The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scrabble96
What UK government policies have reduced poverty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The search button is your friend. :yes:
Reply 1101
Original post by fjords
An essay plan would be wonderful if it's not too much hassle! :-)

I lost the original post..was the question what has government done to reduce health inequalities?
Original post by hollie.w
I lost the original post..was the question what has government done to reduce health inequalities?

Smoking ban, hungry for success, alcohol adverts eg the one with the smoke strangling a baby
What UK government policies have reduced poverty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Winter Fuel Payments, Tax Credits, NMW etc etc
I currently have NGO and UN essay plans for Africa...is it still worth doing a trade vs aid plan even though it came up last year?
You all do your income and health essays differently to me.. I do paragraphs on Diet, Access to Health Care and Social Class... Got a good mark for it though so I'm not changing!
Original post by KeeKeeDee
You all do your income and health essays differently to me.. I do paragraphs on Diet, Access to Health Care and Social Class... Got a good mark for it though so I'm not changing!

I've been doing a paragraph on income and relate it to diet, and then a paragraph on lifestyle choices and relate it to smoking, but say that those on a lower income are more likely to smoke, and then a final paragraph on geography and relate it to life expectancy, hospitalisation rates etc, and then link that back to income.

I dunno how that would be marked, and if I'm even approaching it the right way, but oh well
How are you guys revising? Looking at past papers, writing essays...

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you guys revising? Looking at past papers, writing essays...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Writing out essay plans is the way to go, for me
Could someone please for the love of god show me how to structure an ETHNIC MINORITY INFLUENCE ON VOTE ESSAY.
Original post by youjustburnkid
I've been doing a paragraph on income and relate it to diet, and then a paragraph on lifestyle choices and relate it to smoking, but say that those on a lower income are more likely to smoke, and then a final paragraph on geography and relate it to life expectancy, hospitalisation rates etc, and then link that back to income.

I dunno how that would be marked, and if I'm even approaching it the right way, but oh well

I do the same as you basically! I just do diet linked to income, exercise linked to income, alcohol and smoking linked to income and then geography linked to income and i got a good mark on it.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I currently have NGO and UN essay plans for Africa...is it still worth doing a trade vs aid plan even though it came up last year?

Im just revising NGO's and the UN xx
what is the likelihood of political progress/under representation coming up in America?
Reply 1113
Original post by JessicaLee123
what is the likelihood of political progress/under representation coming up in America?

Fairly high I think.
Reply 1114
Original post by JackoGeddes
AMG PLZ

Ethnic minorities influencing voting in the UK?
Original post by skier16
Fairly high I think.

oh man whyd you think that? i better revise it more then lol

What would you put in that essay?
@jackogeddes

Original post by confused!
i've just made a plan for a question that goes by the lines of: "to what extent do ethnic minorities affect the outcome of elections."

intro

by 2050, 60% will be an ethnic minority.

they play a large part in the outcome of elections

democrats = younger gen. Republicans = older gen.

para 1 (blacks)

typically democrat voters

around 68% were registered voters in 2008 but now 59% in 2012 elections

95% voted for democrats in 2008, 93% in 2012.

over 13.5% of population is black in usa

58% of the registered voters turned out to vote for the democrats

barack obama is black and is known to have the most ethnically diverse cabinet in us politics

mostly democrats due to colour, culture and welfare benefits.

however, yearly the republicans try and gain votes.

para 2 (hispanics)

parties spend millions advertising in spanish (it’s the second language of the states)

the hispanic population weren’t interested as much in us politics until proposition 187 which was

40% of california is known to be from a hispanic background

cubans are usually rich where as mexicans are poorer and live in varrio’s.

hispanics are also usually democrats, 67% in 2008 and 58% in 2012.

10% of voters were hispanic 7% for democrats

para 3 (asian americans)

71% of the asian american population voted for democrats in 2012.

they accounted for 3% of the overall vote

there were 3.2m votes for obama and 900k for romney.

account for 4.8% of the population in the usa.

para 4 (native americans)

native americans account for 1% of the population.

they make a fractional difference to the votes.

tend to vote democrats aswell.

conclusion

it is clear that ethnic minorities have a large influence on election outcomes as it was clearly shown in 2012.

side notes

- proposition 187 (california) was put in place to prevent illegal immigrants from using healthcare, education and other social services.
Reply 1118
oh man whyd you think that? i better revise it more then lol

Because it's something they've never asked before even though it's a question that does exist; it was our prelim question!:frown:
Original post by Confused!
@jackogeddes

thank you very very much, been sivving through pages looking for that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending