The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by weejackie10
How many pages do you's wrote? 22.5 minutes is more a test of how fast you can write rather than your ability in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally 2 pages, sometimes 2 and a half but when that happens I normally spend more than 22.5 minutes.
Original post by KeeKeeDee
63 is an A2 (70%) isn't it?

forgot it was out of 90 !! Silly me, sorry x
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Lack of ethnic minority representation in congress, such as the fact that there are currently no black senators. To counter that argument, you could then mention an influential politician of ethnic origin, for example, Kamala Harris is the first female and mixed south-Asian/Africa American to be elected California's attorney general and has had great success in targeting human trafficking, gun use, immigrant rights, etc in CA.
You could, of course, use the example of Obama.

That's just an idea, and I've probably waffled too much. :s-smilie:

Thank you, great help! We've only done influence on elections, A. Dream, immigration, social and economic, govt policies to reduce social and economic and touched on powers of the president but I didn't know you could get a participation essay :frown:
Original post by JessicaLee123
How many people are revising for Voting behaviour?

Not me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by singstar42
forgot it was out of 90 !! Silly me, sorry x

Our teacher got all excited when she looked at the grade boundaries from last year, but I pointed out that it's marked out of 90. :cool:
I feel like I'm focusing way too much on essays and not on the DME, but tbh, I normally already have the background knowledge for it that just comes to me when I write. Any last minute tips for the report?! :smile:
Individual lifestyle choice limits health more than any other factor discuss. Here's my plan.

Intro: There is little doubt that personal lifestyle choice plays an important role in health however there are perhaps other influences deriving from social class position of people, neighbourhood the live in and hereditary factors.

Para1: -smoking cigarettes, 26% of scots still smoke 24% of all deaths in scotland in 2004 were attributable of smoking.
-89.5 of lung cancer deaths - smoking.
- Scotland is engulfed with a 'deep fried' culture leading to bad health.
- Scotland labeled as the 'sick man of Europe' with 40% of population obese in 2011.

Para 2: social class.
-The WHO report 2008 on world health identified that the Calton area of Glasgow had the lowest life expectancy in the developed world at 53.9.
- Compare that to Lenzie 80.3 clearly a problem as where you live has a massive impact on your life expectancy.
- Achieson put forward a simple formula which echoed the black report: 'the lower ones social class the more likely you are to suffer from ill health and die prematurely'
-social class 6,7,8 more likely to die from the three main killers than wealthy counterparts.

Para 3 : Hereditary factors
- cystic fibrosis is one of the most common leading to an elderly death.
-passed down through family.
-simply not the main factor.

Conclusion: although personal lifestyle choice is important in affecting health it is the socio- economic group that you belong to which affects health most.

Hope that helps you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beccabarrow
Not me!

you not worried that it may come up? man im freaking lol
Original post by JessicaLee123
you not worried that it may come up? man im freaking lol

yeah I'm really worried :frown: but there's only so much we can do and I can remember my essay from the prelim, it's just the media i know nothing on :/
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Lack of ethnic minority representation in congress, such as the fact that there are currently no black senators. To counter that argument, you could then mention an influential politician of ethnic origin, for example, Kamala Harris is the first female and mixed south-Asian/Africa American to be elected California's attorney general and has had great success in targeting human trafficking, gun use, immigrant rights, etc in CA.
You could, of course, use the example of Obama.

That's just an idea, and I've probably waffled too much. :s-smilie:

Black Senators
Tim Scott (R-South Carolina), 2013-
William "Mo" Cowan (D-Massachusetts), 2013-

Hispanic senators
Robert Menendez (D-New Jersey), 2006-
Marco Rubio (R-Florida), 2011-
Ted Cruz (R-Texas), 2013-

API
Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), 2013-

Congressmen:
45 African american in congress
38 Hispanic
13 API
Original post by Beccabarrow
yeah I'm really worried :frown: but there's only so much we can do and I can remember my essay from the prelim, it's just the media i know nothing on :/

i suppose. maybe looking at it a lil wouldnt hurt :frown: just dont want to revise something that wont come up when everybody seems to sure itll be on voting systems :P
Reply 1192
Original post by skier16
Does anyone by any chance have any Health and Wealth essay plans I could have a look at? Especially the one about Government policies to reduce race or gender inequalities.

If anyone has any and doesn't mind that would be great! I have plans for USA, Global Security and Voting Systems / behaviour that I can send in return if you want :smile:
could i get any of your plans please?
Reply 1193
does anybody have an essay plan for the effects of income on health?
Reply 1194
I really, really hope one of the questions that asks you about the effect of an individual factor on health comes up (lifestyle choice, social class, income), they're the best.
My predictions are as follows:

A2- backbench mps/pressure groups
A4- voting systems
B- lifestyle choices on wealth/health or collectivist vs individualist approach to health care
China - social/economic reforms or inequalities
What are you's thinking for wealth and health then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
is anyone doing practice DME's, don't know if it's worth it or not
Could someone please send me a plan and or practice essay on how social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK ?! I have practice essays for USA, Development and politics in Africa, AMS v FPTP, collectivist individualist , lifestyle choices limiting good health, NGOs and some for section 1A which i'll send in return!!
Original post by roarwalk49
Could someone please send me a plan and or practice essay on how social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK ?! I have practice essays for USA, Development and politics in Africa, AMS v FPTP, collectivist individualist , lifestyle choices limiting good health, NGOs and some for section 1A which i'll send in return!!

Ill send you mines for the collectivist v Individualist?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending