The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
I'm expecting his successor to be Moyes myself, though I'm not entirely convinced he's up to it. :holmes: Do United fans actually want Mourinho given his image, philosophy and history with Chelsea? I've said before that I wouldn't want him at Arsenal, and I thought most United fans would feel the same way. :dontknow:

Rather have Mourinho than Moyes. Moyes is too uninspired.

Even though Mourinho is a risk i trust him to actually make a success of it.

SSN saying Moyes is classed as a long term manager, respects Uniteds heritage, is 'cut from the same cloth' as Ferguson and Busby.

Everything is pointing towards him, and that's disappointing. If this happens i don't think i'll have very high hopes for next season.
Stunned. Absolutely stunned. Sunday is gonna be so emotional. Feel like crying tbh, thanks for everything Fergie :cry2:
Signs point towards Moyes.
Whilst I think Man U should go for Jose, and I do actually think Jose would stick around at Man U for a long time if he got the job, the appointment of Moyes would not be a disaster either. He is a very good manager who has done fantastically well on a small budget.
Indeed, Moyes could potentially do well - he could bring players like Baines with him as well which I'm sure you would like... :redface:
I'm so sorry guys :frown: Wish you all the best for whoever takes charge.
Pressure on the next manager is going to be like nothing else imaginable, I like Moyes but he's never managed a top club, never had any money to spend and has no European experience, really don't think he has what it takes. Jose is good enough to come in and hit the ground running, as well as having enough od a reputation to get a little bit of breathing space from the fans. If Moyes comes in and we go on a bad run at the start of next season then I think the fans will turn on him very quickly.
Surely the replacement that Sir Alex has in mind must be deserving of being the manager of Manchester United whether it be Moyes or Mourinho Sir Alex would know what's best for United.
Reckon we'll get one big signing ala Bale this summer, the new Managers is going to need that 'oomph' to raise his chances, make the team look like its progressing etc.
I hope Jose comes this way although he has never really been with a club for a lengthy duration. United have done really well because of the stability they've had I feel.
Mourinho for two years and then Klopp?

My money is on Mourinho over Moyes anyway.
Reply 3531
Ehh that awkward moment when David Cameron offers praise.
Reply 3532
Cannot believe it, Klopp, Solksjaer, Mourinho and theeeeen Moyes for me.

We love you Fergie
Reply 3533
Original post by Tommyjw
I guess that includes community shield?

BBC posted this..I guess this is the correct one? Dunno.

Sir Alex Ferguson's all-time Manchester United record (from 06/11/1986):

Played: 1604

Won: 965

Drawn: 360

Lost: 279
If Man City beat Wigan in FA cup final then the new managers first game would be a Manchester derby which would be a cracking start to your career with Manchester United.
Reply 3535
Is it crazy to suggest Carlos Queiroz? If I recall, his stint at Real Madrid didn't end well, nor was he great at Portugal, so perhaps he works better behind someone. But I feel Fergie will select someone he's worked with, so all these Moyes, Mourinho, Klopp etc suggestions strike me as being somewhat unlikely. There's not a lot of choice beyond that, unlikely to see a Bruce/Hughes/Robson kind of appointment, or Mike Phelan getting the role! What a dilemma, the man is irreplaceable. Completely shocked he's leaving, especially after saying he had no intention of doing so a few days ago. Honestly thought he'd die there.
Reply 3536
Bet they give Phelan the job or something lol.

I honestly wouldn't mind giving Mourinho a short-term/ish stint whilst we find a full on long-term replacement.
Arsenal fan here paying my respects, sorry for your loss Ferguson is a once in a lifetime manager and it was a bittersweet pleasure battling him for those years when Wenger was able to keep up.

Original post by Idle
I would take a manager who stayed around for 5 years and won 3 premier leagues, a european trophy and some domestic silverware

You're about to get a bit of a wake up call. Titles and cups don't just fall into a teams hands the way Fergie made it look like they do.
Reply 3538
Moyes contract runs out this summer, whereas it would take a sizeable compensation package to get Mourinho.

Moyes is frontrunner by the bookies. I mean he's 50 years old, so he'd bring 15-20 years of stability. But his lack of Champions League experience is a distinct limitation.
Reply 3539
Original post by KissMyArsene
You're about to get a bit of a wake up call. Titles and cups don't just fall into a teams hands the way Fergie made it look like they do.

We have a cracking young team and a sizable budget for the replacement it seems. If we get a proven world class manager there is no reason we could not continue in the same fashion once they bed themselves in, if we get Moyes I fear the odd piece of domestic silverware.

Latest