The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6BIO1 ~ 21th May 2013 ~ AS Biology

This thread is for the upcoming Biology unit 1 exam. Discuss/ask questions/answer questions and clear doubts here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for starting the thread! (Y)

could you explain this please? sd.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by SKK94
Thanks for starting the thread! (Y)

could you explain this please? sd.jpg

The only thing I'm sure of is that the primary structure will be altered, so it cannot be D for sure.

Where is this question from? :0
Reply 3
Original post by Relaxedexams
The only thing I'm sure of is that the primary structure will be altered, so it cannot be D for sure.

Where is this question from? :0

Just found the answer. It's C.
But that implies the quarternary structure isn't altered (if primary is altered, wont't quarternary also be altered?)

Its a Cambridge AS paper :tongue:
(I had many doubts in it)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SKK94
Just found the answer. It's C.
But that implies the quarternary structure isn't altered (if primary is altered, wont't quarternary also be altered?)

Its a Cambridge AS paper :tongue:
(I had many doubts in it)

Yea, if the primary structure is altered, pretty much every other structure will also get altered. Wonder why quaternary structure is unchanged :confused:
Reply 5
Oh, I see you've got your physics exam tomorrow. Good luck with that!
Reply 6
Original post by SKK94
Oh, I see you've got your physics exam tomorrow. Good luck with that!

Thanks! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you guys think this paper will focus on more?
Reply 8
Original post by studentno666
What do you guys think this paper will focus on more?

Not really sure. Have you tried the Jan 2013 paper yet?
They probably may not repeat any big topics already covered in that paper.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Is there a difference between an atheroma and plaque??
Reply 10
Original post by Relaxedexams
Yea, if the primary structure is altered, pretty much every other structure will also get altered. Wonder why quaternary structure is unchanged :confused:

I think the reason the quaternary structure isn't altered is because many proteins only have a quaternary structure if they have more than one polypeptide chain. On this question they only talk about one so you assume that the protein doesn't have a quaternary structure. As a result only the primary, secondary and tertiary structure is altered. I'm not entirely sure if this is correct tho
Reply 11
Can someone please explain to me everything we need to know about meselson's and stahl's study and what it shows about DNA replication.
Reply 12
Original post by SKK94
Is there a difference between an atheroma and plaque??

A plaque is a hardened atheroma
Original post by Savanii
Can someone please explain to me everything we need to know about meselson's and stahl's study and what it shows about DNA replication.

Hey here follow this link. Hope the vid helps. If not i dnt knw how to explain try youtube maybe or read the new txt book it really helps
http://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/evolution-and-natural-selection :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Savanii
A plaque is a hardened atheroma

Oh, so basically an atheroma is just fatty deposits before they harden, and once they harden, they are referred to as plaque?
Reply 15
Original post by SKK94
Oh, so basically an atheroma is just fatty deposits before they harden, and once they harden, they are referred to as plaque?

Yup, an atheroma is a fatty deposit. Eventually calcium salts and fibrous tissue builds up around the atheroma causing it to harden. This hardened atheroma is a plaque. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Kurraiyo
Yup, an atheroma is a fatty deposit. Eventually calcium salts and fibrous tissue builds up around the atheroma causing it to harden. This hardened atheroma is a plaque. :smile:

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Hey guys hows everyone feeling about this exam?
Can someone answer the following questions for me, struggling a bit on the topic of tissue fluid.:colondollar:

Explain how the structure of a capillary is related to the formation of tissue fluid? (3)

Suggest why proteins are present in the plasma but are not normally present in tissue fluid (2)

Tissue fluid is reabsorbed back into capillaries as a result of the osmotic effect of the plasma proteins. Suggest why this reabsorption is reduced in a person on a protein deficient diet.(2)
Reply 18
Original post by 6171
Hey guys hows everyone feeling about this exam?
Can someone answer the following questions for me, struggling a bit on the topic of tissue fluid.:colondollar:

Explain how the structure of a capillary is related to the formation of tissue fluid? (3)

Suggest why proteins are present in the plasma but are not normally present in tissue fluid (2)

Tissue fluid is reabsorbed back into capillaries as a result of the osmotic effect of the plasma proteins. Suggest why this reabsorption is reduced in a person on a protein deficient diet.(2)

From which paper did you get these questions ?
Reply 19
Does anyone have the jan 2013 paper for unit 1?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending