deep balls all Sunday long.
Original post by ProgFeanor
Yeah, next years QB class is really good. I'm loving Boyd and Bridgewater... Jury's still out on McCaron, sure, he wins, but so did Greg McElroy. That being said, McCaron definitely had a fantastic season. If he can repeat that, he's probably worth a first round selection.
If Murray can polish his awful decision making and keep a 65% accuracy... good lord, he could throw deep balls all Sunday long.

Yeah man next years QB class is awesome which is why i thought the Bills were stupid to spend a first rounder on Manuel. Should have spent the 2013 first rounder on the best player not a QB in an awful class. McCaron i wish was like a 3rd or 4th so the Patriots could breed him into succeeding TB12.

I really like Boyd as well.
Apparently Gronkowski looking good. May not need that surgery again which would be amazing news!

Also off topic apparently TB12 put 4700 on Orb to win the Kentucky derby which it did.
If you like pure passing QBs, David Fales may be someone to keep tabs on. He even had negative total Rushing yards last season.
If you watch him play, a couple of things that are immediately recognizable are his powerful "slinger" throwing motion, excellent footwork when throwing on the run and the fact that he keeps his eyes down the field until the very last second instead of tucking it in and running with it.
The Stanford tape shows pretty well what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riq0GQOefMA

There are things he has to do better, but he looks like a good pro prospect that could make things happen behind a sub-par offensive line (like SJSU's).
Reply 6107
If you like pure passing QBs, David Fales may be someone to keep tabs on. He even had negative total Rushing yards last season.
If you watch him play, a couple of things that are immediately recognizable are his powerful "slinger" throwing motion, excellent footwork when throwing on the run and the fact that he keeps his eyes down the field until the very last second instead of tucking it in and running with it.
The Stanford tape shows pretty well what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riq0GQOefMA

There are things he has to do better, but he looks like a good pro prospect that could make things happen behind a sub-par offensive line (like SJSU's).

Damn, if only his wideouts could catch better haha. I watched the SJSU bowl game in Jan and liked what i saw. I swear he's like top 3 ranked nationally in completion percentage?
The more i watch tape on CK the more intrigued i am with him... I think hes got the highest potential of Wilson, RGIII and himself. I've never seen someone like him.

He has speed, scrambling ability, hes tall and hes got an absolute rocket arm. No one in the NFL i can remember has all those traits. Perhaps the cerebral side of the game he may not be the complete but thats something he can develop over time. The physical traits you can't.
Edelman hurt his foot again will miss mini camp training...

Raise your hand if your surprised :laugh:
Reply 6110
The more i watch tape on CK the more intrigued i am with him... I think hes got the highest potential of Wilson, RGIII and himself. I've never seen someone like him.

He has speed, scrambling ability, hes tall and hes got an absolute rocket arm. No one in the NFL i can remember has all those traits. Perhaps the cerebral side of the game he may not be the complete but thats something he can develop over time. The physical traits you can't.

I personally think it'll be Wilson out the three :ninja: Really like the look him. Those two are going to keep getting better. RGIII we just don't know how he's going to come back...

Edelman hurt his foot again will miss mini camp training...

Raise your hand if your surprised :laugh:

:itsme:

Spoiler

Original post by R-KAM
I personally think it'll be Wilson out the three :ninja: Really like the look him. Those two are going to keep getting better. RGIII we just don't know how he's going to come back...

Spoiler

Nah I think Wilson is bottom of those three. He has the most stacked team but i just don't see him above CK or RGIII. RGIII would be the best pure passer needs to stop running though if he want's to have a career. His body just can't take that punishment with his frame.

And shut your mouth :tongue:
Reply 6112
Original post by R-KAM

Spoiler

Nah I think Wilson is bottom of those three. He has the most stacked team but i just don't see him above CK or RGIII. RGIII would be the best pure passer needs to stop running though if he want's to have a career. His body just can't take that punishment with his frame.

Ah love-hate relationships:h: I'm rooting for you two!

RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick or Andy Luck? :beard:

Also, how good do you guys think Ryan Tannehill is?
Original post by Zubby77

Luck, and it's not even close.
Reply 6114

We'll see. Go team Wilson! :colonhash:

Yeah, RGIII certainly just has to stop his running game I think. He won't last much longer if he doesn't.
Original post by Zubby77

Also, how good do you guys think Ryan Tannehill is?

Tannehill I think is nothing more then decent will never reach elite or that level under elite.

Andrew Luck definitely. Definitely has the hardest playbook of the 4. The other 3 playbooks are much easier.

I go Luck, Kaepernick, RGIII,Wilson. A lot of it depends though is RGIII going to stop running so much.

Original post by R-KAM
We'll see. Go team Wilson! :colonhash:

Yeah, RGIII certainly just has to stop his running game I think. He won't last much longer if he doesn't.

He can run a bit but not so much. He actually is a very good pure passer and has an absolute cannon arm so if he can stop scrambling so much he will last.
Reply 6116
Luck, and it's not even close.

This.
Original post by 419
This.

Colts going from Manning to Luck. "How Lucky" ! :colone:
Reply 6118
Oh dear. :facepalm2:

:tongue:
Colts going from Manning to Luck. "How Lucky" ! :colone:

As a Texans fan, I must say it's really, really not fair.

Latest